An age-old crumble cake consisting of mature red Virginias, latakia, burley, and Oriental tobaccos. A true Balkan style blend for any English smoker.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging1.5 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

3.8

The woody, earthy, musty, lightly leather-like and moderately sweet Cyprian latakia is the lead component, though it doesn’t dominate the other varietals. In a strong support role are the various aged, tangy red Virginias, which offer dark fruit, quite a bit of earth, some wood, and extremely light floral, sour and bread notes. The floral, dry, mildly buttery sweet and sour, earthy, woody Orientals fall a step below the red Virginias in the line up for the most part, though once in a while, it’s almost even money. The nutty, earthy, woody, lightly sweet burley is just below the level of the Orientals in terms of effect. The strength and taste marks are medium. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. No chance of bite or harshness, but a rough edge may pop up here and there. The crumble cake is mildly moist, and easy to break apart. Well balanced with a little complexity, it burns cool, clean and a touch slow with a fairly consistent, tangy sweet and mildly savory flavor all the way to the last ember. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires a few relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste, and the room note is not very pungent. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and is certainly repeatable for the less experienced.

-JimInks

Lager Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lager (22)

Jimlinks is probably one of the best reviewers on this web site. He has a way of describing tobacco's like no one else. Also,his tastes are very similar to mine. This is a wonderful cake with just the right moisture level and breaks up easy for a good pack. Fold and stuff will not work here. Although I feel this is a tad more Burley foward it may be just a matter of taste. I am usually not much of a Sutliff fan but they did very well on this one. Come on Pipestud you need to get your review in, we are waiting.... Smoke in Peace- Lager ( formerly Budman)

Pipe Used: Savs, petes

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

mattfro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mattfro (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The tobacco in the tin had almost a bourbon quality to it. Smokey and earthy and spicy. The smoke was thick and long lasting. The first few times I smoked it I mostly tasted Latakia. After I smoked it for a while I could taste sweet Virginia and fruitiness. The nicotine hit was interesting. It came on slowly and lasted for a little while. Overall a smooth smoke good to smoke all day.

Pipe Used: Peterson 01

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Top Shelf Cigars

Nice looking crumble cake that breaks apart easily, but not much "shake" in the tin. I always have to be careful loading crumble cakes so that I don't get a bunch of tobacco on my tongue, so I left larger pieces at the bottom of the pipe as usual and this worked well.

Adding burley to the age-old recipe of latakia, Virginia and orientals brings a new dimension to any "Balkan" tobacco, and this one was no exception. When burley is added, there is often a nice nutty sweetness that is a bit like a nut with a light sugar coating, rather than a plain nut on one side or candy on the other. I suppose it's the burley melding with the rest of the constituent tobaccos. I'd say the latakia led the show here, but not by much. That sweet burley had a nice loud voice and the orientals lent a nice offsetting sour note. The Virginias were to the rear but were backseat drivers, exhibiting a depth and tang that reminded me of their Red VA crumble cake. The entire concoction was well balanced but leaned toward the sweet, which suited me just fine! I probably won't buy anymore of this but it was a fun ride. Worth noting is that this is one tobacco I did not allow to dry out much, as doing so made it taste rough and dirty.

I've been pulling for Sutliff since my first introduction to their blends, but they always fell well short of what I would consider a reference. However, they seem to be upping their game lately, and that is a good sign for things to come.

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (70)

Let me start by saying that Sutliff has been very good to me of late. First, with the discovery of their Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1, and then, with these 3 beauties: the Red Virginia Crumble Kake; the Va. Perique Crumble Kake, and finally with this excellent English #1 Crumble Kake. Four Sutliffs -- four consecutive grand-slam blends in a row -- just fantastic creations, all four of them.

Regarding the crumbles: All three in the series are vintage, old fashioned crumble cakes (though I've only been piping for 5 years, so I must confess to having no real idea of what a "vintage" or "old fashioned" crumble cake would have actually looked like, but these three very much do resemble what I imagined a vintage, old fashioned crumble would have indeed looked like -- they really do present a pleasing visual, with an arresting allure).

JimInks' spot-on review of this beautiful American blend kind of sucked all the oxygen out of the room, so I will save everyone's time and simply recommend his crisp critique of the stuff in question.

Randy Tuggle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Randy Tuggle (44)

This blend is absolutely remarkable. A perfect mixture of Burley and red Virginias with Latakia being so perfectly noticeable - while Orientals add an incredibly perfect spice to the mix. Is this a dream? It holds flavor perfectly throughout the smoking experience. I predict that this will become one of the most sought after blends in America. This will leave you speechless. Thank God for Sutliff!

Pipe Used: Rossi Rubino

Purchased From: TobaccoPipes.com

Similar Blends: Esoterica Penzance.

StevieB (1903)

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Crumble Kake English #1.

I'm impressed with the new Sutliff Crumble Kake series!

The tin holds just two slices of kake, speckled in colour, nicely hydrated, with a medium weight English aroma. A piece crumbles perfectly.

The Latakia's a lead player, however the other ingredients prohibit this from being a 'Bomb. I find the Latakia as equal with wood, as it is smokiness. The Burley gives a rough, course, edge to the smoke, and dries it somewhat. I find the Burley stronger for the initial quarter. The red Virginias give some pizazz, in the form of succulent, sweet, fruit; it's a decadent flavour. I get an acidulated touch from the Orientals, which gains strength as the bowl progresses; taking the stance that the Burley had at the start, by the time the bowl comes to an end. It burns and smokes easily; consistent, cool, and devoid of bite.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: I don't mind it.

Crumble Kake English #1? Simple, highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Comoys Elegance

rap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rap (9)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is a really enjoyable and pleasing pipe tobacco but it certainly does not taste like a typical English blend to me. Perhaps it is the way it is prepared, in a pressed cake, that causes the flavors of the various components to meld together in such a way that a singular, unique flavor is achieved. Not only is the taste not typical English, the inclusion of Burley would technically preclude this from being classified as English based on the ingredients. So it is odd that Sutliff decided to call this "English #1". It is also odd they they call it a crumble cake as it really is presented in thick "slices", similar in appearance to Bengal Slices. So, while upon opening the tin I was disappointed that this is really not an English or a cake, I was more than delighted with the unique tin note and wonderful flavor of the smoke. To my palate, the flavors of the tobaccos meld so well together that it is difficult to pick out any particular variety but I definitely think that the Virginias provide the backbone of this blend, providing the base upon which all the flavors come together, almost like a canvas for a painting. The Latakia is present but it is not overpowering, lending a nice smokey and woodsy note. The orientals are barely noticeable on their own but the spice and incense they bring is an important part of the overall flavor.

This Blend is mild but has plenty of flavor and produces a nice, slightly sweet and creamy smoke. I would call this a Spicy Virginia, much more pleasing and complex to me than a VaPer, for example, but not as robust as a true English. I prepared this by cutting off a thin (2mm) slice across the grain and rubbing out the slice into tiny bits. I packed this fairly loosely in my Savinelli KS320 bowl such that this small, rubbed out slice, filled the entire bowl. It took a couple of charring lights to get going but once lit, burned down to the bottom of the bowl with no relights and zero moisture or dottle at the bottom. Prepared this way, the tobacco burned very cool and slow and had absolutely no hint of bite.

This is definitely not an "also ran" blend. It is definitely unique and absolutely something that you should try, no matter what genre of tobacco blends you typically smoke. You really can't miss with this blend unless you are strictly a Lat Bomb devotee.

Pipe Used: Savinelli KS320

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: This is similar to Bengal Slices without the anise topping.

mel64us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel64us (43)

Crumble Kake #1 is a very nice blend. I couldn't write a better review than Jiminks on this. Smooth flavor, slow burning. I found no moisture in the bottom of my bowl, but YMMV.

Pipe Used: Peterson, MM cob