Forums

AS WE TRANSITION INTO OUR NEW WEBSITE EXPERIENCE:

Rest assured your data is safe and saved and will be available very soon.

Please be aware that any missing services will be back in operations over the next few weeks and all of your data has been captured and retained. Once our migration has been completed, all of the features and functionality that you have grown to love on Tobacco Reviews will be fully functional.

Briar vs corncobs

Notifications
Clear all

Briar or corncob? Poll is created on Dec 08, 2023

Briar vs corncobs

Rene12
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Wondering about preferences and reasons for them.

9 Replies
Rene12
Topic starter
Reputable Member

I prefer cobs, they always give me a great smoke, I don't have to worry about ghosting as much and in my experience they don't need to rest as long as briars. They're great value for money as well.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I’ll pick the third choice, meerschaum. Cool, dry smoke, no flavor from the material, no resting needed, never burns out/lasts forever unless broken by force. 

But back to your question, cobs are great! For me they are especially wonderful with burleys and Latakia blends, plus provide a cooler smoke than briar. That being said, I think every type of pipe has its place and time. Thinking about this has had me decide to have a nice nostalgic smoke in a cob. 

Rene12
Topic starter
Reputable Member

I should have added meerschaum as an option. I got my first as a gift from my girlfriend recently and am realy enjoying it. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

There can be a fourth, porcelain. I was gifted an "Old Mokum" porcelain pipe many years ago. This pipe was made in Holland. I have never smoked it because it seems very hard to clean. There is a chamber just bellow the bowl.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

And about the poll. Briars. I haven´t smoked anything else, but I ordered a cob to try.

2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

you won't regret !

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I hope so. Everyone I asked encouraged me to try. Ted says they work very well with latakia blends, my favorites. I´ll let you know.

It really depends on the blend. 
Burley blends tend to taste best in a cob. 
When it comes to briars, the size and shape of the bowl often comes into play. 
For example, I've got two ROPP Apple briars that favour VaPers like Formers Birdseye Flake and OGS and Balkan blends like Balkan Sobranie Match. 
To answer your question; I like my briar and cob pipes and do not favour one over the other generally speaking. 

nach0
Noble Member

I'm a big fan of cob. 
There is no equal for me.

We all know about briar and their quality but when smoking cobs i feel like i can take the max of the blends what sometimes i don't feel with briar pipes.

The only time i feel briar is better is when smoking straight virginias, apart from that, i´ll go for cobs always as possible.

By the way, i just ordered 3 new cobs for my collection. A Missouri Pride Bent , Let Freedom Ring Rob Roy Bent and Washington 5th Avenue Bent.

target="_blank"