Forums

AS WE TRANSITION INTO OUR NEW WEBSITE EXPERIENCE:

Rest assured your data is safe and saved and will be available very soon.

Please be aware that any missing services will be back in operations over the next few weeks and all of your data has been captured and retained. Once our migration has been completed, all of the features and functionality that you have grown to love on Tobacco Reviews will be fully functional.

Looking at buying a...

Notifications
Clear all

Looking at buying a pipe and want a 2nd opinion?

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Noble Member

Thanks for the idea, Ted! 😊

I’ll start. 
I was looking at this pipe a while back. I’m looking for something different from all the other pipes I own. But, I postponed buying it because I wasn’t sure. What is your honest opinion? Don’t hold back!

1706218333-IMG_1830.jpeg
30 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Great pipe, I really like it! However I have no experience with olive wood bowls. If it had a meerschaum one I’d probably buy it. 

Nick R
Reputable Member

I don't know a thing about that brand but it sure looks nice! I have never smoked from olive wood but it is my understanding that they do smoke differently than briar. I bet others will be more informative but I like the look of it- very classy. 

Estimable Member

I like the Calabash! One of my favorite pipes. Not so sure about the olive wood though. I've never smoked from an olive wood bowl. My only concern would be does the olive wood burn and can you taste it? Burning wood? Personally I'd stick with briar or meerschaum.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

There are few things as personal as choosing a pipe. I never tried a morta pipe or an olive wood one. The shape is a bit complicated to my taste.

Joseph
Reputable Member

Beautiful! I would go for an actual meerschaum bowled, gourd bodied calabash if I was going to get a calabash. ...just me ...but, I'd be going for the way it smokes, not the way it looks. This pipe looks fantastic. But, it's anybody's guess how it smokes.

I haven't used morta and olive wood together, but I have used them both separately and I find they both smoke well. Morta is really good in my experience, and olive is fine. A meerschaum bowl would probably smoke better as others have suggested but I think the olive would work good too. It's definitely an exotic pipe! Might be worth getting just to see how your friends react.

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Noble Member

If you zoom in, it looks like the olive wood is just the decorative ring and the bowl is actually morta. I’ll check. But, if true, that would change everything, no?

I’m pleased others like the look of it, anyway. I do too! It’s always nice to have one’s taste affirmed 😊

6 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I see what you’re saying. So it’s just a fancy calabash shape morta pipe and not one with a removable bowl or air chamber below the bowl. While looking good, that would have it drop considerably in interest to me, it’s just another morta pipe. Nothing wrong with that of course, it just seemed way cooler when I thought it was a true calabash. 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I hope I’m not being too something unpleasant, but may I suggest one like this? A small true meerschaum bowl mahogany calabash. I’ve had this one for about 3-4 years, it’s my traveling calabash due to being small, smokes great. It's not big, it’s close to the size of a regular full size pipe. The person I got this one from is still selling them, though they have changed the details a bit. 

1706247252-IMG_2347.jpeg
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

At least I’m not trying to tell you what pipe to buy, I just suggest this in the thought that you might not know they are available. 

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

Yes, no worries, Ted! 😊

I think that, if I was going to buy a meerschaum calabash, I’d want one made from a gourd - proper Sherlock Holmes style! You have some exquisite examples, of course, which I love.

The pipe I posted is expensive- around $400 - which is what dissuaded me from buying it. I think it looks cool though! 😄

I really want a pipe that is very different from all my other pipes and a gourd meerschaum calabash certainly fits the bill. I’d better get saving up!

Thanks for the feedback! 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I understand and it does look cool, $400 seems a bit much for it though. I have recently seen brand new nice gourd calabash pipes in the $475-$525US range. I am sure the right one will show up at the right time for you. You certainly found a good looker with your IMP pipe 🙂

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

Cheers! 😊

nach0
Noble Member

I have more non briar wood pipes than briar. Morta is the best IMO. Followed by Imbuia and Cedar wood. Once i had a cheery wood pipe that was really light and comfortable to clinch but the wood used to get warm really fast and i ended up removing it from my routation. 

1 Reply
nach0

Noble Member

Once i had a churchwaden made of olive wood that i never get adapted to it. I threw it in the garbage before realising that maybe i was too newbie to handle it. Now i don't know if the problem was the wood, the churchwarden style or me. Probably it was me. Hehehehehe

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I have been debating with myself about buying a new pipe. Logically it would make no sense for me to get it, but the desire keeps lingering. 

It’s a Savinelli Natural Punto Oro 315KS. It’s not the type of pipe I smoke and I’m not even so sure the fancier grade of wood is really fancy enough to justify the extra cost of the Punto Oro and on top of that, the last thing I need is another pipe. 

However, there is a big nostalgia factor in this pipe for me. The very first nice briar pipe I ever bought was the same thing, just in 1985. I had very little money then and it took all I had. It caught my eye, felt great in the hand and wasn’t too small. I smoked the one I had to death and I can’t even remember what happened to the carcass. I think it’s reasonable to assume that my memory of the pipe is better than I would say it was today. 

For a while, I’ve been telling myself that I’ll buy it when I go a full month without finding and buying a pipe of the type I look for regularly, but that hasn’t happened. 

What do you guys think? Should I put the past in the past and just keep my fond memories or should I get a new one?

1706298915-IMG_5394.jpeg
6 Replies

Estimable Member

If you can afford it go for it! Nostalgia is always fun and can be rather self rewarding. It looks like a prince pipe. Those are nice little light weight pipes you can carry around in your jacket pocket. I've done it often. Works great for when you're out and about and want a quick little smoke while relaxing or conversing with a friend. If you do buy it, the biggest injustice you can do is to not smoke out of it. So, if you buy it, make sure you have a plan for when you'd want to use it...  Just my 2 cents.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

If you can afford, get it. If you can´t get it out of your head, buy it. 

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

It’s a nice pipe. If the memory keeps coming back, perhaps you should buy it. But, there’s no rush. You never know, you might see an estate on eBay 😊

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I’ve been looking for a couple of years and this pipe is the closest I’ve come. It’s a Savinelli Deluxe Milano, unsmoked in its original box. The thing is, this pipe is a 313 and my old one was a 315KS. While they are very similar, the 313 is a bit more of a common prince design, the shank is slimmer and it’s a regular size pipe. The 315KS is an oversized with a bit larger diameter shank. I thought it would curb my desire, but even though it had been decades since I had my old one, as soon as I held this one I knew it wasn’t it. 

I think I am going to buy a new one. 

1706315655-IMG_5397.jpeg
Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

You only live once (maybe)!

Nick R

Reputable Member

I would get it if my pipe fund had enough in it. 315KS is my favorite Savinelli shape. I have never had one of the higher end ones. The grain is beautiful. And then there is the nostalgia- hard to put a price on that.

Estimable Member

$400! Wow, Lee! I think I agree with Ted. That's in the price range of the real deal. No sense in buying that when brand new calabash gourd meerschaum bowl pipes are readily available. It seems you're looking at calabash gourd style pipes so you're probably familiar with their advantages. I'll just reiterate some of that for the benefit of all who aren't familiar and maybe to just hear myself talk a bit.

Most people are aware of the large smoke chamber and the cooling effect the calabash gourd has on the smoke. Maybe a lesser known advantage is that calabash gourd pipes are pretty much gurgle free.

The bowls are funnel shaped and the exit hole is right smack in the bottom of the bowl. Any collected moisture pretty much dribbles out through the exit hole and gets lost in the large abyss of the calabash gourd. If you do experience a very rare circumstance of gurgle, you can most assuredly smoke your way through it. 

In contrast, with typical briar pipes, the exit hole is in the side of the bowl near the bottom. Moisture usually pools in the bottom of the bowl, and unless you take a pause and shove a pipe cleaner in through the pipe stem and dab that little bit of moisture out, that moisture can eventually work its way up the stem and into your mouth. Yuk!

I own two large calabash gourd meerschaum pipes, both of which I bought back in the 70's or 80's. I usually use them for moist tobacco such as Gawith flakes or aromatics. There's nothing better for moist tobacco. Obviously the bigger the calabash gourd, the more effective the cooling effect. I'd even go so far as to say that one calabash gourd meerschaum pipe for $500 is a better deal than five briar pipes at $100 each.

That's my calabash gourd rant... 😊

1 Reply
Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

Yeah, it caught my eye when I was looking for a morta pipe (out of curiosity). I ended up buying a much cheaper one, from Poland, for about $75. My curiosity was satisfied without draining my finances. I still like the look of the Volkan I posted, but you lot have convinced me to go for a gourd meerschaum calabash instead 😊

Eminent Member

came across a pretty interesting pipe. Just wondering if it is worth getting this pipe. Appreciate any humble inputs it’s a 1924 kaywoodie/kbb pipe.

here it is.

https://www.mbsdpipes.com/product/kbb-cornell-university-class-of-1924-smooth-dublin-estate-briar-pipe/

4 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

It seems like a case of if you like it then there’s no reason not to get it. The only thing I would point out is that the Cornell University inlay is most of what you’re paying for, the same pipe without is would have a considerably lower value. 

Eminent Member

Hmm I see. What fascinates me the most is that time pipe is a hundred years old. Just hope that it will not smoke viriginia blends too hot

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

I like everything about it, except the C24 on the bowl. Superb condition, apparently, for a pipe 100 years old. Very reasonable price too, I think. Might make an excellent addition to your pipe collection.

Eminent Member

yeah the C24 is a lil out of place there haha

Nick R
Reputable Member

Neat pipe. If I had any connection  to Cornell it would be hard to pass up. 

target="_blank"