Gold Slice pipe tobacco is a long cut Virginia Flake manufactured in the traditional British style. Pressed into cakes, lightly stoved, then cut after aging. Gold Slice has the naturally fresh and tangy taste characteristic of the best Virginia Flake. Long burning and cool smoking, with a pure tobacco aroma, this flake can be rubbed fine for indoor use, or smoked rough outdoors. No flavorings, nothing artificial. Just rich tasting, highest quality pipe tobacco.

Notes: Distributed by Arango Cigar Co.

BrandWessex
Blended ByWessex
Manufactured BySutliff
Packaging1.5 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (116)

A rather long Va. flake in a round can . At first it looked to me like Sutlif flake with that long brown and golden visage . Upon smoking it had that hay like taste that plain Va. flakes sometimes give . I left the rest in the can a while and it really took off . This has become my go to afternoon smoke as it is not delicate enough for the A.M. smoke . That being said I now go through a can a week at least and keep a few cans in reserve . This is not a folded flake so you need to take some care in rubbing it out but it compares very well to my favorite flakes . At the price , and considering the availability , this is a sleeper .

Just as advertised. Most flakes are almost 4" long and have an ideal moisture content and pliability for my fold and pack technique. Smokes cool, without condensation or bite. Great VA taste so give it a try.

Pipe Used: various briar bowl sizes

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

This straight golden Virginia flake provides a lot of mildly tangy citrus, floral grass and hay, along with a few drops of honey and sugar, mild bread notes, a bare pinch of spice, and a touch of wood. The strength is a couple of steps past the mild mark, and the taste falls just shy of the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit barely crosses the mild threshold. Won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed, but it does have a rough edge here and there. The flakes easily break apart to suit your preference, and the moisture level is comfortable enough that it needs no dry time. Burns cool, clean and tad slow with a very consistent, mildly sweet, uncomplicated flavor that translates to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights, depending on how you prepare it. The room note is pleasant. An easy going all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

-JimInks

James C. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
James C. (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a great Virginia flake. The stoving brings out a rich honey sweetness and the bright leaf brings on the lemony citrus and zesty qualities. Darker shades round out the high notes but don't tamp them. Flavor remains consistent, mellows and develops down the bowl. Burns easily to a fine ash. I agree with the other reputable reviewers here. I will add that I took samples of some top Virginas on a trip and smoked them all randomly and exclusively. This came on top for flavor profile and smoking qualities. Top notch is you prefer lemon Virginia.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: ~1yr

Similar Blends: Capstan Gold, McClelland 22.

Screaming Jazz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Screaming Jazz (6)

For the first 1/5 of the bowl, it was only sub par. As I worked my way down the complexity began to shine. Fresh it does have some rough edges. With a year or two in the jar, those edges should round out to make something amazing. 8.8/10

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin D'Accord

BB8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BB8 (1)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Wessex Gold Slice is premium aged Virginia tobacco. It offers abundant wheat, hay and sweet grass aromas from the tin. The flakes are "average" in thickness and size, also clumped together in the tin. There was not much visible crystallization on the surface of the tobacco. The flakes have a hard and smooth feel to them of high-quality tobacco. They come apart easily for packing into a pipe. One match is required to light. This pure aged flake burns slow and brings about the familiar scent of Virginia tobacco...sweet and fresh earth, grass and crisp winter night air. A hint of clove, maybe from the corn cob pipe. Relighting was not necessary for me. I found Wessex Gold Slice to rank high up with some of the best tobaccos I have tried so far.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Similar Blends: J.F. Germain Medium Flake.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (182)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

naturally sweet and with that pleasant hay like Virginia taste. Especially at the start of the bowl. Smokes slow and even. its a bit milder than the virginia flake also by wessex. I like them both but this is a more generalized smoke somehow. But im splitting hairs. They are quite similar. Id say there is more bright in this, and its stoved a bit more. Good stuff. 3 and a half stars.

Purchased From: 4 noggins/ cup o joe's

LiterarySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LiterarySmoker (135)

As I explore new blends, I've been interested in some of the Pure Virginia options out there. I've enjoyed all the ones I've tried so far: HH Pure Virginia, Orlik Golden Sliced, Capstan Blue and Yellow. I like the fruity, citrus and hay notes you can get from a bright blend, and also the bready dark fruit notes you can get from a brown flake.. So I thought this sounded interesting and ordered a tin.

The tin art is a little dull, but don't let that fool you. When you open up your tin you will see beautifully golden flakes. I couldn't wait to load up a pipe. The tin note is lovely: citrusy, bright hay, grass, and sugar. Now the flakes are pretty soft and they fall apart on their own, so I've been gently rubbing them out. They come at a good moisture and take a light well.

Lighting up is an immediate pleasure. The taste is soft and sweet. The sweet citrus comes up front, and draws you in, there is some hay notes, and some light grassiness. What captivates me is how sweet and smooth this is. This comes across as more well rounded than HH Pure Virginia but not as sweet as Capstan Yellow or OGS.

For the taste I give a medium. It is mellow, but very well balanced. The flavor is a constant. The strength is a mild-medium. I don't really feel it, but with flavor this good who cares? The room note is pleasant and smells sweet. It burns cool and consistent. Just lighting this makes me relax, if it were more available I'd call it an all day blend for me.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal XL90

Similar Blends: HH Pure Virginia, Capstan Yellow, Orlik Golden Sliced.

StevieB (2030)

Wessex - Gold Slice.

My blend didn't have the appearance I expected. From the description and other reviews I'd prepared myself for a long coil but my tin contained only one stack of flakes measuring approx. 3x2 inches, and rather thin. Folding and stuffing was never an option, because they're thin and stuck together (although not too moist) they crumble apart as they're removed from the tin.

Gold Slice takes to the flame easily, giving a consistent burn, but can go fairly quickly if not smoked tentatively. The flavour's nice enough, having ample sweetness, a slight tang, hay, and a bready quality. Most of the usual Virginia citrus/grass/sharp notes elude me, keeping the way clear for a more mature flavour; there's hay, but nothing too sharp. Tongue bite stays out of the game.

Nicotine: below medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Gold Slice? A good smoke but not a 'great' smoke. Three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various (took it on my vacation)

rattdogg99 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg99 (45)

What a lovely smoke. It's taste seems to to take its notes from the high desert mountains in which I live. Cool, crisp, clean flavors that remind me of summer. Perfect amount of natural sweetness with no sour notes. I don't know if you could make this bite if you tried. Easily takes a light and burns at a slow, steady rate throughout the bowl. A previous reviewer call this blend a sleeper and I must agree. I wish I had discovered it years ago.

Pipe Used: Various