Rattray Hal O' the Wynd

(3.39)
"A pure Virginian tobacco of a most unusual share of strength". This is a strong, sharp aged red Virginia blend that will perk you up quickly. New tin description: "Hal O' The Wynd" is an unusually strong Virginia-based mixture. Fire-cured Kentucky is added to a base of a variety of Virginias and Perique completes this mixture. It is then pressed and finally rubbed by hand.
Notes: The booklet inside the tin says "A full-bodied Virginia tobacco with a slight sweetness and extremely pleasant smoking characteristics. The name comes from that of the armourer in the novel "The Fair Maid of Perth" - a man who had "a most unusual share of strength". In the German decription is written: "und einem Hauch wurzigem Perique" that means: "and a touch of spicy Perique".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.39 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 131 - 140 of 269 Reviews
Jul 27, 2010 Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I'm just about finished my first 100gram tin of this tobacco. I recieved a sample of this from a friend and after a few bowls decided that it's pretty nice stuff. It is written as having "an unusual share of strength and will quickly perk you up".

Ok, so I smoke on through and find that it is rather moist and being a VA sometimes they need to dry a bit for that VA Sweet to come through.

It did come through but still I haven't seen much strength like is written on the tin and in other reviews. Strength to me is a good nicotine hit. I didn't find it much here although there is some. For a novice piper it may be fine.

It is a nice cut but like I said before i find it better handling and smoking with some drying time, like 15-20 min under a desk lamp or just sit a pouchful out for a few good hours. Makes fo better lighting and smokeing as you won't have to relight it much. HOTW will try to bite if not careful so smoke 'er slowly. 'Breath Smoking' helps find a little sweetness in it too.

After about 3/4 of the way through the 100gm tin I started to feel like, Ah, it's really not all that, nothing to write home about. I'd suggest purchasing a 50gm tin once in a while at best. HOTW, bein's it's a stoved Red VA is in fact a little sharper that a regular bright VA. I'm not complaining just reviewing a tobacco. I do recommend it to one who smoke straight VA regularly for a pleasant change of pace just don't be looking for a much strength, its' a stoved Red VA that's all.

I'm giving it three Good stars because objectively speaking it's pretty a pretty good VA tobacco. I guess I was expecting something more like Haddo's Delight.
Jul 02, 2010 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I recently tried three of the Virginia blends (Marlin Flake, Hal O' The Wynd and Old Gowrie) from Rattray as they tend to get lumped together and I wanted to know what seperated them.

Definately the strongest of the three and (to my mind) the best.

To me this stuff smells like wet hay and malt extract in the tin and has a similar rich but subtle sweetness under the match. I could believe that it contains Kentucky leaf because of the strength and richness of the flavour, because of the slight spicy edge I could also buy that it's got some perique but the tin says not so I wont argue.

Smooth and tasty all the way down to the bottom of the bowl, gathering a little momentum towards the end. I always want to repack and relight as soon as I've finished a pipeful of Hal o' the Wynd just to make the pleasure continue but then I'm greedy, especially with really nice things!

Great tobacco. Will revisit regularly.
Apr 21, 2010 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
Not a bad virginia at all, prhaps the strongest of the trio, Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake and Hal O' The Wynd bringing up the rear. My main problem with this otherwise very fine tobacco, is that I can only get it to work if I let it air for 24 hours on a sheet of newspaper, put it back in the can, then leave it for a further month.

This seems to smooth it out for me as it can be a little steamy straight from the can with a mild tendency to try to bite.

However, having prepared accordingly, a smooth and tasty evening smoke for the summertime follows.
Apr 19, 2010 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Open tin smells like warm fig cookies in an old hay loft, perfectly rubbed flake packs well and burns great. Bowl starts with dry grass notes and light VA sweetness. Develops subtle but amazing complexity - hay and old lumber, raw grains, bread dough, pancake batter, sweet malt, hot buttered Cream of Wheat - the second half of the bowl mixes in saddle-soaped leather and whispers of spanish cedar that remind me of aged Dominican cigars.

Despite the description on this site, I don't think there is any Kentucky or Perique in there. I suspect the description on the tin is correct - full Red Virginia flake. This stuff has more than a little age on it already, but I imagine more age in the tin would make this stuff incredible.

I smoked a pipe-full with my favorite single-malt scotch “Highland Park” - 12 Year Old. The malt syrup, canned fruit, leather and cigar box flavors of the whisky complemented this tobacco brilliantly.
Dec 20, 2009 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
I have read reviews of this blend for some time now and have always meant to try it. The problem is that I have tried other Rattrays that I have not been all that fond of (accountants, dark fragrant, seven reserve) and really didn't want to get shaved for anoher handful of dollars to be let down again.

Well, my nature got the best of me and I plunked down another $14 to get a can of HOTW. Man, am I glad I did. This stuff is amazing! If all the Rattrays were this good, I would have tried it long before now.

A little drying time is necessary fo me, but after that it's off to the races. This is one you will get the most out of by smoking it slowly and sipping the bowl. I will not even try to describe the flavors as it is impossible. Suffice it to say that I have found what I believe to be one of the all time best va blends out there.

This gets 5 stars!!
Aug 24, 2009 Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable
The last 4 months or so I have been breaking in a Savinelli Virginia KS using this blend, and it just keeps getting better and better (both pipe and tobacco). The VA is outstanding, sweet and cool, and the KY lends strength and spiciness to the mixture, and you end up with a full, round and sweet smoke. Can't really say I pick up on the perique, but it may very well be in there somewhere.

Fresh out of the tin it is rather moist and do benefit from some airing, most certainly there is humectant involved, but never the less, it burns quite well and doesn't cause any difficulty keeping lit. It does however improve a great deal after being opened a month or so.

All in all this is an excellent medium-strength mixture with a good nicotine hit, very satisfying, but not tiring to the palate, even after a big bowl. I can't imagine tonguebite being an issue for anyone smoking this. It's remarkably cool. A solid 3/4.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Jul 25, 2009 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
HOTW is the only virginian by Rattray which I had the way to taste before the K&K era. I'm happy to say that the current K&K's is as pleasant as the older was.

The 100grms can (inner strap and plastic lid) is the packaging available in Italy.

The smell at the open tin is wonderful: fruity/sweet&sour. The cut is a medium-fine ready rubbed; unlike the EM of the same brand, which are largely wet, the tobacco was ready to smoke for the very opening. The colour of the weed is a mix of mostly medium brown with occasional lighter and darker flecks.

A old Castello Old Antiquari KKKK straight apple having a narrow chamber has been very easily filled and lighted.

HOTW smokes cool and dry, robust - I truly cannot share the opinion that it's strong or more, those reviewers should try Irish Flake instead... - and substantial; fruity and somewhat earthy sometimes; always sweet, sometime faintly sour; biscuity and peppery to the nostrils; the palate is pleasantly tickled from mid bowl.

I'm feeling a very rewarding smoke, and wondering why I have been far from HOTW so long (some five years or more from the last can). It has all the features I may ask to a Virginian.

My highest recomendation.
Jul 21, 2009 Extremely Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This tabacco is just to strong. It leaves a accid feeling in my throad and nose. I cant immagine an enjoyable way of smoking, to not have the depicted feeling. Maybe take a puff and puff out as fast as you can. Or ruin your throad and not feel it anymore. Sorry I have contradict to the good rewies that made me buying Hal O'the whynd. I thing all of that comes from the RED FIRED Virgina, so watch out for that one. Best Regards
Jun 22, 2009 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable
This is my virginia benchmark.There is nothing more to say than 4 stars. The only thing is - take your time and don´t start pipe smoking with this fine tobacco, because it is a bit nasty as it comes out of the tin a bit wet, but it smells so good-a bowl has to be loaded once you crack the lid, i preferably load my pipes with the franks method, this is a perfet tobacco to get used to this method. I would recommend it to the experienced and the non aromatic smoker guild.
Jun 22, 2009 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
Upon opening the tin one encounters a wonderful bouquet of sweet and earthy aromas that range from wood, to honey, passing through raisins, dried figs and dried grass in a summerfield.

Upon ignition the bouquet becomes more smoky emitting sweet but also mildly bitter/truffle-like signs. This process increases toward the mid-end of the bowl and though doesnt overwhelm like other Virginia-Perique blends still manifests potency.

Thankfully the added tobaccos to the virginia basis (perique and/or kentucky?) do not alter the main grassy-sweet and deeply warm body of this blend but rather add a quirky bitterness that complicates this very good tobacco.

target="_blank"