Some secrets are better left buried…

The fourth iteration of Cornell & Diehl's infamous Halloween blend (MMIV: Rise of the Mixture Monster) is here, offering the same delicious, autumnal aromatic you love — only now in a striking new design. While in the past C&D has presented the notorious mixture in four distinctive facings, this year they've condensed it all into one horrifying label with campy artwork and a bold typeface.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringApple, Caramel, Cocoa / Chocolate
Packaging3oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

As this is the same as the previous Mixture Monster releases, I'm repeating my earlier review here:

The red cavendish has a little grass, and a bit of earth, along with some tangy fruitiness and a light toast note. The black cavendish appears to be unsweetened as I don’t notice any vanilla, but I do get a little sugar from it. The apple topping is very mild as often is the case. The caramel is just a little more noticeable, although the rich, yet gentle chocolate is the most obvious topping. No artificial, chemical or syrup notes exist here. The toppings sublimate the tobaccos to a moderate extent. The nic-hit is mild. The strength of the blend is shade past the mild level. The taste is a shade or two past being mild. No chance of bite, and it has no harsh or weak spots. Lightly moist out of the tin, it needs no dry time. Burns at slightly more than a regular rate, cool and clean with a very smooth, fairly consistent flavor. I say “fairly” because I do get just a tad more caramel and apple in the last third of the experience than I do the chocolate, which weakens a mite at that point. Easily burns to ash with few relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. The very pleasant, mild after taste is short lived, although the sweet room note will linger just a little. An easy going all day smoke that doesn’t get boring.

-JimInks

Cornell & Diehl - Mixture Monster IV: Rise of the Mixture Monster.

Like a dork I didn't realize all the Mixture Monsters were apparently the same blend each year. I'd have passed if I'd known! But this, strangely, doesn't seem the same.

For some reason, maybe the blend's been constructed differently, this tastes different to MMII. The apples don't come across as sour, and bitter, but give a gentle embellishment to the smoke. A chocolate, caramel, flavour sits atop the honey, vanilla, and grass from the tobaccos. On the low side it burns too fast.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: pleasant.

A strange situation, when I think how I was quite turned off by MMII, but recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Pipe of the Year 2016

RondyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RondyR (5)

I found this to be a pleasant smoke. Like most aromatics it smells better than it tastes, but it was by no means a boring smoke. Some nice but somewhat muted notes of apple and caramel buried within tobacco that is moist but not overly wet and that required no relights. I am going to pick up another tin or two to cellar and pull out when I find myself in an aromatic mood, as I often do during the Autumn and Winter months.

3.5 Stars: definitely recommend to aromatic smokers.

Pipe Used: Cob, Briar