Lane Limited Medal of Valor

(3.04)
Taking it's name from the highest award presented to Public Safety Officers in the United States, this Lane Limited blend combines a heavy presence of specially selected latakia, accompanied by loose and cross cut Virginias, burley, and hints of Oriental and perique.
Notes: A "re-make" of Medal of Honor although the components of MOH were Virginia, Mahalla, Dubec and Mountain Leaf latakia.

Details

Brand Lane Limited
Blended By STG-Lane Ltd.
Manufactured By STG-Lane Ltd.
Blend Type English

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.04 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews
Jun 11, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I've never smoked Medal of Honor so I can't make a comparison, but I'm gonna guess that this isn't supposed to be a match. First off, MOH had Mahalla and Dubec for the Oriental component and MOV has " hints of Oriental ". Secondly, as far as I know, MOH had no Burley or Perique. I suppose this should be judged on it's own merits, which is all I can do anyway, and in that regard it's a decent smoke. I smoked it in three different types of pipe and as usual got three different results.

Cob (MM Diplomat Apple) - The Burley had too strong of an influence and that seemed to unbalance the blend. I don't think the blender intended for it to be tasted this way. It wasn't bad, just smoked like an American English that was just a bit off.

Clay (Markus Fohr #4) - Smoked more like a traditional English, albeit, one with a good bit of Perique. The Burley was hardly noticed. A nice smoky, sweet, spicy, woody smoke. Not bad at all.

Briar (Jobey Pot) - Smokes like a nicely balanced American English. This is probably what the blender had in mind. The Burley is noted, but behaves itself allowing all the other components to have their say.

I like it in both the clay and the briar. It's like having two blends in one. Either way you go with it it's a three star blend. Not spectacular, but pretty solid.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. Burns very nicely. This was the bulk version.
Pipe Used: listed in review
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: fresh bulk
Apr 22, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The Cyprian latakia is richly smoky, woody sweet, and is a main component. The Virginias offer a little earth and a touch of grass along with a slight fruit and citrus as the base for the other components to strut their stuff. In a support role is the nutty, lightly earthy and molasses sweet burley which underscores most every puff without showing any force. The Oriental and perique are minor additions. The Oriental has a woody, dry character that provides a little complexity, and is noticeable most of the time. The perique is raisiny with a little spice, though you don’t always taste it. The nic-hit is closer to mild than it is to medium. Won’t bite unless you put a live piranha fish in the bowl. Burns at a moderate pace, cool, clean and smooth with a mildly creamy, fairly consistent flavor. Requires few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the pipe. The strength leans more toward medium than mild, and the taste borders the medium threshold. Has enough complexity to hold your interest, and could be an all day smoke with little trouble.

-JimInks
Jul 02, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
Lane Ltd - Medal of Valour.

I received this as a freebie with an order from Smoking Pipes.com. This is my first blend from Lane Ltd, so it's a new experience!

Note: as this was free with an order it was supplied in bulk form as opposed to a tin.

The smell from the pouch? Completely non-startling, it's like every other English/Balkan out there. The colour of the blend's prominently medium brown, with a smaller amount of black flecks across it. As this was from bulk, it's not had any of the water sealed inside.

At first, I'd say the Latakia's in the lead: smoky, woody, and rich, but after the initial puffs it calms down somewhat and makes room for the others. The Burley's tasty: it's not too headstrong, but gives the smoke a robust touch. The Virginia offers a base-note to the smoke: what it lacks in dazzling flavour, it makes up for by being a constant and stable taste. The longer I smoke this, the more I think I can identify the Perique. Don't expect to get a big blast of spice, I'm talking more of a figgy/dark fruitiness; and it's very subtle.

The room-note's pleasant, and the nicotine's about medium.

Even though I miss the 'big Lat' taste' once it's calmed down, I still enjoy the flavour I get. I wouldn't call it the best English I've had, but it's not the worst by a million miles.

Recommended.
Pipe Used: Levent Meer' Claw
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes.com (freebie)
Feb 28, 2017 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I finally decided to give Medal of Valor a try less than a year ago. Just for fun, I pulled out a Mason Jar full of old Medal of Honor that I keep with other jarred tobacco that I don't smoke much off and smoked a bowl of it first. I waited an hour and then tried a bowl of Medal of Valor. It is a nice blend, but the only similarity I could find between the two was the tin top label. Medal of Valor has a less smoky Latakia presentation and the Virginia added less bottom. The Orientals whispered but the Perique shouted. A very nice English style smoke with some spiciness you will not find in Medal of Honor.
Sep 18, 2015 Medium Medium Medium Pleasant
Medal of Valor is my afternoon coffee blend. Not to strong. A little woody and a lot of nutty ness. Packs very well and if left to breath for an hour or so lights better than if packed out of the tin. This is not a heavy latakia blend. It is more a very mild flavor and medium bodied blend that smells more like a British blend than tastes like one. I tend to really like latakia and my palate tends to run on the strong side. So for me this was light. My barbershop group likes this blend as well. Room note is average. I like the nutty flavor. It works very well with dark beer and scotch as well.
Pipe Used: Dunhill, Peterson, Savinelli, Comoy
PurchasedFrom: JR'S Cigar Outlet
Age When Smoked: fresh tin
May 23, 2017 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
I want to state up front that I agree with reviewers Pipestud and Gentleman Zombie that this blend is not Medal of Honor. Medal of Valor has both Perique and Burley in it's formula and this makes it spicier than the MOH I smoked in the past. I remember older versions of MOH as being a ruddy brown in tin color with darker flecks while MOV presents a much more standard and expected tan to dark flecks variation. The tin aroma of MOV was stronger than I expected from my experiences with MOH and much spicier. However, upon lighting and smoking I found MOV to be, basically, a borderline mild/medium English blend with all of it's components working in relative harmony. My remembrance of MOH is that of an Oriental-forward borderline mild/medium English blend. Medal of Honor remained consistent over the decades I smoked it, in an off and on manner, but changed in the last several years of it's lifespan to, ironically, something much more akin to the present Medal of Valor. I actually felt more positive about the later variation of MOH and feel the current MOV looks like it in the tin and smokes more like it. As for my smoking of it, my test smoke broke down like this: top third - not bad but a little spicy on the tongue, middle third - as is the case with so many pipe blends, this third was the most enjoyable and developed into a rich marrying of all components and the bottom third - also like so many blends, was the least part of the smoke and fell from richness to toned-down to rather blah. I score this blend as: top third 3 stars, middle third 4 stars and bottom third 2 stars with an average of 3 stars - recommended.
Pipe Used: Ashton LX 1/4 bent billiard
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: six months old
Dec 27, 2016 Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
First thing that i notice is that there is a particular taste/sensation that comes from this blend which can be attributed to orientals perhaps, something that strikes as a fresh sensation in the mouth with a dry perfumed sweetness that is not associated with the virginia amidst the Latakia flavour, something a little spicy that is not the perique also. This is for me at least, the very centre of this blend and its particularity as well. It is present during the whole experience.

As for the rest, you can find a good portion of Latakia as pivotal centre where moderate presence of virginia as an oblique sour sweet flavour plays, very subtle though, and burley as a dry and neutral appointment without the nuttyness associated, this lets the aforementioned characteristics circumvent the latakia, making it a rather dry smoke a little creamy with a perceptible touch of muskyness, in the tongue burley dominates and perique is barely perceived.

I would say it is a consistent English blend with emphasis on burley and delicate subnotes of orientals, as said before not creamy, rather dry, not sweet rather perfumed. Good for the price and must be judged accordingly.

Pipe Used: Principe Albert
Dec 18, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Very Strong
In my mind, this is a Balkan related blend with a fair amount of oriental in it the smokiness is a little forced, which probably will improve with aging. I have enjoyed this and look forward to trying when it is some what older.
Aug 05, 2016 Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable
I received a pretty good sample of this blend at the last Chicago show and enjoyed it. This hits my tastebuds as a pretty standard (English) lat blend, so I was actually pretty surprised to see the amount of ingredients used. In particular, the addition of Burley and Perique in the mixture.

The burley did not surprise me as much as I was getting hints of nuttiness that I had assumed to be an oriental grade. I really did not detect Perique at all. I found the blend to be light in Latakia and felt a strong presence from both the Virginia and Orientals as there was a sweet/sour thing that seem to go on through each bowl.

To my personal tastes this is a two star blend as it is not my favorite flavor profile in a lat blend, but it is also well done and smokes great and very well could be a four star blend to someone who is looking for this type of flavor profile. Contrasting this with crown achievement, which I absolutely love, this blend is very tame despite having a similar tobacco composition. MOV is much simpler and will provide an enjoying smoke; Whereas, CA is dark, mysterious and will take you places.

Jul 20, 2019 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong
Bulk. Packs easily and lights well. Bag aromas of Latakia and some Orientals are noticeable. Latakia flavors up front. The Orientals are very noticeable and smooth. I get a bit of the burley here and there but it is a minor player. I do not get much of the perique but occasionally notice some figs. Creamy body, mild smoke. Can be an all day smoke on those cool fall says. Mild nic hit, won't bite.

target="_blank"