Cherry Saronno is a medium bodied Virginia ready rubbed flake provided with a seductive fruity cherry/amaretto Flavor. The Philippine Virginias are highly complementary with the flavor and bring an aromatic fruity smoking pleasure.

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
Manufactured ByHU Tobacco
FlavoringAmaretto, Cherry
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The deeply rich cherry/amaretto topping is the star, and yet, it manages to allow the smoker to taste the bold earthy, woody, bready, tangy dark fruit sweet Virginia underneath. The Virginia also has a touch of spice, and a hint of vegetative floralness. You’ll notice most every aspect of the components in every puff. The nic-hit is closer to medium than it is to mild. The strength and taste thresholds are a little past the medium threshold with the taste level being slightly more potent than that of the strength. Won’t bite, or get harsh even when pushed. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with a very smooth, creamy consistent taste. Only in the last quarter of the bowl do you get even the very slightest weakening of the topping as the strength of the Philippine Virginia peeks out a mite more. Requires few relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Easily burns to ash. Leaves a very pleasant, lingering after taste and room note. Has a bit of boldness and noticeable depth of flavor, so I would not classify this as an all day smoke for a novice aromatic smoker, and probably not for an experienced one.

-JimInks

Karam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Karam (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This review could be short, I could just say "read JimInks above me, it's exactly as he tells it". But what'd be the fun in that? Here's my opinion of it after several bowls.

I'm not a flavoured tobacco smoker, all my previous forays into the territory have left me frustrated and I've had to blend with unflavoured tobaccos to get something I can smoke with pleasure.

This is the first HU tobacco I'm smoking, although there are many more blends in my drawer waiting to be opened.

Smell from the tin is definitely strong sour cherry, with a background of tobacco. I'm not (yet) a tobacco connoisseur to be able to tell from the smell what the tobacco is, but it is there. The cut is ready rubbed, however there are bits and pieces of flake that need to be further broken in my tin. The pieces are somewhat tough, likely on account of the topping, but it is ready to smoke from opening.

The taste of the first quarter of the bowl is of the sour cherry, somewhat cooling in fact, supported by the tobacco, it's sweetish, but not really sweet. As I was smoking my first bowl I was thinking that if that's how it's going to be I'd enjoy it but not buy it again. However, and for me it was faster than JimInks, tobacco takes over and the cherry flavour goes into the background - but never leaves the stage altogether. There's something of Gawith's sweet rum twist in this tobacco, I don't know what it is but the experts can chime in. I really like it because I need strong tobacco taste to be satisfied!

Finally, what really makes the blend want me to walk up to the master blender Hans Wiedemann and shake his hand is this last bit I noticed after several bowls: Disaronno, (the drink) which lends part of the name of the blend, is made with apricot kernels which do hold a touch of bitterness, although the drink itself if very sweet overall. Well, this tobacco had an aftertaste, a hint of tangy bitterness which once felt is always there, and really shows the skill which went into making it, and it captures the essence of Disaronno perfectly.

Won't take over from my usual liking of unflavoured tobacco, but will buy again.

Purchased From: Estervals pipe house