What Was Your First...

Notifications
Clear all

What Was Your First Pipe?

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Illustrious Member

I’m pretty sure it was 1982, “Working for the Weekend” by Loverboy was the big hit on the radio and it was playing everywhere it seemed. Me and a couple of friends walked to a local party store in Ortonville, Michigan and I bought a folding Dr. Grabow pocket pipe off of the Dr. Grabow cardboard pipe display that were common in most gas stations, grocery stores, party stores, etc. I also bought a pouch of Kentucky Club Mixture. 

I knew nothing about pipe smoking and needless to say, a folding pocket pipe is not a good first pipe. I smoked it a few times and put it away. It likely ended up in the trash at some point, I don’t remember. I later bought some cobs, which were also everywhere and smoked those. I didn’t realize they came with a filter installed so my first one mysteriously quit being able to be drawn through after only a couple of days. I figured that out when I took the stem off and found the dripping piece of goo that had been the filter.

I didn’t really pick up pipe smoking until the following year when I bought a new Pioneer calabash at a tobacconist. A year or so later, the bowl cracked and I considered the cost of replacement and bought a Savinelli 315KS instead which cost far more than I could really afford at the time. I no longer have either of those pipes, but all of this eventually morphed into a lot of pipe collecting since. 

What was your first pipe? 

27 Replies
CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

My first was a random basket pipe like so many before me. Not long thereafter started the spiral into Kaywoodie acquisitions.

Casey Smith
Estimable Member

Mine was a green Peterson prince churchwarden 😂🤷 I still use it for its smaller bowl. Perfect for some rustica, Bold Kentucky, etc... I dislike having to buy special churchwarden pipe cleaners for it though. Cheers, Fellas! 

Ithian
Estimable Member

A rusticated Savinelli Prince Churchwarden for me. Still to this day one of my favorites, best smoking pipes and the one non-smokers are most interested in.

3 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

I love churchwardens! My favorite is my Vauen Auenland Gilg. It's the Lord of the Rings vibe it is has going for it that does it for me 😂 But, I need even longer pipe cleaners for it 🤦 Cheers!  

Sir Otter

Reputable Member

That was my first as well, I have to admit I was inspired by Lord of the Rings to try the pipe. 

Ithian

Estimable Member

Haha me too! "Concerning pipe weed"...

Florida_man
Eminent Member

My first pipe was a Grabow grand duke and a Missouri Meerschaum Washington I bought both of them from Walgreens with a pouch of captain black. I still have the Dr.Grabow and smoke it occasionally when I only have time for a short smoke.I’ve smoked every type of blend in that thing and have smoked bowls back to back, and it’s still going strong although it is pretty beat up.

Pottsie

1969. Lime Green straight billiard "The Pipe". God, it was beautiful....

4 Replies
CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

I may have your first pipe. Lol.

Ted
 Ted

Illustrious Member

That’s great! I see they even matched them to your astrological symbol. From 1969:

1691899172-IMG_5002.jpeg
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Famed Member

The shape suggestion is wrong. I'm Leo and don't like billiards.

Purple Potato

Prominent Member

Nice. My alleged pipe has rally stripes for extra speed smoking. Nice.

Trusted Member

A H.I.S bent billiard basket pipe was my first. And a cob, I bought them both at the same time. But the guy rung up the briar first, so that was my first pipe. I think I might still have it kicking around somewhere. 

Estimable Member

My first pipe was a red bowl bent something or other that wasn't even made out of briar. Bought in the Army PX. Smoked hotter than Dis. My first good pipe I bought at a shopping mall kiosk 50 years ago. It was a Savinelli prince. Nice smoking pipe. Still have it. 

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

A Dr. Grabow was my first, I bought it at a revco drugstore. Along with a pouch of half and half.  I was 18.  I still have it and I appreciate it more now than ever. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some type of Grabow fanatic.  They are what they are.  But I became a big fan of cobs.  I've always been a clincher.  And the cops are considerably lighter than other pipes.  This is important when you smoke pipes during other activities when your hands are busy.  I also like them long, to keep the smoke out of my eyes.  They have their problems too.  

BriarBerg

Molina Barasso 

1692105813-no-4-in-molina.jpg
The Hun

My first pipe was a straight Yellow-Bole Airograte.  Smoked a ton of Borkum Riff Cognac tobacco (which bit like a rabid badger) through that thing.  I believe it cost me about a half a day's wages in 1972.  Stepped up to a Dr. Grabow Golden Duke Ajustomatic Author about six months later.  I still have and smoke the Grabow but have no idea what happened to the Yellow-Bole.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Famed Member

My first pipe was a no name straight billiard I got used from a friend. After that pipe I had 2-3 cheap pipes until I could buy my first quality pipe, a Peterson System 613, that I still have.

Rene12
Noble Member

My first was a huck finn corncob. I still love them and own 4 of them now. Very nice for a short smoke.

Maynard 58

Dr Grabow Viking with a red briar bowl August of 1976.

Nick R
Noble Member

My first pipe came from Walgreens some 20 years ago. It was a corn cob of unknown brand. I was in college and it was all I could afford. I paired it with whatever brand of tobacco Walgeens carried- some sort of vanilla. A year or so later I upgraded to a Dr. Grabow- also from Walgreens. I have no idea what happened to either of them now.

ugdabug
Honorable Member

Cheap corncob from the corner store.

I think it was 5 bucks.

Smoked the pipe properly for pipe tobacco but all sorts of other things went in there too.

Cigarette tobacco, weed, you name it.

Just thrashed that thing.

You know, young and stupid.

Old reliable just kept on ticking through it all.

Wish I could find it.

Joseph
Noble Member

Vauen Basic Bent Billiard starter kit from tobacco pipes.com …Might have been in 2011 or 2012 …still have it, and still use it in my aromatic rotation (because of the 9mm filter). Was my only pipe until just last year, so no real nostalgia for me. Now I have 15 pipes, so it’s just a neglected workhorse.

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Illustrious Member

We’ve had a lot of new members since this thread was last active and I’m curious to hear from them on this. What was your first pipe?

Purple Potato
Prominent Member

This is her. A Savenelli Roma 602. Something close to 15 years old. It's my only pipe with a vulcanite stem. Also, my only pipe that takes a 6mm filter. I actually didn't smoke it very much until recently when I purchased 6mm activated charcoal filters for the the first time (the Savinelli balsa ones it came with do nothing for me). With the charcoal filter it's an excellent smoker. Actually one of my best.

Happy Piping
Honorable Member

My transition from cigar to pipe happened around autumn 2017 if my memory serves me correctly.

Since I didnt educate myself on the subject I decided to buy „a good one“ right away. Little did I know that 1 pipe isnt sufficient when at least 3 bowls a day are smoked regularly.

anyways, I bought a Savinelli 315 KS Gentleman, I love the elegant design of a the prince shape.

my first tobacco was Nightcap!

I remember hurrying home after my stop at the tobacconist, a rainy, windy dawn after work.

At home I opened up the tin. Oofff. That leather smell of the Latakia. I had never experienced a similar smell from tobacco. Stuffed the pipe, went to the little park around the corner where I used to smoke my usual cigar after dinner. Windy, wet, cold, leaf 🍂 blowing trough the park I was sitting down on a bench, your occasional dog owner chasing by. 
„how does that work now?“

tchak tchak. Too windy for the lighter, damn.

with some effort I lit that thing.

to make a long story short, I worked my way through that bowl and learn that a pipe doesn’t like to much weather. The experience in a quieter environment the following hours I fell in love with Nightcap. To this day my favorite Lat. burnt my tounge pretty bad dragging like an ox 🐂 😂😂😂

1 Reply
Purple Potato

Prominent Member

I couldn't go from cigars to pipes. I tried because cigars were just too expensive - and smelly. But I was constantly chasing the cigar-taste and the big nicotine hit and was just scorching my tongue smoking my pipe like a cigar.

Although I have owned pipes and smoked them for over a decade, in truth I didn't really learn to appreciate pipes until relatively recently, after I had quit cigars for a long time. I certainly think it can be done - and lots of people seem to enjoy both. I just couldn't manage it personally. I hope your experience was smoother than mine.

target="_blank"