Sutliff Sweet Virginia is a delight for Virginia fans. This is a broken flake that burns well, and the chunky cut keeps it from getting overly hot as long as you don't puff furiously. Notes of hay, grass, citrus, and honey are all noticeable in this pleasantly straightforward blend of flue-cured tobaccos.

Notes: Bright Virginia tobaccos pressed and tumbled out, naturally sweet.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Manufactured BySutliff
Strength
Extremely Mild, Very Mild
Taste
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

The Virginia provides a bit of tart and tangy citrus, grass/hay, and is slightly floral and woody. A sweet topping is present. Maybe it's sugar, but I detect a very slight honey note, too, which may be from the tobacco or not. Has little nicotine. The strength and taste levels are mild. A very uncomplicated product that burns a little fast, and needs to be sipped to avoid potential harshness or bite. The flavor is very consistent all the way through. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a short lived, pleasant after taste, and room note. An all day work and play Va. that doesn't require much thought. Can be used as a mixer, too. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

StevieB (1947)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Sweet Virginia (707).

A coarse, medium brown, mixture that includes a few yellow pieces. The pouch doesn't smell particularly sweet, it gives a straightforward grass and hay Virginia note. This was from Cup O' Joes and the bigger pouch they use to package loose blends usually ensures correct hydration. Sometimes it's a bit dry, but I rarely get a damp blend.

I enjoy the smoke, Sweet Virginia's a fitting name. The tobacco has a mellow Virginia flavour, with lots of hay and a touch of sharpness; I get more of a mild hay flavour than caustic citrus. I suspect a sweet casing may have been used, the sweetness has a little more fervour than I'd expect to emanate naturally; either that, or it's one hell of a sweet Virginia. It can burn a little warm, and give a me spot of tongue bite if it isn't approached gently. But, I don't mind that, I just smoke it in an applicable manner.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: pleasant.

Sweet Virginia? A good blend that deserves a recommendation:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Atinok Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (19)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I've been smoking this for most of the last 12 months...sometimes as a mix, but more and more as a solo early morning or late evening smoke. I get a grassy, new-mown hay and fig bag note, but the figgy taste disappears when smoked. Here in NW Arkansas, especially at this time of year...mid summer... when the smell of fresh baled hay fills the air, this is a good compliment. It's definitely uncomplicated, with just a simple flavor, but without any citrus that I can detect. Occasionally, I'll drop in the smallest pinch of black cav for a tiny bit of vanilla, and just drift away with it. It was a bit warm when it first arrived, but a year in a mason jar seems to have caused the heat to ebb to just a pleasant warmth, although I always sip it from a cob, with either coffee or an evening drink. No other flavors noted. It's just tobacco, but pleasant as an every-day choice. Might be just shy of three stars, but I'll rate it there, because I keep coming back to it when others are either too sweet, or just too heavy for our mostly year-round mild weather.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and aged in a jar

Purchased From: P&C

Bruck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bruck (27)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm not normally a fan of straight VAs, but this one is really nice - just a little natural sweetness, but none of the "sharpness" that I normally get from VAs. Burned well; no relights required throughout the bowl, and vitamin N is subtle.

Pipe Used: Meer-lined Dr. Grabow

Purchased From: BOTL Trade

anglocatholicpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anglocatholicpiper (26)

I'm surprised this doesn't have more reviews. I've had this jarred for over a year now. Looking at other reviews I agree, it's simple; but by no means is that a negative characteristic. It's very, very pleasant. It's not goopy sweet. On first puff I thought it might remind me of MacBaren's Virginia No.1. But it's not. It stands on its own. I really like it. I don't get the bite mentioned by others, but then again I've found tongue bite to be so random... If you like simple, sweet, Virginia tobaccos in broken flake form, absolutely try this.

Pipe Used: Savinelli (with wood filter)

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (181)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet VA #707 has a jar note that is hay out front with a very definite note of honey following behind that with a hint of citrus way in the background. The smoke has notes of hay/grass and a hint of citrus. The note of honey is fuller than what I would think could come from a straight uncased VA. The smoke itself is quite mild. If you are not an experienced VA smoker you might get caught thinking the the smoke is thin and be tempted to puff harder to get more smoke. This will be rewarded with tongue bite. The VA's here and the honey top note have too much sugar to push. Slow sips are the key. You will get a very tangy note on the initial light and in all subsequent relights but that fades away very quickly and you should not push this tobacco to find it. It needs several relights anyway so just enjoy that as it comes. No noticeable nic hit. The room note is pleasant and most others tolerated it without complaint. It never tasted cigarette like or turned ashy. This is slightly above average, I would put it at 2.5 stars but I enjoy other lighter VA's much more than this. For my palate I prefer Sutliff's 507-C, G, H, & Co.'s Bright CR Flake, and their Broken Scotch Cake.

Seanv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seanv (25)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Bulk. A bit moist so I dried it a bit. Bag notes of hay and sweet sugar. I get a bit of earth and citrus also. I like to rub it out a bit before packing. Initial notes of creamy coffee, bread and sugar. Some hay and some citrus develop. The mild sweetness stays usually until mid bowl. I recommend a small bowl for this as the flavours can get a bit muddled towards the end of a large bowl. Slow to moderate cadence is required to avoid tongue bite. Mild nic hit. This is an easy smoking virginia. Very pleasant and very recommended.

Pipe Used: various briars

Black phoenix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black phoenix (2)

Great taste as described,but it has a very very nasty bite..Is too good to resist,maybe I'll try more and take it easier...I love the taste too much to give up.i like it better than Virgina #1 and golden sliced.if I had to put them in order I would say Sutliff: 707 Sweet Virginia :1 Golden sliced 2nd and Virginia#1 3rd

Pipe Used: Scotte briar

Age When Smoked: 1 week ( not enough)

J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (57)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet Virginia, this ready rubbed imparts a light taste of honey, sweet hay, and a slightly bready taste that lingers on the palate. An uncomplicated, all day Virginia that does best when puffed with a moderate cadence. I find this blend very enjoyable and have some stowed away for aging. Definitely recommended. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: Less than a year

initials SG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
initials SG (29)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Sweet, woodsy brights. Surprisingly good. No flavoring or tangy weirdness, as far as I can tell all they used is sugar. Just fine for smoking on its own if you like bright virginia tobacco.

Room note is popular with non-smokers. I have had nothing but compliments, typically something like "that smells sooooo good!" etc.

Burns hot and may bite if pushed, as one might expect, but that is the only downside to it.