"Finally he smokes again, thank god!" as Wilhelm Busch said it. Ripe Virginia, perique and black cavendish with a decent "English" touch in the background, are processed to cubes, ready rubbed and loose cut and then are combined. A delicate sweet licorice casing is added to make for a mild, full-bodied smoking experience, as lovers of natural pipe blends like it.

Notes:

Packaging50 grams tin, 250 grams bag
Strength
Taste
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Opening this tin, the tin note has just a hint of the advertised liquorice, but some fruity wine-y notes, too: good Virginia. The top note is not overwhelming, but quite present. Inside the tin is a really wild cut—I would go so far as to call it a „weird cut“—with large cubes, ready rubbed, some flake scraps and medium ribbon. Colours range from bright yellow highlights through reds, browns to a goodly amount of black: both Black Cavendish and Latakia.

The flavour is sweet, with enough spice to offset, and thanks to the wild mix of cuts remains interesting, with one or another of the individual components popping up in force every now and then, to gently retreat into the overall experience. The room note, incongruously, is more of toffee than liquorice, but quite good.

Lighting may be a little tricky, depending on what ends up near the top of the bowl after stuffing, but once it burns you’re in for a good, calm smoke. For an aromatic, this is top notch, though I end up with a rather large amount of dottle that I cannot relight no matter how, and that is my only niggle with this blend. Recommended, but use your larger bowls.

Pipe Used: Passatore Splendida Oliva, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: DanPipe

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (322)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Intriguing looking and smelling tobacco. Fine cubes, some ready rubbed parts and ribbons. Black, brown, gold... as well as a appetizing aroma. I don't really get licorice from it, but a fruity note. Reminds me of HU's Red Sparkle, which is also said to have a licorice flavoring and smells exactly the same as Fred the Frog does. I start to belive it's the same flavoring-agent used.

Besides the fruiy flavoring, I get some honey, sweet Virginias, as well as hints of Latakia.. that's what's ment with "english touch". But really just a touch of Latakia, this will also appeal to smokers who don't like Latakia, or only like Latakia as a very small condiment in their blends (like me).

Grabbed my clay and filled it, handling is a joy and easy. Just grab a pinch, gently stuff it into the bowl, let gravity to the work. Don't pack too tight, it'll burn slow and cool due to the various (well crafted) cuts.

On first light I immediatly noticed a whisp of Latakia, but in a very pleasant way! Some smoky, spicy undertone that seasons the rather natural taste of this blend. Sweet Virginias, with honey, some fruit-notes and minor earthy qualities. The Perique is only a tad more present than the Latakia and in interplay with it, it creates a smoky, peppery and delicious spice, that is rather mellow, but pleasant! It may also contribute to the fruity feeling. Whilst I noticed a fruity flavoring in the tin aroma, there's none to be found in the taste! Either it's so light handed applied, that it's just for the room-note, or blended so skillfully, that it really only underscores the natural fruit qualities of Virginia and Perique.

Creamy smoke, with pleasant spice, decent, buter never overpowering sweetness. Very well blended, I like this! One of the few DTM blends, I'd re-order! Worth trying for Va/Per fans who like some "english touch" to their blend (really just a touch!!), English lovers, who want a sweetish and environment friendly smoke for inbetween, as well as for Latakia newbies who want to get a grasp on what it may taste like.

3,5-stars for me!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

Pfeifenkopp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pfeifenkopp (22)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

On my visit to the shop of Dan Pipe I was buying only non aromatic tobaccos and Michael Apitz, who served me in the shop, gave me a good sample of this tobacco. He is the blender of the tobacco and told me that this tobacco has only a bit licorice flavoring. Due to corona you aren’t allowed to smell the tin before buying it or asking for a sample. Which might be good in that case, because I would have turned down this tobacco by the tin note. There is a very dominant licorice smell in the tin. There are as well a fruity and berry scent. Overall it smells very sweet and it almost reminds me of the smell of a candy store. But in the background there is as well the typical latakia scent.

The smoking experience fits better to my taste than the tin note. Even though there is an obvious sweetish licorice flavor added. But it is not too strong, so you can taste some typical flavors of the used tobaccos, such as earth, spicy pepper, citrus and in some puffs the smokiness of Latakia. But there are as well a lot of fruity flavors in the smoke, but I’m not sure if they are natural or from the flavor (but does that even matter?). These fruity flavors are plums and berries, especially blackberries. In a few puffs I got a bit of honey which I really liked. The room note of this tobacco is very good. It is again a distinct licorice scent.

Overall, this tobacco is neither a real aromatic nor a real natural tobacco. For me it’s a quite good compromise, which I would recommend to everyone who sometimes likes this kind of compromise. If you expect a full aromatic or an english Latakia blend you will be disappointed.

Doudeijns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doudeijns (19)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Other than the other reviewers so far I find this a strong and rather rough tobacco, not mellow at all.

It's taste is very tobacco-like with a strong peppery hint, especially when smoking through the nose, that lingers, presumably the perique. Not unpleasant at all, but far from aromatic.

I've tried various pipes and settle for the biggest, deepest bowls I own.

The room note on the other hand reminds of aromatic tobacco and is pleasant.

The tobacco in the tin smells deliciously sweet.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Dan tobacco

Pbdodi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pbdodi (3)

When you open it the nice smell cames with a boom,strange but lovely aroma. The lighting is a bit tricky can be but when you had done it well, you will enjoy a calm good smoke. (There is nothing that havn't been said earlier) I highly recommend to pick up one tin if you can for a try, maybe you too will find it very good.

Pipe Used: bruyere and corn cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin