Penny Farthing is a shag cut blend of bright and red Virginias, spiced with Louisiana perique and a hint of fire cured dark Kentucky. It's easy to pack, easy to smoke. Sipped gently, Penny Farthing opens with a sophisticated sweetness, evolving in depth and complexity throughout the bowl to a rich, satisfying finish.

BrandG. L. Pease
Strength
Taste
Pastor Padron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pastor Padron (3)

This shag cut blend is a mix of bright and red Virginia, Perique and a bit of Kentucky fire-cured. It packs and lights easily and burns fast because of the cut. There are notes of sweet hay and grass from the Virginias and plenty of spice from the Perique. The Kentucky brings some earthiness and hints of nuts here and there in a supportive role, but the Virginia and the Perique are the major players. As the description says on the tin, sip slowly, or it will burn hot! If you like shag cut tobacco and VaPer blends, this is definitely worth a try. I think it will age well too. I'll get back to you on that... Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Impero 920KS

Purchased From: Twins Smoke Shop, Londonderry, NH, USA 609-421-0242 www.twinssmokeshop.com

BrokenRecord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrokenRecord (57)

Penny Farthing: A Shagging VaPer

With this new blend, Mr Pease—also known as the Willy Wonka of the tobacco world—has produced a solid new VaPer that fits nicely in his existing line up between Stratford and Telegraph Hill.

The red Virginias seem to be the core component of this blend and offer an earthy-tangy foundation. The lighter Virginias gives the smoke some grassy-bright notes. The perique is noticeable with a hit of fermented spiciness that plays well with the small amount of dark-fired leaf, which adds a delicately oak-smoky undertone to the mix. The shag cut is quite nice, burning evenly with no harshness.

Even with the addition of a small amount of dark-fired leaf, I would still consider this blend a VaPer.

Edit August 2019: Though I normally smoke unfiltered pipes, this blend is absolute perfection in a 9mm filtered pipe.

Similar Blends: Rattray's VaPers and GL Pease Telegraph Hill and Stratford.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (112)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Very rounded mix where ingredients mixed around in unified taste experience. Although the cut is fine but its not as fine as 5 brothers/dark birds eye kinda cut, it look like mini ready rubbed cut blend, looking at it reminds me of McClelland black s... hag. It is slightly sweet and smokey did not overwhelm me by strength so the perique is not heavily added but you can certainly feel it on the retrohale. Burns relativly ok for a shag, they usually go faster but as with all shag cut tobacco packing it carefully is required so you dont plug the draft. Typical gl pease taste from the same component, think jack knife triple play/six pence in a shag form. I bought few to see what age may add to it but for the time being 3 stars and some change. Al janabi

Pipe Used: Narrow chambered briars

Similar Blends: Triple play gl pease, six pence gl pease.

RonR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RonR (25)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

3rdGuy

I am loving this blend. First off I love a shag cut. Easy to pack, you can even overpack it and probably get away with it. 2 or 3 touches of the flame and most times you can put your lighter away on this one. Plenty of bright Virginias and Reds. Perique is very present as well. I have been smoking a fair amount of Exclusive recently and I can readily pick up the perique in here. The Kentucky adds some body. Puts off plenty of smoke. On occasion some of my bowls get a little harsh at the end.

You know this is going to age well. Solid blend but I am not surprised considering the pedigree.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs.

Age When Smoked: June 2019 tin dates

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

G. L. Pease - Penny Farthing.

I normally shy away from shag cut blends, favouring flakes, kakes or coarse blends; enabling a longer smoke. But Penny Farthing? Mesmeric! I can't put a pipe of it down; I best order some more as this tin's going fast!

It's a medium brown, fine shag, with a very enticing aroma. The smell's one of very rich tobacco, with a touch of spices, and a slight hint of lemon. The moistness of it's good, and the fine cut makes for easy filling.

The flavour's nice and full. Plenty of sumptuous, opulent, Perique; this takes the lead. Although the Perique leads it doesn't have the taste of just pepper. The Perique's fruity, and rich, as well as being spicy. The Virginias are nicely balanced with one another. I note fresh, sharp, bright Va's and more than enough decadent reds. The Kentucky gives a smoky, woody, 'rural', note in a subordinate role; I don't find P.F. to be a smoky, fire-cured, bitter, mess! Because the cut of it's fine a bowl doesn't last too long. But, although it burns quicker I don't find the temperature too much. Bite? I've smoked half a tin in quick time (I love it!) and haven't been bitten once by it.

Nicotine: strong. Room-note: not too bad.

Penny Farthing? As you probably gathered, I love it! Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson #221

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (161)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

At my past weekly pipe club meeting, our local brick and mortar tobacco store had this as a new addition. I try to make a point to buy something because for me I do not want to spend hours at someone’s establishment and not support the store. So, in a way it is like paying informal pipe club dues. I am getting somewhere so bear with me. California has some of the highest tobacco taxes I have ever seen. This is no reflection on the store because they have to pass the taxes on to the consumer but this tin set me back $18.25 a 2 oz tin plus sales tax. On line I can get it for $11.05 plus shipping or even free shipping with a certain price point. There are actual very few pipe and cigar stores left in this state due to the high cost of operating a business, tobacco taxes, etc. We do have a lot of cigarette stores but no place to sit down and converse with like fellows who enjoy the hobby. So, to all my fellow pipe club smokers wherever you are, I encourage you to support your local shop as I am sure we all do or we won't have anyplace left to rest our pipes. Since I got my sticker shock experience out of the way on to the review. This is definitely a fine shag cut with a few broken pieces scattered throughout the tin. Nice mild sweet smell, can’t really put in words what it reminds me of but it is a pleasant sweet Virginia smell. This of course lights quickly and can burn fast. I took the suggestion from the tin and tried sipping this blend. Sort of reminds me of a milder version of D&R’s Picayune blend. Good blend, especially if you like shag cut tobaccos like I do. And by the way I am surprised I beat out some of the Legends on this site that have not yet reviewed this one. Yea! And it is even advertised on the page of the website.

Pipe Used: Altinay Meerschaum Poker

Ash Ryan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ash Ryan (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin note is typical of the component tobaccos, with a hint of dark chocolate and fruity alcohol. The moisture content is perfect, no drying time needed for me. This is my first experience with a shag and it behaved very nicely. I pack it tighter than usual and it burns relatively slowely to a fine white ash. The flavor weaves through the component tobaccos depending on your cadence and gets spicier throughout the bowl. It’s similar to Sixpence, but stronger and with less boozy casing. Nic level is on the high side of medium for me. I’ll be buying more for sure.

Pipe Used: Tekin meerschaum

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: G.L. Pease Sixpence.

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (131)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

I think I might have found the perfect blend for my Radiator Pipes. The shag cut is not something I'd normally reach for as I think of the cut as being more for Roll-your-own (RYO) cigarettes than for smoking.

The tin note is VaPer. The cut is a true shag and was the perfect moisture. It's easy to pack, just be careful not to over "tamp" it down so that it gets good airflow. Easy to light (doesn't even usually require a charring light) and easy burning.

No tongue bite even if pushed a little. Medium Nicotine content.

The perique is the star in most bowls being supported by the Kentucky which gives it some darkness. I find some sweet notes from the Virginias, but they are in the background.

Due to the cut, it wants to burn quick. It might be the perfect blend for commutes or even a lunch-time smoke. You can pack a medium sized bowl and get a good smoke which will last 20-30 mins.

I'll be stocking some of this in my rotation for those occasions.

Pipe Used: Radiator

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Tin

DragonBriars Josh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DragonBriars Josh (2)

This is the perfect blend for all day summer sipping. This will be a great blend to just slow your roll with. The shag cut makes for a easy 1 match light with probably no relight. Immediately after lighting the show begins. First star of the show are the Virginia's. A well balanced ballet of hay and dried fruit. Then the supporting act brings a little spice and body. The dark fired and perique twirl around on the back side of the stage throughout the whole show. To me this is Sixpence lite shag cut. Very similar profiles, but with such complexity that they are completely different. I smoked this blend in quite a few different pipes and have narrowed it down to my 3 favorite styles. It basically comes down to your bowl size and depth. Reach for your deepest bowl that is 3/4" in diameter maximum. My 3 favorite pipes were a meerchaum billiard with a 3/4" diameter bowl at 1.5" deep, next pipe a very large deep cob, pipe 3 a briar stack straight billiard with a 3/4" bowl that is 2.25" deep. Whatever you smoke it in, the object is to barely keep it lit. Delights are fine. It just means you are doing your job. Great with iced tea, coffee, iced coffee, beer, whiskey.

Pipe Used: Dragon Briars, John Keller cob, meerchaum

Similar Blends: G L Pease Sixpence.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The cut is a chopped shag, and the tobacco components are a mix of browns and tans. Pouch note is untopped tobacco with a whiff of bread. I did not pick up any other notes. It came on the slightly dry side of perfect. I smoked it as delivered and packed it firmly in a pot.

It is a great smoke. I found it was easy to keep lit, and it is a goop-free smoking experience. It has a solid Virginia base with the hay and heavy sweet you expect. There is a little of the overripe fruit, and that may be the perique or the Virginias. There is a spicy quality and some earthy notes I attribute to the Kentucky. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I did not find this to be a quick smoke. It was easy to sip, and burned cool for me.

I find the perique & Kentucky combo to be one that works very well. Another one in this category I like a lot is GLP Cumberland. The Cumberland is a little fuller on the taste for me, and the Kentucky gives it a more burley-forward flavor.

Don't get this if you have a nicotine aversion, but it is very tasty and well done. It is an easy 4 if you qualify given the nicotine disclaimer.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (139)

This blend struck me as a very sophisticated blend. The flavore profile is somewhat unique, having Kentucky, Perique, mixed with both Red and Bright virginia. Penny farthing seems to reveal the most of its flavor in a bowl with a large diameter. In my chase, the pot was clearly the best pipe to smoke it in. The nature of the blend demands a cleaan pipe, and a slow sipping cadence, otherwise very little of the intrigue hidden within is revealed. The shag cut burns very well, and is easy to control. The red virginia is fully sweet, and less grassy then expected. There is the toasty and deep bbq notes from the darked fired Kentucky and the perique adds the hint of spiciness that really rounds outvthe blend.

That gets me to the slight disappointment-- the bright Virginias. The Bright virginia is a little harsh and the lemon/citrus notes have not been fully liberated and married to the Kentucky and Red Virginia notes as of yet. I would fully expect that to happen with a full year age figuring from now.

Continued smoking continues to release complex notes of figs,raisins, Cajun rub, and a number of others. This complexity continues to the end. I currently rate thiis at three stars with one year of age most likely making this a four star. That rating comes with the strong admonition to smoke this by sipping gently and slowly in a large bowled pipe.

Pipe Used: Jobey Laurel Pot, Savinelli Autograph 5 Canadian

Age When Smoked: upon release

Purchased From: Indian River Tobacco Traders

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (93)

There is a difference between shag cut pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco . The Penny Farthing cut is so fine that it is difficult to smoke in a pipe . Such a cut in a pipe burns fast and burns hot . The tin note and composition of the blend is promising with its Virginia- perique- combination but any flavor that might have been captured seems lost due to the burn . I found that it caused tongue bite and a really hot feeling in the mouth . I know that Greg Pease is a serious blender who strives for quality but I think that this one got away from him .

THEM! Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THEM! (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Good to the last drop. This blend lights easily, stays lit and smokes without drama until there is simply none left. This is my first tin and I've been smoking it all through my work days. If I get carried away, for me anyway, it can give a pretty strong nicotine hit (another thing, besides the look of the cut, that it has in common with 5 Brothers). It's simply a tasty, mellow (and mellowing) smoke. I will be buying more.

Pipe Used: clay/briar

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (172)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Captivating blend. Spicy. Full mouth feel.

Shag yea. Pack firm. Puff slowly. Right moisture on dry side.

Citrus Va taste.

Reminds me of an old codger Va — Virginia Extra from LA. Too strong. This is not so, but full mouth feel.

If you don’t like some spicy Perique, don't be tempted. Could be a “Penny Deadful” to you then.

But to the rest of us a treat while hunting for a big foot.

A most unusual blend in Master Pease’s lineup. Smoked a full tin of course. Will grow on you.

Pipe Used: Modern kaywoodie

Purchased From: SPC

Similar Blends: Strafford, some D&R periques.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (150)

So, is Penny Farthing “zesty”, or “hot”? I’m going with “zesty” (and 4 stars). YMMV, of course, and my guess is that some smokers who are more used to or attuned to more “conditioned” tobacco (English or European) might find this GLP offering to be more intense than expected, and most of this this tobacco forward taste is in a higher register than usual. My young tin full was cut to a classic fine shag, with some broken flake to prove real, flue cured VA flake was included. Colors range from golden, to red brown and dark brown, reflecting predominant bright, flue cured VAs, air cured and maybe a little stoved red VAs, a significant portion of Perique, and a dash of KY. Tin note is muted, smelling somewhat of fresh wheat bread, a tiny bit sharp, and a little yeasty. PF handles, loads, lights and smokes like a dream. I pack it snugly in a larger bowl, because of the cut, and it’s best, I think, to follow Mr. Pease’s advice and just sip this one, not only to minimize bite but this also affords one’s best chance at getting the most from this blend, which might come off as a codger RYO without due consideration. Given proper consideration, PF is a high quality VA/Per with some KY added for undertones and interest. The bright VAs lead with tangy grasses that either sparkle or bite, depending on how one smokes it, also how one handles flue cured VAs that are not all that mild to begin with. The small quantity of red VAs takes it down a notch, at least in terms of “frequency”, but their paucity yields just a trace of earth and dark fruit. There’s ample Perique that’s rather dry and a little sour, also more zippy spice than fruit. The KY adds just a little nutty tannin and smoke, along with the aforementioned under tones. If you insist that tobacco be sweet, pass on this one. Strength just toes over medium. Tastes are just over medium. Room note is pretty nice for a blend with Perique. Aftertaste is a slow trailing off of the best of the smoke. It lingers long and leaves a great taste in my mouth.

Again, the “trick” with Penny Farthing is to take it easy, top to bottom. Not sure how it will age, given the cut, but I like it fine right out of a young tin. It hasn’t replaced any of my favorites yet, but that doesn’t stop me from giving it 4 stars.

Pipe Used: various #5 and 6 briars

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to C&D Redburn or Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd.