The Borkum Riff Authentic recipe consists of black cavendish, flue cured Virginia, and burley tobacco.

The tobaccos are blended and warm pressed into plates. After resting, the plates are cut into flakes and rubbed.

BrandBorkum Riff
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Manufactured BySkandinavian Tobacco Group
Blend TypeAmerican
Packaging50 grams pouch
CountryCA
Strength
None Detected, Mild
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Mild to Medium
Unnoticeable, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.0
Pippin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pippin (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Due to new tobacco laws in Quebec, all flavored Tobaccos have been pulled from the shelves. The Borkum Riff Rum which I enjoyed years ago no longer exists. I purchased a new pouch of Authentic, which has the contents printed on the interior, so that you are obliged to purchase and open the pouch in order to read the description. The aroma in the pouch was not enticing, and the tobacco was very dry, considering it was a fresh pouch. Cut is OK, loads easily. This tobacco I found to be disgusting. Burns hot, not much taste, just acrid smoke. It actually made me ill. I have tried various blends of tobacco from various manufacturers, and although I may not like a blend, no tobacco has ever made me ill. This would seem to be a "when nothing else is available at the drugstore" tobacco for someone who desperately needs something, anything, to smoke. Myself, I will not touch it again.

Pipe Used: Briar

Purchased From: Convenience store

Worldly canadian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Worldly canadian (4)

I can't find anything on the interwebs about this tobacco, so I think it may only be available in Canada by the name "authentic" It's dry clean and steady burning with no bite despite having some virginia taste notes and produces a good volume of textural smoke. Our draconian tobacco labeling laws prevent any label description, but I would guess it's burly, blended with some Virginia and a touch of Cavendish. The casing and Topping are light enough that i don't conciously taste them as such. it just comes off like well cured tobacco to my taste. Has enough nicotine to satisfy me. Burns to a fine ash. I find it to be a really easy smoke and I can have a lot of bowls in a day.

Update: after finishing a pouch...

I would appreciate a bit more nic. And It can bite (me) after all but don't let that stop you from trying it if you enjoy essentially Non Aeromatic Burly Virginia blends. There will be those who can't appreciate it and those who can but still don't like it, and you may or may not be one of these... but don't be fooled into believing that this is low quality tobacco. Despite being neither well packaged nor craftfully cured these leaves have a flavor which is simple on the surface but unique and complex upon quiet reflexion. It is a simple wisdom to know that fine things often reside in humble places. It is an easy to use honest tobacco which some will truly enjoy.

On my scale 2 stars would mean "would possibly buy again" and 3 stars would mean "I would not want to run out". Really, this is a 2.5 star blend for me. I may well by another pouch someday.

Pipe Used: Best in a cob

Age When Smoked: fresh from pouch

Purchased From: Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Carter hall.