A blend selected Virginia tobaccos.

Notes: Dunhill Royal Yacht clone that was originally called Royal Island.

BrandRobert McConnell
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Blend TypeVirginia Based
FlavoringPlum
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

The Virginias provide a lot of citrus, grass, hay, earth, some dark fruit and wood, and light, dry floral and spice notes. I believe a pinch of dark fired is present as well, chiefly due to a slight smoky nuance that I have also detected in the original. The fermented plum topping is the star as it sublimates the tobaccos to a fair degree, though it does allow the varietals to speak to your taste buds. I also sense an added light fruit topping in the mix. The toppings are similar to Orlik’s Royal Yacht, but lack a little of the depth, sweetness, and delicate balance employed in that manufacture. The same can be said for the tobaccos to a mildly lesser extent compared to the Murray’s and Orlik brands. However, the toppings are a little closer to the Murray’s version than they are to the Orlik. The strength and taste levels are a couple of steps past medium, and both fall just short of the Orlik version of RY thresholds. The nic-hit is a rung short of medium. No chance of bite or harshness. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a very consistent flavor that continues on to the lingering after taste. Has a strong room note. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke. Three stars for its own merits, and two and a half stars as a match. I gave four stars to the Orlik version.

-JimInks

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (93)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

I smoked the old Dunhill Royal Yacht for over 20 years , from 1963 to 1983 when Dunhill production ended . Later on I smoked all of it's incarnations ending with the awful Orlick . The best was the older Mc Connell effort when Mc C was still Mc C . I believe , therefore , that Mc Connell had the original formula for Royal Yacht , they made it right after Dunhill went out in 1983 . The current effort is by K & K who took over the Mc Connell name . The tin note on this tobacco was so overwhelming that both I an a friend would not smoke it . I mean this smelled like strong brew . Clearly a strong topping . Later , after my friend left , I filled a small pipe with this sort of moist and stringy tobacco and humbly lept onto the breach , meaning I lit it . To my amazement this actually tasted like the Royal Yacht of old . Sort of the same " pequant" flavor , the strong nic hit , back from the dead after 30 years . Now original R.Y. was " pure shade grown Virginia" from the state of that name . This Virginia is surely from Africa , Asia or S. America and clearly is not shade grown . The fact is that they some how found the exact fit topping through some alchemy . Perhaps voodoo in the African tobacco . And yes , the old RY had a topping. I had not tasted that since Murry's went out and not really even then . If you liked Alfred's brew of old you will like this but it does lack the class and finish of those thrilling days of yester year . Never the less , the boat sails again . Good show K & K

Madox07 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Madox07 (21)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have postponed this for a while now ... I guess this is a very difficult review to write, as the temptation to write it in comparison to the predecessor of this heritage blend is very high. I will try to keep this as a single review, but please forgive me if I cannot refrain from mentioning Royal Yacht here and there. We have a Virginia based blend. To the naked eye it is a very dark blend, with lots of dark brown and black ribbons, and here and there you come across a small broken flake. I am no Virginia expert, but this is not your regular grassy Virginia, no sir. The nose is earthy, with a fine hint of plum topping. It packs nicely, although you may have to break the bits of broken flake if you have them laid out, otherwise you may need a few relights. The taste is sweet, but earthy, nothing but Virginia there, although not the grassy, citrussy light one. It's an upper medium nicotine blend, so you may want to watch your timing with your meal and all. I smoked this in filtered pipes (9mm ceramic), but then again Royal Yacht was another blend that I could only stand with a filter, otherwise it sure messed with my stomach. One question comes up ... where's the plum? While some considered the predecesor as a semi aromatic, I would definitely consider this blend a Virginia with some sort of topping. I say some sort, because the hint of plum is there, but it's more mute than the nose. After the second half of the bowl it seems to come out a tad more, but still quite discrete. I took my time with this. I used three different pipes in trying it out: Rossi 320, Savinelli Venere and a straight billiard Georg Jensen. The latter offered me the best experience of the three for the blend, not sure whether because the first two I used to smoke VA/Burs as well, and the third I keep just for Virginias, or may be the size of the bowl - the first two being quite bulky. When I say the best experience, again I am referring to the expected elements of the blend - so the third pipe better highlighted both the sweetness and the topping. Overall it's a good blend, not a Royal Yacht, or perhaps it's a better version of Royal Yacht for the critics. I would give this a 3/4, and as a nostalgia element I would buy a tin every so often. I am sorry, I cannot appreciate this blend without mentioning the predecesor that otherwise was a 4/4 blend for me.

Austin Gosling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Austin Gosling (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Tolerable

Royal Yacht has been my daily go to tobacco for some time, mostly due to its strength and burning characteristics. :

Strength about the same

Flavour better than RY (more delicate)

Room note about the same (according to my wife - I am not the best judge of room note)

Burning characteristics wetter out of the tin so not quite as good as RY, but when dry should be the same

Overall: McConnell have nailed it again! Old sign was another success, if supplying to those of us who love the soon to be discontinued Dunhill blends is the goal.

Pipe Used: Dunhill shell briar group 5

Purchased From: www.pfeifen-shop-online.de

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Royal Yacht.