BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist
3.4
S. Shamah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
S. Shamah (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is my first time ordering from The Country Squire. After reading a comment on a pipe forum, I decided to give them a try. After some reviews I decided on my first order, which consisted of Cherokee, Parson's Blend and Second Breakfast. Placed my order, 3 days later at the most, I received it. Before receiving it, I did have a question. Emailed Jon David, he could not have been more helpful and friendly. I can tell that service is very important at this shop. Anyway, after a long debate on which to try first, I decided on Cherokee. All I can say is WOW! This tobacco is highly rated for a reason. I have tried A LOT of tobaccos, from famous name brands to local B&M blends. But this one is truly something special. It is better than tobaccos that are triple the price. It is so smooth, creamy and sweet. Even with my tendency to have a fast cadence, it never became hot or gave me tongue bite whatsoever. Excellent tobacco with just a hint of sweetness, none finer. Could easily become my new daily smoker. If you are reading this and are thinking about trying it, do it! You will not be disappointed...and I haven't even tried the other 2 yet...can't wait. Thank you very much Jon and I look forward to doing more business with y'all very soon...

Pipe Used: MM Cob, Briars

Similar Blends: None..

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginias offer a lot of tart and tangy citrus, grass, a little tangy dark fruit, earth and wood along with a drop or two of honey. They are the lead components. The toasted black cavendish adds some sugar and, well, toast in a strong support role. The rich, creamy nougat sublimates the tobaccos quite a lot, though it doesn’t totally drown them out. I sense a hint of honey as well as a light fruitiness that seems to be cherry, but it's overwhelmed by the nougat. The strength is in the center of mild to medium, while the taste is a step below the media threshold. The nic-hit - not often very evident in aros of this kind - is mild. No chance of bite, harshness or rough edges. The tobacco is a little moist, but I saw no need to dry it. Burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a very consistent sweet, creamy flavor from start to finish that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste and room note. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. An all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

-JimInks

Fivestringbass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fivestringbass (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend was a gamble, as I had never heard of the "Old Country Squire" - and do most online ordering thru P&C or Holts. This Cherokee is truly a great mild aromatic - in which the tobacco flavor is noticed (vs. most aromatics, which, while possibly very good smokes, are more dessert than tobacco [i.e. Molto Dolce - an excellent but truly sweet blend]). Burned a bit hot, but I'm heavy and quick on the pipe. I did dry it out a few hrs before filling the bowl, but it burned evenly w/ no tongue bite. Definitely going into regular rotation. If you like Lane 1-Qish blends, give this a try for more of a true tobacco-aromatic experience.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie bent billiard

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (192)

A light aromatic I can see why Cherokee is the most famous of the Squire's House Blends. The flavor I get is definitely a light nougat, but it does not overpower completely the Virginias which are still noticable.

The virginias come through while the cavendish seems to be carrying the flavor.

If you smoke it too hot it can bite a little. But I had no issues as long as I paid attention to what I'm doing. A little moist to my taste straight out of the jar, but I gave it about 30 minutes of airing and it light great and burned wonderfully.

I really enjoy this one as a morning smoke with a cup of coffee to start my day. I Prefer Choctaw as the Tobacco notes come through more but this is still a classic that everyone should try.

Pipe Used: Cob, Morgan Bones

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Nougat (No.24), The Country Squire Tobacconist - Choctaw (Aromatic), The Country Squire Tobacconist - Indian Outlaw.

Phillip Ellis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phillip Ellis (14)

John David Cole of the country squire continues a legacy started by the Reeves family. Some of their blends date back to the original owner and this is one of them. This is a staple aromatic blend that will not goop up your pipe and leave your hands feeling like glue. The flavor is very pleasant and its easy on the mouth. If you are looking for a nice blend to start on or an all day smoke that your significant other will adore give it a try.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Comoys, & Dunhill

Purchased From: TCS

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (71)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A good crowd pleasing aromatic with a light casing that offers plenty of flavor with no bite. I have gone back to it many times over the years but it has never hit the spot for me, doesn't mean it isn't good though, there are many who smoke nothing else and love the flavor profile. I believe if you lean more toward the aromatic blends you must give it a try, 40 years of being a best seller for a smoke shop such as the The Country Squire has to speak to something magical.

Pipe Used: Various Italian Briars

Purchased From: The Country Squire Tobacconist

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (16)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm a big fan of Jon David and Beau's "The Country Squire Radio" podcast. JD is a top-notch proprietor and there's a reason this blend is highly recommended.

Cherokee will bite if you are heavy handed, but I found that if I sip it right on the edge of going out, the flavor palette blossoms. The mellow Virginias are up front on the draw and are followed by sweet Cavendish with notes of honey and nougat. Burned dry. Low-nic. A truly all day smoke.

If you like nougat aromatics, this is a must try.

Pipe Used: Peterson System 302

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Nougat (No.24), Sutliff Tobacco Company - Nougat #24 (Sutliff Private Stock).

jasoncbaily Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jasoncbaily (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Great daily smoke. Very mild. Pleasant room note. Enjoyable any time of the day. Not a big nicotine hit. Just a great go to smoking tobacco.

Pipe Used: Neerup 3 Brandy

Mork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mork (68)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Cherokee, The Country Squire

Description: Our signature blend. A precise mixture of the choicest Virginias pair with toasted cavendish to create a semi-sweet blend that has a fantastic tobacco flavor. An excellent daily smoke!

Storage/Age: Sample from a friend.

Flavor Profile:

Mildly citrusy, a bit of honey, very obvious cavendish heavy aromatic. The nougat topping is very present, but I do get a measure of underlying tobacco. However, as opposed to other aromatics I have reviewed where the topping seemed to enhance the natural tobacco flavor, this seems to be just random tobacco base with a topping placed on them.

Solid for 3/4s of the bowl, it gets a bit harsh in the bottom quarter.

Subjective Musings:

I think it’s perfectly pleasant to smoke and the taste translates fairly well. But overall I’ve had better from the Ace sample pack and certainly in the broader aromatic genre.

I got excited when I saw the “fantastic tobacco flavor” portion of the description. I love tobacco forward aromatics. This really isn’t in that category- I’m being harsher about this than I normally would since TCS made the claim themselves. If they had just said “here’s a nougat aromatic” I’d be way more forgiving.

My less reactionary thoughts line up with “gee, this is perfectly pleasant.” I’m not getting any goop, it’s burning cooly and consistently, and the topping is nice. It translates well to taste and I’m sure would be a crowd pleaser smell wise.

Cellar Notes/Final Thoughts:

I’ll certainly smoke my way through this ounce I was sent. This particular one wouldn’t make the cut for buying more of on my end, but it’s a perfectly serviceable higher quality American aromatic.

Rating: 5.2/10. Would be higher in the 5s if the bottom quarter hadn’t turned on me quite as much.

Rating Scale:

3 - I’ll Finish the Bowl, I guess

2 - I Wish I Hadn’t Done This

1 - Why Would This Get Produced

0 - Dump the Bowl

Brief Overview of Reviewer’s General Tastes: I am primarily a VA (and it’s variant combination forms) smoker who has great affinity for SG and comparable EU manufactured blends, along with a few of the US micro blender shops. I do enjoy English/Balkan blends on occasion and a few very specific tobacco forward aromatics. I am exceptionally picky about blends and tend to cellar deep and narrow on things, reserving the bulk of my cellar planning and space for items I find to be of significant worth as far as taste and experience. Anything of quality, but not of obsessive value to me, is cellared and purchased as condimental flavor breaks between my regular rotation.