Rattray Red Rapparee

(3.39)
Exhilarating and elusive, quaint and seductive. Prepared from choice red Virginias and heavily flavored with Orientals, giving it a red tinge. It burns in the pipe with the spontaneity of a fine cigar. New description: A charming, perfectly balanced dark mixture of Virginia tobaccos, Orientals, black cavendish and a luxurious quantity of latakia. The ash is pale grey and similar to that of a good cigar. A wonderful, spicy mixture.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.39 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 71 - 80 of 207 Reviews
Feb 04, 2013 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong
Rattrays Red Rapparee… Not much to add about this old favorite that has not already been said by many others, except I found this blend different enough in flavor, when compared with my usual domestic VA blends that IMO anybody that enjoys such blends, that has not tried RR could be missing a winner. Personally if found this stuff a bit too strong, not so much its nicotine level, but with its aggressive almost aromatic (German style} flavor. For me a single bowl of RR is about all I can take before it's taste becomes overwhelming. So for my day to day choice I find myself reaching for a milder, smoother and less ARO like blend and saving RR for a change of pace smoke. So when it comes to VA. blends my “go-too” tobaccos probably will rarely include this one.
Nov 18, 2008 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
Delicate tan, black, brown, and olive short cut ribbon with a pleasantly fragrant tin nose of pungent orientals and smoky latakia with just a hint of sweet virginias.

According to the blender (Kohlhase & Kopp) of the tin on which this review is based, Red Rapparee is:

"A classic blend of spicy latakia, distinctive cuts of virginia, dark cavendish, and a healthy dose of orientals" (Klassischer Blend aus würzigem Latakia, unterschiedlich geschnittenen Virginatabaken, dunklem Cavendish und einem deutlichen Anteil Orient).

Quite wet in the tin (recent production), but dries quickly due to the fine cut. Packs and lights like a dream, immediately revealing a spicy top note which persists alongside a range of tangy, almost sour, flavors which meld nicely with the bright tasting virginias. Although it does make its presence known from time to time, the latakia clearly plays second fiddle here. The cavendish does seem to add some texture to the blend, but not much else.

Red Rapparee is, by my estimation, a fine oriental blend which deserves careful and measured consideration. It does have a tendency to bite, although this perhaps due to the youth of this particular sample. Should improve with age.
Nov 06, 2008 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Red Rapparee is my favorite tobacco, bar none. As long as it is around, I will be a happy camper. This is The Oriental mixture. While it shares many characteristics, it is not a Balkan, though a mere handful of Latakia, and it would be a Dreadnought of a Balkan. The Virginia and Orientals marry well, giving a sweet, pungent aroma. The flavor is very dry and citrusy, like a spicy bitter orange. Although many claim there is no Latakia in RR, I pick up faint background notes here and there, but it never comes to the fore. It just adds its leathery notes and a little oak smoke, then stands in the back of the room. It has a thin cut, packs well, and burns well, needing few relights, and I am usually to the bottom before I know it, the flavor never going sour (or more sour anyway). It is very close to Smoker's Haven Exotique (by Germain), but comes at perfect smoking moisture. This is one of only two mixtures I have dedicated a pipe to.
Jun 08, 2008 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Two words: crazy good!

My all time favorite tobacco (wait, did I say that about MM965?). For the English/Oriental lover. Has teensie bit of latakia (if any at all), but full of great Orientals. The delish VAs create sweet, woodsy overtones, balancing with the spicy/smokey aroma from the Orient.

Smokes/packs great, hardly a re-light needed. Smoke starts out amazing but gets even better and complex (stronger with darker and salty/sour overtones)towards mid-bowl and bottom.

Recommend letting a fresh can "breath" (unseal and cover with plastic lid) for a few days, although not absolutely necessary, however I find it somehow brings out the flavors/aroma. Has satisfying amount of nicotine, in the mid range. Could smoke this stuff all day long, regardless of season. Where is that desert island? I have found the tobacco!

Red Rapparee powerfully reminds me why I gave up smoking cigars.

Rating: 97

-- Robert, "Mr Grabow", Bonsall Calif.
Apr 14, 2008 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
A SUPERB oriental mixture from Rattray's.

For the record, I bought the bulk version, the only version available in Canada. It is most probably different than the tin, so until I buy the tinned version, these are my impressions.

Contains barely any Latakia, but remains a very rich, satisfying smoke. Extremely tasty, and the advantage is that you can smoke it in company without the dog starting to howl to death and scratch at the door, trying to escape.

Nice red shades, partially loose cut and ready rubbed, mixed with some brown and a small proportion of black leaves. Ideal moisture level.

Packs extremely well, lights oh so well, burns ideally. Rich Oriental taste alterning with the rich red VA, occasionnal hints of Latakia.

Wow! Here's a good occasion to pour myself a scandalous amount of Balvanie single malt 12 years...

Past half bowl, the tastes get stronger, but not overwhelming. Nice- and I have my Balvanie to smooth it down.

Man, such a nice change from the Latakia blends.

Bravo to Rattrays.
Apr 13, 2008 Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
A classic oriental, superior to EMP, more complex and changing, as always...well done KnK and Rattray's.
Mar 06, 2008 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable
"ÜPDATE"...7th/03/2008. After storing approximately 10 Ounce's of Red Rapparee,away in a rubber sealed jar for 5 year's.I finally popped open the lid and had a smell of the content's (Which was heavenly) I rubbed just enough out and filled one of my Peterson 14 Bent Pipe's. As soon as the flame touched the inner top of the bowl and I took a small slow draw on my pipe "I WAS IN HEAVEN" The moisture content was absolutely 100% Perfect,the taste absolutely divine!!! I slowly sat down in my arm chair to really enjoy and concentrate on every beautiful draw with this pure delight. (No tongue burn what so ever,and the blend had perfectly absorbed the very best that each tobacco blend was in it,and had to offer leaving no question's of "If only" At all. It's perfection now in it's own right. I'll try very hard to make this perfect blend last,as long as possible. It's absolutely wonderful. "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"
November-2003.Red Raparee. A most enjoyable smoke that is full of flavour.Light's easily & behave's very well, though a suggestion of a bite,if puffed to fast! If you enjoy red Virginia's or Oriental's,then this is worth a try as a combination of both.I can imagine a great improvement,if left to age.
Mar 02, 2008 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Tin: Mostly bright, light-brown medium-to-long ribbon cut, some black, short ribbon, with a minute amount of olive medium-cut ribbon. I don't perceive a red tinge. Has a musty, raisin smell akin to McCranie's Red Ribbon.

Packing & Lighting: Easy to pack, gravity feed with tapping, then compress the top. Lightly moist, but the tobacco is easily rolled into a ball, but is not sticky. Lights easily and stays lit. No moisture problems at all; afterwards, when cleaning the pipe, there is only a little condensate left in the bowl. Taste: Part of the way through the bowl, I was reminded of Dunhill 965, having a smooth quality akin to the cavendish in 965. I would say this is better than a comparable McClelland; not sharp or harsh, retaining a spicy tang element as one signature component.

A quality tobacco that begs to be repeatedly tasted in short, rapid puffs. This elicits the qualities of a fine tobacco: soft balance of a cavendish, creamy, velvety, gentle sweetness, vaguely smoky.

As an aside, if you are concerned about the tin description advertising, I wouldn't associate this good pipe tobacco to any aspect of a cigar.

In the starting blocks, it displays the prospects of a sharp, tangy VA, but soon settles into a splendid, multi-faceted experience: cool, dry, and clean.

Aroma: a soft, medium-strength tobacco, not at all, vaguely musty, with perhaps a chocolate complexion. Nothing pungent, harsh, or strong about it, I would list it as mild to medium in all aspects, the epitome of ephemeral and eternal.
Feb 29, 2008 Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
Somebody on this page commented on this tobacco as being "like Presbyterian Mixture without the plum taste". They were spot on and to be congratulated, it was the plum note in PM which stopped that tobacco becoming my number one regular smoke. Red Rapparee from Rattray's is the answer to my long search. I have always liked English mixtures, Dunhill 965 was always my regular smoke, until that is, it became unavailable here in the UK. I have tried most of the other Rattray's offerings and find most of them very even tempered, nothing to write home about buy OK. RR is all together different.

This is an update- I read reviews on 7 Reserve Medium and as you will note RR has the same constituents as 7 Reserve but 7 Reserve is blended for the all day smoker. I have tried 7 Reserve in the past but although agreeable and mild mannered it lacked something- the solution- blend it 60% 7 Reserve 40% RR. Perfect an all day smoke with a little more oomph. With regard to tongue bite, yes it can bite a bit if smoked thoughtlessly but given due respect I noted no bite, also good room note and decent outdoor performance- very highly recommended
Feb 22, 2008 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
If you like strong tobacco that burns hot, fast, and dry, then this is for you. The moisture content right out of the tin was extremely low, and the superfine cut means no matter how you pack it this stuff burns like tobacco dust -- make sure you've got some serious cake in your pipe, or you're going to be tasting wood.

If, on the other hand, you prefer a long, slow, leisurely smoke that's not going to kick you in the seat of your pants, then this stuff is so NOT for you.

Good flavour -- fruity at the top, malty and sweet at the bottom. But the burn characteristics and the strengths make this a one-star tobacco for me.

target="_blank"