Hello from Australi...

Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Australia & Sweden

Purple Potato
Topic starter
Eminent Member

Hello all,

I'm not actually in two places, I'm an Australian living in Sweden.

I was a cigarette smoker another lifetime ago, but quit that in my late 20s. After about five years of non-smoking, I picked up cigars and smoked them for a while (without inhaling), but that got too expensive. I tried pipes, but never really got into them as they burned my mouth really badly, seemingly no matter how slow or carefully I smoked them. And I just preferred the taste of a cigar. When I moved to Sweden, I started using snus (tobacco shoved up under the lip, a Swedish thing), but quit that because it's super addictive and not very good for your mouth!

Now I've picked up pipes again and have learned to smoke them without burning my mouth (I think my mouth might just be much more sensitive than most because I really don't smoke them fast!). But I discovered using a filter makes a big difference, as does the specific pipe that I choose.

So I've really been enjoying that lately. My favourite tobacco is Captain Earle's Ten Russians. I also like Squadron Leader and a few of the other Latakia-heavy tobaccos. I have some aromatic tobaccos too, but I'm just not very into them. They definitely smell nicer in the room the next day, but I find them very difficult to smoke and they only seem to taste nice for the first 3rd of the bowl, then they just taste like an ashtray. That Latakia-bombs for me are much more consistently flavorful all the way through and also burn so much cooler.

Anyway, it's nice to be here. I enjoy reading the reviews on the main site and added one myself (for Ten Russians).

Take it easy everyone.

20 Replies
Relight
Noble Member

Welcome from Denver, CO, mate. 

Glad you're here. 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Hello from Michigan!

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

G’day mate! I’m a “Pomme” living next door in Denmark. I can empathise with you when it comes to the burning sensation in your mouth. I never experienced it during the first 6 months of pipe smoking, but it gradually became a problem that needed a solution. Filters are definitely the most effective way of combating it. And, ok, I lose some intensity of flavour. But, they allow me to enjoy smoking tobacco. 
What pipes and filters do you prefer?

4 Replies
Purple Potato

Eminent Member

G'day. 🙂

I have a variety of pipes, but only a few favorites. My favorite pipe, both in terms of style and smoking experience (very cool and easy to smoke) is a Vauen straight billard with a 9mm filter. It's extremely similar to this one in appearance, but mine has a jet black finish. I feel it's a very masculine pipe personally. But it smokes like a million dollars as well. If I could only have one pipe for the rest of my life, it would be this one (I'm actually smoking a bowl of Peterson's Early Morning Pipe through it as I type!).

removed link

The filters I use are the "white elephant" brand 9mm ones. But I don't know enough about them to recommend them or anything. They just happened to be the ones I picked up and I have not tried anything else so far.

I have experimented with those small clay stones and crystals and stuff that you can put in the bottom of the bowl to see if they helped cool the smoke down a bit, but they made no difference to me.

The combination of good quality, big-bowled pipes with thick walls, a 9mm filter and non-flavoured, Latakia-heavy tobaccos has pretty much solved the tongue-bite/mouth-burn problems I had.

Another recommendation for anyone with that problem is to try a "Peterson System Pipe"  which are specially designed to prevent tongue-bite. I have one and it makes a real difference. The coolest burning pipe I have. I also have a Savinelli with their version of the "Peterson System" (I think they just copied it?) which is also good, but doesn't quite burn as cool as the Peterson. I think maybe because it's a much thinner-walled bowl  (dunno what that difference that makes, it maybe just be my imagination). 

Which pipes and tobaccos do you prefer?

Purple Potato

Eminent Member

Hello mate ... I'm not sure what happened here, so excuse me if you get two replies! I already replied once but it seems to have disappeared! I'll give you the short version this time in case there is two posts floating around.

So my favourite pipe is a 9mm filtered Vauen Straight Billard. It's almost identical to this one except that mine is finished jet black. It's a very manly pipe! 🙂 But also, it smokes really well and cool:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/vauen/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=590150

I have a few other pipes and can also recommend trying The Peterson "System Pipes" which are designed to cool the smoke down and they really work. My Peterson System pipe (also with a 9mm filter) is probably my coolest burning pipe. 🙂

I use elephant filters. Not because I think they're better than anything else. They just happened to be the ones I clicked on in the online shop.

What about you? What's your favourite pipe and/or filters?

BriarBerg

You need a minimum number of posts to attach links, which you've now hit (hence why the post before this has it removed but this one doesn't). Also, an user's first post that includes a link needs to be approved, so it didn't disappear, but was pending moderation. 

Just some securities so that bots and folks coming in to advertise and what-have-you are addressed before they can be disruptive. You should be good to go now. 

Welcome to the forum, Purple! Happy to have ya. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I have several favourite pipes, that get used more than my others. I love my IMP meerschaum bent apple, for example, as well as other bent apple pipes. I like how they feel in my hand and mouth. Also, the weight is closer to my face, so the pipe feels lighter when clenched, which I do occasionally.

I also like straight billiards with saddle bit stems. I think they look pretty cool and the mouthpiece feels comfortable.

Like you, I use White Elephant 9mm filters. I have the Supermix version (meerschaum and charcoal), for blends that would otherwise give me only mild “tongue-bite”, and just charcoal for the blends that are usually more troublesome. They work great!

I have some pipes that use 6mm filters and I have some Savinelli charcoal filters for these, as well as White Elephant filters. I like to experiment whenever possible! 😊

PaulT
Estimable Member

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Like you I do enjoy Latakia in my tobacco.

5 Replies
Purple Potato

Eminent Member

Cool. Which are your favourites? Any recommendations?

Captain Earle's Ten Russians does it for me. But right now I'm smoking Peterson's Early Morning Pipe and man ... it's really, really good. I also really enjoy "Squardron Leader".

nach0

Noble Member

Black Mallory is the first name that come to my mind. From Rattrays. Such good blend.

pipozzo volante

Reputable Member

Also Red Rapparee from Rattray's is a very good starting mixture to discover the amazing world of english pipe fog 🧐 

PaulT

Estimable Member

Mac Barren HH Latakia flake and Ashton Artisan blend my two favourites at the moment.

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Presbyterian, Squadron Leader, Artisan’s Blend, Plum Pudding Special Reserve, Black Frigate, Blue Queen… hmmmm… I suppose I like all of them, really! But those mentioned are particularly good, for my palate.

Joseph
Noble Member

Hello and welcome from California 🖐️ 🤠 

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

Welcome to the forum! Pipe smoking could be frustrating at the beginning, but it's gonna be quite rewarding soon! You're already on a good path avoiding the aromatics that smell like cherry and flowers (sorry for the aroma-lovers 🤣 ).

I have a question about the burning: do you smoke your tobacco a bit humid? If so I bet you have to relight very often and that could be the problem. In that case, I let my mixture dry a bit simply on a piece of paper, Squadron Leader is one of those tobaccos that are quite in need of air when fresh opened, for example.

1 Reply
Purple Potato

Eminent Member

Thanks for the tips there. I have experimented with different dryness-ess (is that a word?) of the tobaccos. I usually smoke them pretty much as-they-come from the tin unless they happen to be exceptionally moist.

But thanks for the advice, I'll try drying them out a bit more again (I haven't done it in a while).

In any case, the filter, a good pipe and an English tobacco pretty much solves the problem for me.

nach0
Noble Member

Hello and welcome from Brazil 🍻 

Templekeeper
Eminent Member

A very relatable story, I also started with cigars and never got into cigarettes.
Hello and welcome!
Also, I love Sweden and Denmark!

Flip
Estimable Member

Hello and welcome from Minneapolis!!

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Hi from Canada. Sounds like you're fitting right in already.

target="_blank"