Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch

(3.43)
POTLATCH ~ the traditional Northwest Indian Celebration of Plenty. Sumptuous feasts and ritual ceremonies lasted weeks. Gifts were shared with many old and new friends. The Seattle Pipe Club’s Potlatch is just such a gift of our pipe tobacco. Enjoy this lavish mixture of seven rare ingredients: black cavendish marries with luxury burley, Cyprian latakia, bright Virginias, Turkish, Orientals and Acadian perique. Crafting the most sought-after small batch blends in America since 2007.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.43 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 Reviews
Jun 23, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Well, all the Seattle Pipe Club blends are of high quality. And Potlach is a very much appreciated English right now. But if there is such a thing as too complex, then this might be it. Or, it could just be an idiosyncratic thing on my part but I really didn;t love this. I expected to but I didn;t. I would bet I could blind taste this and tell it was a recently developed blend. I say that because it has a certain over ambitious quality to it. For me, subjective here, there is too much Perique. And somehow there is so much going on that I cant focus on any one thing. I get a jumble of taste. To me the greatest blends...the old balkan sobranie (im old enough to remember that), or the old original Smyrna by john cotton, or some of original Dunhill blends, you get complexity but you also get a signature taste. A tobacco blenders vision if you will. Here i dont. But again, very good quality and while Im not giving it four stars it certainly could be deserving of it if your taste runs in this direction.
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins
Feb 18, 2018 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Tin aroma is sweet Virginia's, Cavendish and smokey Latakia. There are some sour notes in the aroma as well most likely from the Turk/Oriental. Potlach makes me think of the tobacco's of another age. For some reason I get an "old world" feel from this blend. Unsweetened Cavendish and the kitchen sink blended in, but nothing in massive proportions. Condiments are used as condiments and they blend together very nicely. The tobacco is a little flat for my tastes, but it is a thoughtful and complex blend. For transparency, I like a dominant flavor in my smoke. This doesn't really have a dominant player, and if I had to say there was one, I would say it is the Cavendish. The smoke provides flavors from sweet and smokey (Cavendish, VA's and Latakia) to earthy and spicy (Perique and Turk/Orientals). The perique was barely noticeable to me and I attribute the earthiness to the Cavendish as well as the melange of Orientals and Virginia's. This seems to play to an old school palate and I appreciate it. It is a nice thought less smoke for me, the burn characteristics are fantastic: easy to pack, light and forget about. The nicotine level is low and the after taste is pleasant. Some other flavors I noticed were toasted bread, dark fruits here and there and sour hints from the Orientals. For me this is a once in awhile tobacco and it invokes rainy days and/or morning smokes. I found this best in a cob (Lil' acorn to be exact made the flavors more concentrated and sweet). If you are new to English this might be a good first step, although I always shy away from that type of recommendation since sometimes you don't know what you don't know. Another nice blend from the master blender at SPC.
Pipe Used: Briar's and cobs
PurchasedFrom: B&M
May 09, 2017 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A tale of two halves for me. In the first half I get mostly Burley, Latakia, and Oriental. This gives me smoky wood, a slight sourness, and a nutty earthiness. Only a hint of sweetness at this point. In the second half the fruitiness and spice of the Perique join in shortly followed by the sweet hay of the Virginias. The Black Cav adds a little more sweetness. The first half isn't much to my liking as it's a bit dull. It livens up nicely in the second half and becomes a very pleasant smoke. I guess with the long list of components, it's not surprising that it would take a while for the character to develop, but I have some trouble waiting for it to do so. 2 stars for me.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. No added flavoring. Burns very well.
Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Jun 07, 2018 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I'm not going to give this a long review as to why I don't like it, although I will somewhat reccomend it for being a very complex blend. I think it is the variety of woody, flat, very smoky Latakia used (which I find in other blends so obviously other people like it).

I will just say that it is mild on the nicotine and has a woody, dry, sometimes nutty taste and a body which I find the opposite of "creamy".

If there were more burly taste and strength,I'd be able to classify it as an American/English.
Jun 06, 2021 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Certainly interesting to come across a tobacco named after the information bulletin of the Lettrist International, made up of a combination of tobaccos that illustrates the concept of "surplus value"...so I will try to do a Debordian central critique of this smoke... I'm joking a bit there, I realize both the magazine and this tobacco have the same source for their name...

Opening the tin, you are greeted with some tangy and tart Oriental and Virginia aromas, with that musky Perique note in the background. The Latakia is applied with a very light hand, and the cut of the tobaccos is a sizable ribbon.

In the pipe, the Cavendish is basically unnoticeable, and just contributes to the cool burning quality. You get some of that good, nutty, burnt toast bitterness from a quality burley, and the musty Perique peeks in and out throughout the smoke. It is a medium flavored smoke all the way through, and to me, mild on the nicotine; but keep in mind I am liable to smoke a small pipe of pure Perique on occasion, so my opinion on nicotine levels may not match yours. Required a couple of relights at the bottom of the bowl, and I enjoyed the second half more than I enjoyed the first.

The only thing that keeps me from rating this higher is it just doesn't hit my preferred flavor profile. I would give it two and a half stars personally, but if it's more your style, you would likely rate it higher. Definitely a quality blend, and I would get it out of that cardboard tin and into a glass or ceramic container pretty quickly. It's got an ideal, ready to smoke moisture upon first opening, but left in the can overnight, it seems like it wants to dry right out. The Virginias are a quality addition, and seem well aged, as I never get the harsh "cigarette-y" quality I can pick up from cheaper or less well-aged Virginias. Despite the number of tobacco varieties included here, it holds together as a straightforward medium blend. If you are Latakia-phobic, feel free to dive in as it seems to have just enough of that leaf to be synergistic with the Orientals.

I see it listed as a Balkan, and I know all these terms are pretty much in the eye (or palate) of the beholder, but I certainly wouldn't call it a Balkan, more like a VaPerBur....Worth a try, as it is certainly a quality blend, but I don't see myself picking up another tin of it, as it just doesn't really fit my tastes. I prefer Ten Russians to Plum Pudding, but I'd like to sample some of the other Seattle Pipe Club blends, because this certainly is well put together.
Pipe Used: petes, spigots and Donegal Rocky
PurchasedFrom: pipes and cigars
Age When Smoked: fresh!!!!

target="_blank"