Rattray Hal O' the Wynd

(3.38)
"A pure Virginian tobacco of a most unusual share of strength". This is a strong, sharp aged red Virginia blend that will perk you up quickly. New tin description: "Hal O' The Wynd" is an unusually strong Virginia-based mixture. Fire-cured Kentucky is added to a base of a variety of Virginias and Perique completes this mixture. It is then pressed and finally rubbed by hand.
Notes: The booklet inside the tin says "A full-bodied Virginia tobacco with a slight sweetness and extremely pleasant smoking characteristics. The name comes from that of the armourer in the novel "The Fair Maid of Perth" - a man who had "a most unusual share of strength". In the German decription is written: "und einem Hauch wurzigem Perique" that means: "and a touch of spicy Perique".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.38 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 131 - 140 of 152 Reviews
Nov 18, 2008 Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
After 2 tins of HOTW, I can confirm (to myself) that this is the most complete pipe tobacco that I have smoked. Several Months ago I bought FULL VIRGINIA FLAKE, STONEHAVEN,LONG GOLDEN FLAKE, BEST BROWN and some more blends (from the most reviewed and top ranked in this web), and after smoking them daily, MY PREFERENCE (without doubts)is HOTW.

Full Virginia Flake and Stoneheven are also very good but I don't still enjoy smoking them because of their humidity. They have been packed in a jar to get old and fermentation in the drawer.

Five Stars for HOTW!
Sep 10, 2008 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Fantastic smoke. Ribbon cut ( I prefer flake). Great virginia taste. I usually smoke this or SG FVF. Can not say enough good things about this blend. As with all virginias smoke it slow or it will bite you, but if you are smoking it fast enough to bite you are not getting the full flavor of this blend. Let some age you will not regret it.
Aug 21, 2008 Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant
I told myself i would not review this tobbaco because it would be redundant! So many good reviews ! Well deserved too. If they were bringing Vincenzo to the firing squad today and asked him for his last smoke preference Hal O the Wynd In anypipe would be the request! I would not even sweat till I was finished. Thats today gentleman and I will keep searching for better Va! With the dollar weak or euro strong either way it's high! if you like Va"s get some vincenzo ! If your in front of a firing squad get as much as you can ! The state pays !
Jan 23, 2008 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant
My favorite Virginia was McClelland Blackwoods Flake. Now it's this. I let a tin age for a year before I opened it, and when I did it was like the skies opening. Gotta taste to believe, Virginias are so great, I don't know why I smoke anything else sometimes. But I won't give up the burleys that's for sure. Anyway, what's the point waggin my fingers over the keys when so much has been said already. Here I am participating in mob mentality I guess. I need to try an obscure tobacco that is great sometime.
Jun 18, 2007 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Well, everyone is allowed their opinion, right? I wrote that to me, Escudo is a holy grail of VaPers, and few would disagree. So now I'll say that HOTW is now added to my list of the very best. When I bought my first Hal, I wasn't much of a VA lover, but the years have changed me. I think I've tried most of the VA's on the market, newer blends and older classics. Some are fine, but I always come back to HOTW. It's my #1 favorite VA, no question. So consistent, packs like a dream, moisture content is excellent out of the can. It cellars magnificently, it's rich, somewhat complex, full-flavored, and a touch strong, but not overpowering. If I was only allowed one VA blend for the rest of my life, this would be it. Four full stars for me.
Apr 05, 2007 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
I ordered a tin of HOTW on the strength of the recommendations here.

I'm used to stoved VA flake, so it was something of a departure to see the bright colored quasi-flake. The tin aroma is lovely - sharp and tangy enough to make your mouth water, with that not-unpleasant metallic overtone that I've come to associate with a freshly opened package of quality cigarettes. The usual vinegary ketchup McClelland odor is thankfully all but nonexistent.

Much too moist out of the tin, but still smokeable without too many problems. It's best dried out for a few days. The semi-rubbed out texture is great because it can just be stuffed into a pipe without having to break up the flake. The first few puffs are a bit reminiscent of the honey casing on MacBaren, but after the first few minutes, this disappears and you are left with a good straightforward Virginia taste. The room note is sweet and enjoyable. It burns well and rarely requires a relight. Potential for tongue bite is moderate, but seems to be tamer than most of what McClelland sells. The last quarter of the pipe tends to turn a bit harsh and loses some flavor.

The nicotine content is slightly greater than I am used to. After a large bowl of this stuff, I am not always completely steady on my feet.

While HOTW doesn't really have a lot of subtle flavor interplay, there are times when this is exactly what I want. I bought eight ounces of Stonehaven at the same time, and I am already halfway through my tin of HOTW. I am definitely going to be stocking up on this wonderful blend.
Feb 22, 2007 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Just go get some.

Trust me.

OK, OK. A few more details. This is like a slightly milder version of Scottish Cake by McConnell's - and no wonder, it's blended by the same folks (K&K Co). I don't notice much of a nicotine whomp, I mean, it's there, but I've been smoking it out of pretty big bowls and I haven't needed to take a break. I could actually see this as a solid,robust all day smoke... maybe a little too robust for that. Still... that said, while I can see myself smoking this all the time, I wouldn't be against a more robust version flavor-wise (let's see how many times I can slip the word "robust" in here). But then it would be somewhat harder to smoke bowl after bowl after bowl of, so that's such a minor quibble. It beats Old Gowrie in my book, which is also a very solid blend, so that's saying something as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy!

...

robust.
Oct 14, 2006 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
After trying, and liking, Old Gowrie and Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, I decided to try Hal O' The Wind. I wasn't prepared for this delicious blend. From the reviews, I expected Hal O' The Wind to be a strong blend, and maybe not to my liking. What a surprise. I found HOTW to be a mild to medium strength, flavorful blend. This great blend burned clean and dry with no tongue bite, but beware, hasty puffing could possibly lead to "cinder tongue". A good blend for a change of pace smoke for the Latakia lover. Highly recommended to any Virginia smoker.
Sep 04, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
The deep red gold color and the tin aroma of dried apricot and honey tell you right off the bat that this is all Virginia. Perfect ribbon cut that packs well.

This is a fairly full-bodied Virginia with flavors of dried apricot, nuts and a balsamic vinegar sharpness. It burns slowly and must be smoked slowly ? excessive puffing will bite you back. The flavor evolves through the bowl, picking up hints of cinnamon and black coffee as you reach the finish line. The room aroma is rich and pleasant. The burn was slow, and required frequent attention, leaving a medium gray ash with a bit of moisture at the bottom of the bowl.

Overall this was a very rich and pleasant smoke (that produced a slight but noticeable nicotine buzz). In my limited experience with Virginias, this is far and away my favorite
Mar 13, 2006 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Anyway you slice it, HOTW is a masterpiece, probably the quintessential red Virginia. It's sweet, tangy, citrusy, and full bodied. I recommend you let this air for a while after you open the tin. The perfect blend to end the day completely satisfied. Highly recommended for Virginia tobacco lovers who want something full-bodied, but still sweet and tangy.

target="_blank"