Forums

Tobacco mixing tray...

Notifications
Clear all

Tobacco mixing tray.

PaulT
Topic starter
Estimable Member

I like to air my tobacco before loading up. Whatever form that comes in plug, flake or ribbon. I use a bamboo tray for the job. What do you use? Or maybe you don't air dry your tobacco before smoking!

1715796373-61S9NLzxVDL.jpg
12 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Nice tray, I use an insurance advertisement shown in this thread:

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/community/tobacco-talk/letting-it-dry/#post-4487

5 Replies
PaulT

Estimable Member

🤣🤣 I'm thinking I've over purchased on my tray......🤣🤣 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

lol. I just quit using all of my rigid trays because of the difficulty in getting the tobacco from the tray into the pipe, especially those final small bits I like to put on top. Initially, I would dump the tobacco on to paper from the tray, then fill the bowl from the paper that I could bend. After a while, I just went straight to the paper. 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Plus that insurance advertisement is printed on some quality paper, I think it’s been four years now and it’s holding up great! 😃

PaulT

Estimable Member

Well, if you ever lose any small pieces from the insurance paper, you could make a claim 🤣🤣

I do plan to demmel a corner of the tray down to assist in clearing those bits away.

nach0

Noble Member

I don't think so. When cutting plugs or ropes the one you have is the best. 

Joseph
Noble Member

Nice tray! Opening up a corner would make that perfect.

I have a matching pair of stacking, home-made walnut “trays” that fit perfectly atop the cigar box that holds pipe related stuff on my tobacco shelf.

…just short scraps left over from woodworking projects, sanded and sealed with butcher block conditioner.

The top one holds my current rotation of pipes on hand. The second one is used as a cutting & drying board for bar- and cake-cut tobaccos - and for “glamour shots” on this forum. 🤣

The main thing they do is make it easy to lift my pipes out of the way when opening the cigar box. 😬

Trays aside, my tobacco always lands on a square of dry wax-paper to be weighed on a gram scale, and logged in my Pipe Smoking Journal. So, that’s usually where it sits while airing. And, I find them ideal for loading bowls from.

1715810894-IMG_3501.jpeg
2 Replies
PaulT

Estimable Member

Very nice, setup. Love Walnut.

Relight

Noble Member

Joseph, I truly think this is awesome. Weighing and logging. That's mad game right there. But I just can't imagine... me... trying to... nope no way. 

I obsess in different ways though. I'm still building a pipe rack in my head, despite the wild success of the door. 

Salute, amigo.🫡

Relight
Noble Member

I usually use a half sheet paper towel. 

Rene12
Honorable Member

I use the cover of whatever book I am reading. I do have a small wooden cheese board with knife to prepare plugs, they just dry on the board.

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

For some time I wondered if I could find an old silver tray and prepare my pipe like an english lord, while sipping tea and listening to Schubert.

For now it's an A4 paper sheet, and it's quite a good moisture hunter, maybe better than silver? I don't know...

1715849008-Screenshot_20240516-104247_Gallery.jpg

target="_blank"