BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Blended ByJoe Lankford
Blend TypeBalkan
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringBourbon
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable
3.8
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The constituent tobaccos are the same as regular Plum Pudding. The smoky, woodsy, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component that is an occasional team player with the Orientals. The woody, earthy, floral, dry, herbal, vegetative, and lightly buttery sweet, spicy Orientals are an important supporting player. The Virginias have a little grass and light tart and tangy citrus along with a bit of earth, wood, bread, and some tangy, piquant dark fruit with a touch of “barbecue” as the third star in the firmament. The spicy, raisiny, plumy, earthy, figgy perique is a minor player that lurks in the background. The unsweetened black cavendish adds some smoothing brown sugar to tame potential rough edges as well as adding a little dimension to the mixture. A pinch or two of gold cavendish adds a touch of toast, though it is often elusive. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. The strength starts a slot below the medium mark, but gathers a little potency by the half way mark, and settles at the medium threshold. The taste is medium at the start, and at the same spot the strength steps up to medium, the taste climbs a rung higher. It won't bite or get harsh, and has no rough edges. It is aged for thirty days in charred oak Kentucky bourbon barrels, a chunk of which is placed in every tin. While the Kentucky bourbon sublimates the varietals to a fair degree, it also synergistically helps form a deeply rich, sweet and mildly savory, complex, consistent flavor from start to finish.

It is an easily broken apart crumble cake that may need a light dry time, depending on your personal preference. It burns cool, clean, and a little slow, and will require a fair amount of relights. It leaves little moisture in the bowl. The pleasant, campfire sweet after taste and room note will linger a mite. This is an aromatic English that can be an all day smoke for the veteran as well as the less experienced. Four stars.

-JimInks

RondyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RondyR (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

The smoky, woodsy, earthy, musty... okay, I’m not Jim so you’re not gonna get his type of review from me.

What I can tell you is that this tobacco is DELICIOUS. I like Plum Pudding fairly well, absolutely love PP Special Reserve, and this is easily the best of the three. It is extremely easy to smoke, though it does not often want to stay lit (I didn’t allow any drying time for any of the bowls I’ve smoked so far but I will the next) and it never bites no matter how often or how hard you puff. I hit it like it was a delicious snickerdoodle milkshake and it never even considered biting me.

This blend is a huge winner. Stock up on it before I buy it all.

Pipe Used: Scott Kline Handmade

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: SPC Plum Pudding and Plum Pudding Special Reserve, just with the taste of bourbon..

Unab8dLy4m Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Unab8dLy4m (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Delightfully distinguished... I will start off by saying that the bourbon in the tin note is delightful and strong. I took one of the slices out of the tin, crumbled it very easily, and left it out to dry for an hour. Not that it necessarily needs any drying time, I just find Cyprian Latakia to hold a good bit of moisture. Between this blend and Gentleman Caller I am not sure which I would rather have as a cologne. The bourbon is there and in my opinion noticed throughout the bowl; however, it does not take away from the smoke. The normal burnt rubber, spicy goodness of Cyprian Latakia is complimented with a tingle of bourbon in the nose and on the tongue. Although, that could also be the Perique. I do not believe it to be bite. Sweetness from the Virginia came in towards the middle of the bowl, which was welcomed on my palate. The blend really melds well towards the end of the bowl when the Orientals kick in. That is when you can tell the blender was going for Balkan qualities in the tobacco. This is a very good contemplative blend. Let me get this out of the way - this is nothing like Frog Morton Cellar. If you were hoping for such, keep hoping. I cannot say for sure, but I am pretty sure FMC was topped with something and this blend is not. This blend is infused and smokes as such. Is it a 4-star blend? Absolutely. Just do not get into it expecting it to be what it is not. #PeacefulPuffs

Pipe Used: Morgan Bones Arbutus

StevieB (1958)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged.

My blend's more broken than the picture here, over a third of the tin could just be stuffed and puffed! Just the nose from the tin indicates that the aging in bourbon barrels has permeated the tobaccos with a good amount of whiskey. The pieces of kake are dark with a very seldom amount of lighter specks. It's quite moist but not wet.

I'm impressed by the amount of flavour from the aging process. This has given the tobacco more than just a 'hint' of bourbon, making it a lot more aromatic than I'd anticipated; not 'strong', but still definite. Like Plum Pudding original the tobaccos have a smooth, sweet, sumptuous, Balkan flavour; it isn't a Lat-Bomb and the Perique gives just a spot of plummy fruit; there's no real spice from it. To my palate the star of the smoke is the bourbon. It burns without a glitch, making a cool, thick, palpable, smoke.

Nicotine: medium at a push. Room-note: quite nice.

Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged? Very unique and worthy of four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Tekin Meer'

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (45)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Some call this an "aromatic" but that isn't the case at all to my mind. In a way, this designation seems to arise from a very 'purist' notion.

An aromatic is generally understood to be a (usually lower grade) tobacco that has been essentially saturated in some sort of simulated flavouring -- which is what gives the aromatic scent of the smoke when it burns as well. This is not that.

This is your usual, high-grade, Penzance-like, Plum Pudding blend that has then been aged inside old bourbon barrels and as such it has become infused with some of that scent and flavour just by association. (It's not PP saturated in bourbon flavouring in other words.) This is why it doesn't smell like an aromatic when smoked, and the taste is extremely mild. The main place you notice the bourbon is the tin note (and in significant part that is because they've also included a bourbon barrel stave in the tin itself, so you're inheriting a lot of the scent from it.)

Overall, I'm still trying to decide what I think about the blend. I like it, though in some ways I think I may still prefer the traditoinal PP blend, if only because it has the "brownie in a bowl" thing going on as you smoke it down. PPBBA doesn't quite have that, likely because of the charactertistics that come from the bourbon barrel aging.

Still it's a good blend overall, and a nice way to change up PP, and something I definitely want in the cellar. The main downside on that front is the price point, sitting at around $19 USD for a 2oz. tin. That makes it a little 'stiff' to stock up on in any great numbers. Hopefully SPC will consider putting out an 8oz. tin of this at some point with some additional savings, just like they do for their regular PP blend.

Overall, I think for this type of so-called crossover blend, McClelland's FMC is still the better of the two to my own taste, but that may be just because I'm not a huge fan of perique (which PP and PPBBA has).

Similar Blends: Frog Morton's Cellar, Plum Pudding, Esoterica Pembroke.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (258)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I got a notice several days ago from an online pipe and tobacco retailer that this was back in stock. So, with nerves of steel and swearing that this would be my last purchase for some time as my cellar is becoming a little too much for me to mentally handle, I ordered 3 tins of this, one Mississippi River as I have not tried that either and some pipe cleaners. As with the rum I tried last week, I opened the tin and was greeted with a very sweet smell, souvenir bourbon oak cask block and a nice selection of brown broken flakes similar to what I had with the rum. The flavoring of this one really compliments the tobacco and after a few bowls of this yesterday and today I started to really appreciate the mellowness of this one. This is no powerhouse smoke but if you like bourbon definitely pick some up. Though classified as an aromatic this is definitely not your run of the mill drug store variety which I never thought it would be. If I was still a drinker, I would have paired this with some good ole Jack but instead enjoyed it with a few cups of coffee on the porch after work. A nice way to end the week and start the weekend. I will try to remember and bring some to the club and let some of the guys who have not tried it smoke a bowl.

Pipe Used: Peterson 307

snow901 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snow901 (4)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Plum Pudding is one of my favorites and so I bought this to see if the bourbon added or detracted from Plum Pudding. Smoking the tobacco immediately after opening the tin, the bourbon is a bit too strong and covers the subtle flavors I enjoy in Plum Pudding. However, canning the tobacco and letting sit for about a month and smoking it again, the bourbon mellowed and I am now able to pick up the flavors I typically get in the straight tobacco. The bourbon now plays a less dominant role and adds to the overall flavor profile. If you are turned off by the bourbon upon first opening the tin, let it sit for a while and try it again. I think you will really like what the bourbon does for Plum Pudding.

Age When Smoked: 30 days

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (105)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my favorite iteration of this blend yet! Sure they took the idear from FMC but they improved upon it and far surpassed Frog Morton Cellar. This stuff is just delicious! I think this stuff is on par with Smokers Heaven Cognac Mixture & Esoterica’s Pembroke, sure those two are topped with cognac and this one here is flavored in bourbon barrels but the end result is just a different variation of the same theme. Liquor toppings usually don’t get me excited but hotdog this blend has got me all excited! Don’t get me wrong, I think FMC was tasty, it reminded me of smoked egg nog but the blend itself was just too light for my taste, I never did get into the McClelland’s English blends, I went to them for their VA’s. For those seeking something similar to FMC but would prefer a more stout, full bodied smoke than this is it. If you love. Cognac Mixture and/or Pembroke but are tired of hunting them down and paying a premium, I would highly recommend this one. This is the best new English (Latakia) blend I’ve seen in a long, long time. Hats off to Joe Langford for improving on the idear.

Essential

Similar Blends: Smokers' Haven - Cognac Mixture, Esoterica Tobacciana - Pembroke.

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (86)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

"It's okay -- some aromatics are actually pretty good" . . .

-------------------------------------------------

And SPCPPBBA is one of them! (Yes -- I did indeed take the liberty of ascribing SPCPPBBA to Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged blend).

Not only does this latest iteration of Plum Pudding come with a bourbon flavoring -- and not a whisky (Scotch) flavoring -- but it also contains the Black Cavendish/Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish & Perique that FMC never did -- and it is so much more complex and refined than FMC ever was -- I can't imagine why anyone would think this was SPC's version of FMC. The barrel stave inside the tins of both blends were all that the two ever had in common, aside from both being aromatics, that is. But both FMC and PPBA were/are aromatics that do not taste and/or smoke like an typical aromatics (oily, overly gooped fire starter that burns like napalm in a bowl -- yes, I'm looking at you, Molto Dolce) but rather smokes and tastes like the expertly crafted blend that it is. Wonderful stuff this latest issue of Plum Pudding is indeed, and so hat's off to Joe Lankford for his Plum Pudding hat trick -- a perfect Plum Pudding trifecta! SPC Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged: If you can find it, buy it! (And -- as always -- if you want to know what this stuff actually tastes like, see JimInks' review).

Fixit98 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fixit98 (1)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

So l really liked Mississippi River when it cam out and even more than plum pudding. I ordered a can of Mississippi Reserve when it came out, but I had a 4oz can of plum puddin not long after it was introduced and it was good too but not as good as m.r. Until spc introduced plum pudding bourbon barrel aged. This stuff is really good and the bourbon mellows out the taste. So I’m writing this because I had some bourbon that I introduced to some normal plum pudding that I had and it’s a natural match. So try it if y’all haven’t yet. Happy smoking!!

Pipe Used: Corn cob