A blend of Virginia, Maryland, and burley tobaccos, Meriwether is aged into cakes, then spun to a ribbon to make packing and smoking smooth, while staying mild and rich in flavor.

BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist
2.7
dixondavid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixondavid (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Soft, rich virginia flavor with the burley providing a nutty, earthy counterpoint in perfect harmony. Completely natural tobacco flavor here, downright wholesome. I don't know enough about maryland tobacco to pinpoint its influence and part in the flavor but this is a perfectly natural, mellow and flavorful experience. Has a pleasant room note. I hope Tobacco Jesus won't be insulted by the comparison but this reminds me of a more pure, higher quality tobacco, Carter Hall to some extent. Highly recommend!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (103)
Mild Strong Medium Unnoticeable

I couldn't get past the taste of propylene glycol -- or some such additive. I know for sure that unadulterated tobaccos don't taste like this. I really struggle with negative reviews because I know I'm knocking a small, independent blender, and these days they need all the support they can get. Well, try an ounce or two of this and see if you can tolerate it.

Pipe Used: Briar from Boswell

Purchased From: Online

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia provides a little tart and tangy citrus, grass, vegetation, sugar, floralness, and a pinch of spice. It’s the lead component. The nutty, earthy, woody, dry burley is a supporting player. The sweet Maryland is mostly a flavor carrier. The vanilla and anise toppings moderately mute the tobaccos, and have slight chemical and syrup note. The strength and nic-hit are just past the center of mild to medium. The taste level barely reaches the medium mark. Won’t bite or get harsh. Has a small hint a rough edge. I didn’t dry it, but it is a little moist. Burns cool at a reasonable rate with a very consistent, deep sweetness that extends to the mildly lingering after taste. Has a very pleasant room note. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Requires an average number of relights. It’s an all day smoke. Two and a half stars rounded down to two because of the aforementioned chemical and syrup notes.

-JimInks

Hrhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hrhead (6)

A very pleasant tobacco, easy to smoke. Not complex, the flavor is consistent, but I find JD to be a subtle blender, so maybe with time I'll find some nuances. This is sweet and does start to irritate my mouth like only aros do. Not sure why, but that's me. To me it's topped with hints of vanilla, and anise. Boatloads of smoke. Good tobacco flavor, but hard to pick out a lead. The Burley forms the base.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Roma Lucite 114 KS

Age When Smoked: NEW

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Maybe a lighter vanilla than 1Q with a hint of Half and Half all in a ribbon cut..

Bushleagueosu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bushleagueosu (20)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This should be classified as an aromatic or at least a mild aromatic. When I received this in the mail and smelled it I thought they had sent me the wrong thing but other reviews confirmed my thoughts. This is very sweet! It is obviously cased and there is a noticeable light topping that is present through the entire smoke. A light vanilla/anise. This leaves a film in the mouth from the casing. You do get the burley in the retro hale and a little in the taste but the virginia is covered by the artificial sweetness. If you are an aromatic smoker or like the occasional sweet blend you will probably really like this but as a non aromatic smoker (I mostly smoke straight Virginia's, virginia/periques and burly blends) I was very disappointed in this one. I was expecting something like a Briar Fox or something with more natural flavor. It is definitely not a bad tobacco but it was not what I expected and was not correctly advertised. In my opinion.. I would say this is a better version of an OTC blend like Carter Hall but should not be classified as a non aromatic. On the plus side it didn't bite me, it is not goopy or wet and does have a good room note. I did find that it mixes well with other tobacco. I had some C&D Big n Burley & Old Joe Krantz laying around. I find both to be a little to harsh and added this to them which softened out the harsh edges and added just a touch of sweetness and now they are both great all day burley blends.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Traditional over the counter blends.

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (294)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

one of the squire blends that I had somehow not got around to trying yet. It comes in the bag in ribbon form of a variety of colored tobaccos with just the right amount of moisture. It is easy to pack and to get going.

I'm not sure I know enough about the MD tobacco to know what it is bringing to the game, but the Virginia carries high notes, while there is a good base from the burley.

On the Squire website, this is listed in the Non-Aromatic section. It not overly "exciting" but it provides a good solid smoke bowl after bowl which I could see being an all-day thing.