Rattray Hal O' the Wynd

(3.38)
"A pure Virginian tobacco of a most unusual share of strength". This is a strong, sharp aged red Virginia blend that will perk you up quickly. New tin description: "Hal O' The Wynd" is an unusually strong Virginia-based mixture. Fire-cured Kentucky is added to a base of a variety of Virginias and Perique completes this mixture. It is then pressed and finally rubbed by hand.
Notes: The booklet inside the tin says "A full-bodied Virginia tobacco with a slight sweetness and extremely pleasant smoking characteristics. The name comes from that of the armourer in the novel "The Fair Maid of Perth" - a man who had "a most unusual share of strength". In the German decription is written: "und einem Hauch wurzigem Perique" that means: "and a touch of spicy Perique".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.38 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 141 - 150 of 152 Reviews
Mar 10, 2006 Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant
After reading all the **** reviews I just had to get me some of this. I'm glad I did. I've learned to smoke this in a small bowl (my preference for this particular weed). The descriptions by the other reviewers are right on. This is a remarkably mild tasting tabac compared to it's strength. It's easy to get caught off guard with this one. Smoke it slow and easy and don't stand up too fast! You just might catch a left-hook! WOW!
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Jan 31, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
January 2006.

Hal and I,have begun what I'm sure will be a very long friendship.So far,I have loved all the Rattray virginia's on offer.

Upon opening the tin I removed enough tobacco to fill two pipe bowl's,then let it sit on a sheet of paper for ten to fifteen minate's before,packing and lighting my pipe.

As the flame from lighter touched this superb blend I knew immediately,that I was in for a real treat. It was a little stronger than I first expected,but not in anyway overwhelming at all.It is absolutely delicious and only required a second light,and a few tamp's to have a wonderful smoking journey right through to bowl's end.It leave's a very nice grey white ash,with no goop at all.

Just as well that I removed enough tobacco for that second bowl,honestly,I could hardly wait to re-pack,and light up again,and when I did I was in no-way let down at all.

Hal,definitely stand's up in it's own right amongst the very best of the red virginia's that I have tried so far,with Hal earning the #1 ranking so far!

I can't wait to order many more tin's of Hal,so I can not only enjoy it when it arrives,but also age a few tin's as well.

Hal,is a definite winner in my home.

More,than very highly recommended.
Dec 18, 2005 Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Something was lost when this was no longer 'blended by' the gifted Scott, but this still is a fine treatment of Virginia tobac and for me, the cornerstone of the Rattray line. Sweet and full, it taught me to smoke it on the verge of the pipe going out. In truth, I'm always with a tin of this open, with at least a couple in reserve. One can lasted ten years before being opened and made a memory of lasting gratitude to a man I've never met. I most likely would have let it age longer but it started to eat it's way out of the can. Pity that I did not put more aside to journey thru time. Still, the newer 'blended for' is worth the coin and the time. If you've not tried this one yet, then you're in for a wonderful example of how good Virginia's really can be...

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Canadian Smooth
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Sep 07, 2005 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This blend is what awakened my love for Virginias. It is an excellent and beautiful example of what Virginia tobacco can and should do in a blend. It is smooth, full, slightly peppery and unspoiled. I would very highly recommend it.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Jun 26, 2005 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
One of the best virginia blends I've ever smoked. It smokes cool, slow and is full of tobacco flavor. 4 out of 4 solid stars.
Jun 21, 2005 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
One of the very best virginia blends to come down the pike. It smokes cool and slow. Every puff is full of tobacco flavor. I would give it 10 stars if I could.
Feb 24, 2005 Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
HOTW is the other great VA from Rattray. Quite strong, rich, spicy, with concentrated flavor that seems like the essence of the red VA leaf. A top favorite VA flake.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Jan 19, 2005 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
My daily smoke, Great straight VA, subtle sweetness, good strength. burns well, fine aftertaste. With age should be fantanstic.
Nov 15, 2004 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant
HOTW is very good to me, it has a natural sweetness that plays well with the earthy characteristics of the smoke. This blend responds very well to the DGT. I believe that it enhances the flavors of this blend.
Sep 02, 2004 Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable
This is a full-bodied smoke that has a depth that is kept from being too heavy by its tanginess. Like many Virginias, it has a citrus quality to it that might be like a blood-orange compared to its lighter, more refreshing cousin, the navel orange. The flavor evolves from being too sharp at the to slowly gaining a depth and richness that ripens throughout the bowl. If smoked too quickly it can be a bit bitter and burn hot, so it is a tobacco that needs attention. The care needed, combined with its complexity, keep it from being an everyday smoke for me, but I will definitely keep a tin around for when the mood strikes. It has a subtle sweetness combined with a fullness of body and a nicotine kick that is unusual in a straight Virginia. Overall: A-, weekly smoke, pleasant aroma.

target="_blank"