Forums

Things to avoid on ...

Notifications
Clear all

Things to avoid on ebay

Relight
Topic starter
Noble Member

I've had many wins in estates but you also lose some. 

I bought this Savenelli Capri Briar Root pot like 15 years ago and it's been packed away until recently. I smoked it once and it sucked but I blamed myself and the rain. I tried to smoke it again last night and determined it just wasn't right.

I bought it knowing it had a replacement stem. I probably cackled at the "smokin " deal I got.

The pipe has a nice draw. If you cover the chamber and blow it's airtight. It occurred to me the only problem could be the tenon. I pulled the stem and stuck a pipe cleaner down the shank to measure the mortise depth. Sure enough the tenon is a1/4 inch short.

So my choices are to cram the junk stem back in it and dump it on ebay for $25 which I won't do. No way I'd knowingly screw somebody. Or I can send it somewhere like Briarville and have them make me a new acrylic stem. With shipping both ways that's probably $50 and the pipe just isn't worth it. It's my least favorite of my Savenellis anyway. So I'll probably just chalk it up to experience. 

It's all good. I have no idea what I paid for it. But I know it wasn't over $35. So I'm not crying. 

The lesson here is well done replacement stems are fine. It's a good way to get a pipe cheaper if all you care about is smoking it.  But some sellers on ebay will just cram in anything that looks like it fits. At very least get a good look at the tenon and see if things make sense. 

1 Reply
Relight
Topic starter
Noble Member

And if course my edit jacked my photo. This forum is really something. 

1715816064-20240515_171231.jpg

target="_blank"