Generous amounts of perique are combined with black cavendish and a variety of mature red Virginias. The combination is then processed into an old fashioned crumble cake to create a VaPer lover's dream.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging1.5 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

3.4

The tangy, earthy, woody, lightly floral and bready, dark fruity matured red Virginias are the lead components. The tingly spicy, raisiny, plummy, perique is a supporting player. The unsweetened black cavendish provides a little smoothing sugar in the background. The perfectly intermingled varietals create a harmonious, deep, consistent sweet and lightly savory flavor from start to finish. The strength level barely reaches medium, while the taste sits squarely on that mark. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. This mildly moist crumble kake easily breaks apart and burns cool, clean, and a tad slow. Hardly leaves any dampness in the bowl, and depending on how one prepares the tobacco, may require some relights. Has a very pleasant, mildly lingering after taste and room note. The blend packs a little punch, but not enough to preclude it from being an all day smoke, especially for veteran pipers.

-JimInks

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (85)

I can't give this 4. It's a nice presentation, smells like good clean va/per fun in the tin - a little sharp but some deeper tastes are promised in the tin note. Busted up, filled and lit, no trouble. It is a little sharp at first but settles down into a pleasant but to me unremarkable va/per sort of taste. It hits me as a little unrefined to be honest. If I think of Navy Rolls or any of the other real classic va/pers, I am reminded of the balance they offer, the interplay between sweet virginias, leaf selected for body, and perique, I find that missing here. It's got a little spice, and enough sweetness to balance it, but the basic flavor is just that - a little spice and a little sweetness and I don't have a lot else to hold on to. I could not, for example, specify how this is in any way better than Sutliff's other va/per, the 1849.

Glad I tried it, and I'll throw a tin in the cellar, but this isn't in the same class to me as other top-notch va/pers (Solani 633, Gawith Cabbie's, DNR, Scottish Cake). It lacks a softness and a fullness which these all present. Room note sees approval from Mrs. Squatch.

EDIT bumped up to 3. No bite, friendly smoke, lots of worse stuff out there.

Pipe Used: big and small

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Sutliff 1849.

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Crumble Kake Va. Perique.

Love it!

Well, Fridays are my favourite smoking day of the week. I always use, on this day, my prized Altinok Meer', based on the model formerly owned by the actor Lee Van Cleef; I bought this as a present to myself after spending a year, ill, in hospital; so, I love smoking it! And, this is the ultimate blend to fill my best pipe with!

The tin holds two, thick, slices of dark kake, which emanate a dark-fruit aroma, have the moistness I like (a little damp), and although they're fairly thick I don't need to rub too efficaciously; a gentle hand produces the perfect consistency. I like mine to be a little chunky when I fill my pipe.

From first light, at the risk of sounding melodramatic, the smoke is heavenly. To my palate, there's a hearty amount of fruity, slightly spicy, Perique, which intertwines perfectly with the doughy, bready, Virginias. The black Cavendish is a lesser addition; this brings a euphonious, soothing quality, and prevents any rough edges becoming apparent. Because I keep my kake fairly coarse to smoke it I get a slow, cool, steady, burn, with the number of relights being a tautological and superfluous topic; it goes perfectly!

Nicotine: a little less than medium. Room-note: not bad.

Crumble Kake Va. Perique? Four stars, easily:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday pipe

Age When Smoked: One month

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (68)

Opening the tin, I’m greeted by a couple of superbly crafted, handsomely hewn cakes that smelled of spice, raisins, fig, notes of bread, accompanied by a faint whisper of vinegar. The Virginias bring the tang, dark fruit, bread and hay, while the Perique delivers the pepper that tingled almost the entire tongue. It’s the addition of the Cavendish, however, that really characterizes this blend and sets it apart from the more orthodox VaPers -- those containing only Virginia and Perique. The cake itself, a Goldilocks crumble (virtually identical to that of the Red Virginia release in this series), which has a semi-soft, faintly moist, brownie-like texture. Pleasing to the touch and fun to crumble, it is indeed a cool, slow-burning blend. Lovely stuff, this crumble – highly recommended.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (147)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

I bought this gem last Sunday at my pipe club meeting. My first peeve is having square tobacco in a round tin but have complained about this in prior posts so I will move on. When I opened the tin and unfolded the paper doily the round black paper cover was creased and folded up like a triangle. Not sure if this is packaged by hand or not but it made me feel that whoever or whatever packaged this did not give a darn. Has a nice sweet VA smell out of the tin and there were two squared kakes about ¼ inch thick. It smokes smooth, slightly sweet but did not offer a whole lot for me. In fairness I have been smoking some Perique bombs lately and this blend did not have that Perique pizazz that I have come to like. For me this is an average smoke, maybe the VA’s need to age somewhat. I will not be buying this again. Sorry to be the first two-star reviewer, wait a minute, no I am not sorry. Ha. Good but not that good.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Tomcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomcat (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

On opening the can , very fruitful of fig and plum and raisons . Needed very little drying though moister than it appears . Very slow and even burning ! I like the cake presentation but I can’t get past the damn fruity taste ! Too much for me . I may try to mix it something else . It just smokes like an aromatic to me and not my cup of tea . Maybe too heavy on the casing ? Better than anniversary cake but not by very much ! Update 7/20 I left the rest of this after a few bowls in mason jar and tried it again . The topping must have eased off after some time but it is better than it was fresh out of tin ! I bumped it up to 3 stars .

Pipe Used: Large and medium size billiards

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Anniversary cake.

WolfmanSam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WolfmanSam (35)

Upon lighting, I’m greeted with tart and tanginess. The red Virginia is sour, vinegary, sweet, tart and mouthwatering. I also sense a tingling spiciness on my tongue. The perique is slightly sweet.

The burn rate is quite slow, but consistent and even. It’s medium in strength, and the nicotine level is slightly more than mild. I’ve smoked at least a dozen bowls in various briars and cobs. It smoked well in all varieties.

I highly recommend this tobacco. It will be appreciated by both VaPer and Red Virginia aficionados. It’s excellent now and I suspect it will age magnificently.

Antonius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Antonius (2)

Soft smooth and very tasty. This tobacco burns dry and slow with hardly any moisture ever. It’s a nice way to enjoy a smoke and reflect the day.

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Age When Smoked: 2018

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (63)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Reading the numerous positive reviews, I had to try this. I doubt I will buy again. It reminds me of a less complex and rich 5100. It's not a horrible blend, but it's not stellar. I enjoy the fuller and richer Va Pers, such as SG St James Flake, or Silliems Councilor flake.

2.9 stars