Notes: Sutliff's match of Lane's Crown Achievement before it was discontinued (though it has since been re-released and discontinued again). A high-quality, medium to full English mixture.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Blend TypeBalkan
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Here is my review for the original: The Virginia is grassy and naturally sweet, and is the base for the other components to play off. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woodsy with a touch of sweetness, and prominent in every puff without drowning out the other tobaccos. It’s well supported by the woody, and slight sweet and sour notes from the Orientals/Turkish, which also provides some body as well as depth to the blend. There’s a very slight sweet note that I can’t identify with the ingredients, which indicates a topping of some sort. The perique is a minor player, with a little plum and only a hint of spice. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns as a reasonable rate (especially considering how dry the tobacco is) with a consistent medium taste, no harsh or dull spots, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. Needs an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Slightly creamy, it produces lots of smoke when you puff, though excessive puffing reduces the nuance of flavors. Darn near an all day English smoke if you so choose.

I could almost write the same review for the Match. The differences are that the Match is a shade sweeter and is creamier with a degree less of the Oriental/Turkish sour woodiness. The Match is a little richer in flavor, but not a stronger English. It took me quite a bit of time to figure out the differences between these two because they are very close to being the same tobacco. I rated the original at three stars.

-JimInks

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (279)

The year was 2002. I had been smoking a pipe (legally) for about 5 years. I had stuck with the basic Captain Black aromatics, some Carter hall, Half and Half and Union Leader. I high school buddy was the manager of a little shop in town called Tobacco Road. They had a few lane and Altadis blends, including Crown achievement. I remember the first time I opened the huge jar and inhaled. How repulsive I thought! Who seriously would smoke this!?

Oh, how naive was I back then. little did I know English/Balkans and mainly Latakia would become my mainstay.

Lets dive into this Crown Achievement match, shall we?

Pouch aroma smells very similar, but i remember the original having slightly more Latakia aroma. The cut of the match is quite different as well. The original was even thin ribbons. This is fat and chunky.

Loads well, lighting only takes a few matches if you rub out those chunks.

I wish I smoked more of the original. The flavors of the match seemed close to what I remember. Smoky, chewy and salty. Earthy, woody and slightly spicy undertones. The right amount of sweetness from the Virginia rounds out the full spectrum of the Balkan flavor wheel. Not overly complex, but has enough flavor to keep it interesting down to the the bottom of the bowl. I wish I ordered more than 2oz of this now that I'm down to the last of it. I see a pound or 3 in my future! A solid 4 star Balkan blend that won't break the bank.

Pipe Used: several