Toasted black cavendish and golden Virginias have been selected as the foundation for a smooth pleasant cherry note.

BrandBrigadier Black
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
Blend TypeCavendish Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCherry
Packaging8 ounce tin
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste

2.2
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The grassy, citrusy Virginia is mildly noticeable. The sugary black cavendish is more so. The moderately tart cherry topping is a little subdued, and yet it sublimates the tobaccos at a fair extent. The strength is mild, while the taste is a step or two past that mark. Hardly has any nicotine. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a very consistent, mildly sweet flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasantly, lightly lingering tartly sweet after taste and room note. More of a two and a half star blend.

-JimInks

Gene J. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gene J. (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I ordered this tobacco was very disappointed. No cherry flavor and not much of a good Blk Cav taste at all. I now understand why you can not write a bad review of this tobacco on the P&C review. I would not order this again or any of the blends what have the Brigadere name..

6/27/16....I have smoked 3 to 4 more bowls of this blend and I am unable to find anything different except the after taste is bad. It tastes like something I can imagine but will not say. Some blends are made to be good smoking tobacco. Others are made cheaply to just make money.

Pipe Used: Comoy

Age When Smoked: 14 years old

Purchased From: ????????????

Similar Blends: Nothing I have smoked..

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

The Brigadier Black series, exclusive to pipesandcigars.com, caught my eye because of the names...Gettysburg, Antietam, Waterloo etc. I'm a bit of a military history fan; as good a reason as any to try a new blend.

I grabbed a tin of Antietam to start with. the description lists it as a flake, which it is not. It's mostly ribbons of VA and toasted black Cavendish with a few large chunks here and there. When opening the tin you're greeted with the expected delicious cherry aroma and also some vanilla. Vanilla isn't listed as one of the toppings but it's coming from somewhere. The tobacco is ready to go out of the tin, at least mine was. It isn't too fussy about how you pack it. It takes fire easily and you'll get to the bottom of the bowl with minimal relights.

The tobacco flavor is front and center in this blend. Grassy sweetness from the Virginias. The cherry flavor, so obvious in the tin is a bit hard to detect on smoking, at least for me. It's there, but quite subdued; I'd like it to be a little more forward. Still, if you want a cherry aromatic that doesn't ghost your pipe and turn it into a gluey, sticky mess, Antietam is worth a look. It's good. I'd give it 2.5 stars if I could. A little more cherry flavor and it'd be 3 stars easily.

Pipe Used: cobs, briars, meers

Age When Smoked: Tin fresh

Aquinas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aquinas (12)

A mixture of large flakes. Needs to be aired briefly after opening. Quite mild and no complaints on room note. Seems to leave a slight aftertaste but burns cool.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Just received

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

PurdueGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PurdueGuy (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I do enjoy this blend and would like to give it 4 stars but the confusing thing about the blend is it’s description on pipesandcigars. It says it’s black cavendish and the picture looks that way. The tobacco I got looks like a mixture of burley, Virginia and black cavendish. Because of the somewhat misleading description, I’m giving it 3 stars because it smokes well and I do like it but it does make me wonder if I’ll get the same thing if I ordered it again.

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog “The Army” pear pipe