Forums

Bulk Blends to age?

Notifications
Clear all

Bulk Blends to age?

Relight
Topic starter
Noble Member

I've had good luck with my "14ers" so far. Bulk Blends I jarred and sort of accidentally aged 14 years. That's probably well beyond optimum. But it's reinforced how the right bulk blends can become special with time.

So, I plan to buy a few pounds and put them away for a few years. 

Already thinking Mac Baren Old Dark flake ready rubbed and maybe Newminster Superior Round Slices. 

Any ideas? 

What are currently available bulks worth cellaring? 

9 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

In my experience, cellaring bulk blends isn’t any different than cellaring tins or cans as long as it’s stored in an airtight jar. I use quart or half gallon ball jars and have always had perfect success. All of the same general rules apply. Aromatics don’t cellar well, Virginias and Virginia blends have the best chance of positive effects, while Burley and others might not drastically change, they don’t usually seem worse for the experience. 

It has always seemed to me that the only blends worth cellaring are ones I like fresh. Age has never turned a tobacco I didn’t think much of into a tobacco I loved 😉.

3 Replies
Relight

Noble Member

I agree. 

I wasn't very clear. OK I was downright opaque. 😂

I'm thinking about blends that are quality leaf but will likely improve with age. I'm very impressed with the 14 year old Luxury Bullseye flake for instance. It was cheap and turned out nearly amazing. 

So just wondering if anybody has suggestions I might be missing.

Obviously when some of the more scarce stuff, namely G&H flakes, become available 'll horde some.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Sorry, the original question was quite open ended, so many possible answers! 😃

Ones that have had me say “wow” after Squirreling them away for years would be one you mentioned, the LBF. Sutliff 507c and Yorktown both have been wonderful as well. I have not bought bulk Old Dark Fired, but I have tins going back to its original release and time had melded it into something wonderful, I think you are on to something there. 

Relight

Noble Member

Ha. I added Sutliff VA slices to my list last night. Seems prime for aging.

This tells me I might be on the right track

Nick R
Noble Member

I don't have any cellering suggestions but you mentioned 14ers. Have you considered climbing a 14er then smoking a 14er on top? That would be cool! For those outside Colorado a 14er is a 14,000 mountain.

1 Reply
Relight

Noble Member

I hike several miles a week. But  I'm not sure I'm up to a 14er. I'll stick with smoking them. 😂

BriarBerg

I second the Sutliff 507 Slices. It's a fantastic Virginia, though some of those you mention are more to the hearty side, which, if that's what you lean toward, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired and Newminster Superior Round are good ideas.

• C&D Bayou Morning — if you like a lot of Perique. 
  • Sutliff 515 RC-1 — acidic vinegary topping that can be loved or hated. Age will mellow it some. 
  • 4th Gen Evening Flake — more mild-medium strength, but great flavor. Hot pressed like much of the HH line from Mac Baren. 
  • 4th Gen Night Slice - a good one if you like Bullseye. 
  • Mac Baren HH Rustica - not sure how it will age necessarily, but with the sweetness, I imagine pretty nicely. If you like Old Dark Fired, this might be promising - there's a bulk version now (though limited I think).

Also good to keep in mind some of the Mac Baren HH blends if you are buying in decently large quantity. They may not come in bulk in the by-the-ounce sense, but the boxes that are sold by the pound come out to near bulk pricing per-ounce. Some of the Gawith & Hoggarth offerings too, sold in 500g bags—Kendal Dark or Birdseye or, one of my favorites, Kendal Kentucky. 

2 Replies
Relight

Noble Member

This is excellent Brian. 

Yes. I said bulk. But I should've said available in pounds 

THANK YOU!

I have lots to explore. 

You rock. 

Relight

Noble Member

Sorry. Briar. You'd think I'd get that right in a pipe forum.

I haven't had my morning pipe yet. 😂

target="_blank"