This varietal exhibits a flinty character, with a peppery sourness that you notice toward the back of the tongue. There’s also of bit of a coffee note on the retrohale. In combination with the base blend, these flavor notes become very noticeable. Golden Triangle Paulina gives you a flavor that's a real departure from what you expect from Perique.

Notes: The Golden Triangle Series of pipe tobaccos is a showcase for some very rare versions of St. James Perique. Mark Ryan, of L.A. Poche Perique Company decided one year to put up a barrel of Perique from each of the four growing regions of St. James' Golden Triangle, rather than mixing them together for processing. This experiment created four distinctly different versions of Perique. In the Golden Triangle Series, Russ Ouellette has created a base blend that is used in the four regional mixtures that allows you to be able to see the difference in the flavor of the singular Perique varietals. To round out the series, Mark has allowed us to offer a tin of straight St. James Perique (as opposed to the usual Acadian Perique), the first time that pure St. James has been offered to the public in many years.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByRuss Ouelette
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Packaging1.75 oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Full
Unnoticeable, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.7

A little nutty note from the Burley and a hay note from the Virginias form the base. A mild sweetness comes with it. This Perique is an odd one. There is an initial blast of pepper that stings the nose. It settles down after a few puffs and just becomes peppery. Nothing odd there, but then we get to the flavor. There isn't a lot. I get a light note that wafts in and out that reminds me of African peaberry coffee. It's very light and has just a hint of fruit to it. Other than that it has little else to offer except what I can only describe as a note that taste like clean dirt, if that makes any sense. Strange one there. I'm not enamored with the flavor of this one, but the blend does exactly what it is supposed to do and that is show you what Paulina taste like. 2.5 stars rounded up to 3.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavoring. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (184)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Apparently, this is one of a series and had thought about buying them which appears from some reviews to have been around since 2016 but the price tag was a little hefty (for me). I saw this one in the latest pipesandcigars.com magazine in the clearance isle. I went online and looked for the other ones but guess they have all been sold by now. I thought what the heck and bought two tins. According to Wikipedia, “Paulina is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in St. James Parish, Louisiana, and located on the east bank of the Mississippi River in the eastern part of the parish” I lived next door in Mississippi and we actually had a fishing cabin in Louisiana when I was a kid. The tin note is that of sweet apricots and is a light-medium brown ribbon cut. I smoked a few bowls and tasted mostly sweet Virginia. Next day, I am smoking more of this and am waiting for Paulina Perique to announce herself and let me behold her presence. Still waiting and starting to feel stood up and getting tired of waiting for someone who I am beginning to realize is not going to meet me at the Prom. In all fairness, I tend to smoke a lot of Latakia and darker, stronger tobaccos and it is really hard for me to do an about face and try to detect the subtle taste that this perique seems to be. It is a good tasting smoke and maybe I was expecting a Perique Bomb, not really sure but unless you had the whole series, I do not see the point in buying this if you are a perique addict. I have to go 2 stars on this one.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

denholrl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
denholrl (22)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I bought one of each of the Golden Triangle Series blends a year ago and opened 'Paulina' yesterday. I smoked some in a large bowl pre-Rep. Peterson System pipe and in a smaller bowl Connoisseur bent Dublin. Fresh from the tin the hydration level was perfect and I had two enjoyable smokes. Besides liking the over all experience, I appreciated that, from time to time, each of the component tobaccos made a brief solo appearance. The Burley was nice and rich. The Virginias were smooth and sweet. And, there was just enough Perique to tickle my nose without making my eyes water.

Pipe Used: Peterson System,, Connoisseur Dublin