Forums

Whole leaf tobacco

Notifications
Clear all

Whole leaf tobacco

Relight
Topic starter
Noble Member

I looked for previous mention of this and didn't see anything. Apologies if it's redundant.

I found this interesting. They're getting around shipping restrictions by providing whole and threshed leaf. They even give you squirter bottles of toppings.

I'm not promoting this in any way. Just interesting. If nothing else there's some pretty pictures.

https://wholeleaftobacco.com/cat/american-turkish-tobaccos/traditional-pipe-tobaccos/

12 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I’ve been buying leaf from them for some time, excellent quality. I don’t know if they are “getting around” shipping requirements, there just aren’t any for whole leaf in most cases. 

1 Reply
Relight

Noble Member

Yes. Thanks Ted. I didn't mean to imply they were shady in any way. 

Given the logo, and the perique, I thought this might be a Mark Ryan thing. But they're in OH. 

Joseph
Noble Member

Hmm… homemade blends from raw leaf. Let us know how your adventures turn out. I’m curious, but will happily leave the blending to the pros for my daily smokes. 😋

Joseph
Noble Member

I DO have experience with home brewing, and know that fermentation requires precise and detailed handling to NOT contaminate your product from the ambient environment. How to do that for pressing and heat/steam-treating layered-leaf blends? I have not a clue.

7 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Brewing is primarily the process of culturing yeast. Culturing microorganisms can be a bit involved. Processing and blending tobacco is the process of cutting up and mixing vegetables. Very simple. Cooking processes are primarily only used for making cavendish and stoving, which represents a very small portion of tobacco used and requires as much skill as making plain rice. Making Perique involves fermenting tobacco with yeast and there are a number of people doing that, on par with very basic brewing techniques. 

Joseph

Noble Member

Good to know! Thanks! Makes home blending sound all the more interesting now. 🤔💭 hmm… the wheels are turning now ⚙️⚙️

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

This is a whole leaf blend I make and smoke quite often, it’s a Virginia, Perique, Dark Air Cured, Oriental and a touch of Burley red tip blend and it’s fabulous. A regular smoke for me. No casings, just pressed and cut. The most time consuming and skill related part of blending it is weighing the components. 

1713558498-IMG_5709.jpeg
Joseph

Noble Member

@Ted, Do you use a hand press like the noodle press you mentioned here , or a custom setup?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

A noodle press is more than sufficient, but I’m compelled to always be a little fancier with my projects. I bought some aluminum molds off of Amazon and a heavy duty clamp. 

1713578349-IMG_5710.jpeg
Relight

Noble Member

I like this, Ted. 

Sometimes we make tobacco and blending too intimidating, imo. 

I'm not Greg Pease but I can throw some VA in with some burley to sweeten it up. Or sprinkle in some perique for spice and strength. 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I agree. There are many proven recipes available. The one I mentioned above that I make is recipe devised by Bob Goff. 

Greg Pease wasn’t a wonder master blender when he made his first blends. He was just a guy mixing some tobacco seeing what works. 

Nick R
Noble Member

This gives me lots of ideas. I think this will be a good project. Lets see if my wife agrees😉

target="_blank"