Peterson Irish Cask

(2.92)
A rich blend of cavendish, Zimbabwean, orange Virginia, Thailand burley & black perique, matured in oak sherry barrels. New Tin Description (Irish Cask): A blend of Virginia leaves from Eastern Carolina, Malawi and Brazil is mixed with a dark brown Cavendish tobacco.
Notes: Previously know as Irish Oak.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.92 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 161 - 170 of 253 Reviews
Sep 08, 2019 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable
the first quarter is tasty, grassy mild Virginia, a little sweetness from the cavendish, a little taste of perique, I didn't get anything other than this flavor, I couldn't detect any sherry or alcohol, as much as i continue puffing the perique taste getting bold and overpowering the others and I don't like it much. totally it's a good blend and if you like perique I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it so much.
Pipe Used: Stanwell Shape 15
Age When Smoked: 3 years old
Jan 19, 2017 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
A nice blend that changes flavor profile for me as I smoke the bowl down. Easy to pack, about the right moisture right out of the tin. Spicy with a straight Tobacco flavor. Burns well with few relights.

Starts out light with a grassy Virginia profile, and progresses to a fuller flavor as the burley kicks in. An enjoyable smoke.
Pipe Used: Peterson, dunhill, cob, and a few others.
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars
Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin
Dec 02, 2016 Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I don't taste the sherry that much. Would not call this an aromatic. I would just say its a really good Virginia Perique. The nic hit is decent. It's a little damp upon opening and can be somewhat difficult to pack. Otherwise, a good blend overall.
Sep 16, 2016 Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
The smell as I opened the tin was very promising. The tobacco is packed tight and I had to flake it from the tin, but that made packing the pipe easy. A light tamp and it lit easily with a smooth draw. Initially this is a smooth, light tobacco that develops the oak and sherry notes at about the half-bowl level. I enjoy the room note, which is not strong enough to be objectionable even in my car, but is pleasing. When enjoyed, there is a lot to explore with this blend.
Pipe Used: Grabow Freehand
PurchasedFrom: Jack's Smoke Shop
Age When Smoked: <1 year
Apr 25, 2016 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
The tin note reminds me of date bread with a sweet cloying fruit essence. The golden Virginians lead the symphony of flavors in this blend, with the perique adding a lovely spiciness on the backdraft and the darker Cavendish mellowing the rough edges to a fine sweetness of fruity Virginia perfection. A very subtle hint of Sherry and oak compliments the whole with it's cloying flavor for a beautiful nuance on the blend. This is a novel VaPer that excells at being more with the addition of the sweet Scottish Cavendish and light topping of Sherry. The blend comes a tad moist, however is quite easily dried to the smokers preference. Cut is excellent and provides a pleasing smoke. A beautifully blended tobacco well worth giving a go. Cheers.
Pipe Used: Peterson's Calabash and German Black Clay
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars
Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin
Apr 02, 2016 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Rich oaky smoke for wisky and cognat lovers. Person who seeks quality smokes and are familiar with flavors, this Is worth to try. Good weekend tobacco. And a long time friend for sure.
Pipe Used: Savinelli 2614 (Dry System)
Jan 14, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This tobacco is somewhat different to other varieties that I have recently indulged in, whilst others have been a myriad of flavoursome surprises, none have quite matched up to this.

I am not saying that this is my favourite blend, I am saying it has been the most pleasantly surprising, and the most dramatic blend. The reason why is simple: upon opening the tin I was met with a fairly average smell, my curiosity was dampened, of course - but as they say, don't judge a book by its cover. I think perhaps upon packing my Rallye 17 the tobacco was a shade on the moist side, as it did not take instantly, but after a few charring lights it seemed well away.

The first thing I notice is the flavour is weak, but in a good way, I could sense immaturity with a potential for future greatness. Concerns arose as the tobacco seemed to be burning hotter than usual, but I simply put this down to the moderately damp tobacco, and continued on.

The bowl begins in the same way as the first movement of a great classical symphony. The exposition is the first direction taken, I am happy enough to be met by rich Virginia tobacco, with an air of sweetness somewhere deep and inexplicable. The exposition is repeated, staying true to the musical form, and I enjoy another round of dark sweetness. The first modulation comes in the form of the development, the notes modulate from Virginia sweetness to a great and unrivalled spice, the tobacco seems to be burning hotter here, but this does nothing but compliment the exquisite spice in all its magnificence! The experience races along, I am quite simply transfixed! Next comes the recapitulation, and what an experience it is. As the deep undertones of sweetness precede like a tonic base, and the spices race away burning with heat above all else, I am struck by a sweet and rich sherry that forces me to snap out of my deepest thoughts and consider only what I had experienced.

The multiplicity of flavours leads to an exquisite blend of surprise, high notes, low notes and a sweet, yet smoke, mid section.

If you have not tried this tobacco, pick a pipe with a medium to large bowl, persist, and prepare to realise just what you have been missing! It is entirely recommended, I will smoke it again, but perhaps not today, I have had quite enough excitement for one day!
Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Rallye 17 Half Bent
PurchasedFrom: John Hollingworths Tobacconist Birmingham GB
Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin
Aug 17, 2015 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
Irish Oak....well the tin note is tangy,grassy,earthy with some nutty aroma from that Thailand burley.Nice ribbon cut...easy to pack,lite and smoke.Some might like their tobacco drier as it is in a tin but I like moist tobacco and this blend has it just about right. After 2nd light,grassy hay like Virginias with some sweetness from Sherry barrels and little twist from Burley....half a bowl and the good old Perique comes in with burley leaving the floral note to the background. Nice complex blend..not a tradional Va/Per but nice...I have smoked 3 tins already and I have 3 left and after those I*m get few more. For those who seek change fro more traditional Va/Pers a must By.
Pipe Used: Stanwell,Savi,Brebbia,
PurchasedFrom: Gift from client
Age When Smoked: 1 month
May 23, 2015 Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a very unique pipe tobacco. The Brazilian tobaccos really add an interesting zing to the flavor. Upon lighting up the bowl I got nice peppery hay-like taste one would usually find in a classic Va/Per followed by a pleasant, nutty, citrusy taste. Definitely one of Peterson's better blends.
Pipe Used: Bent Peterson Spigot
Mar 19, 2015 Strong Mild Full Pleasant
Upon opening the tin, I smell VA right off the bat. Distinct meadow, grassy aroma, with a pleasant rich sweetness. Moisture level is just right out of the tin. The ribbons are easy to pack. Lights easily. Initial flavor is VA, with a slight Perique taste. The cavendish is noticable, but not distracting. It quickly develops a woody, leathery flavor, in a good way. The other flavors remain through the rest of the bowl, but the leathery flavor dominates to the end. Nicotine content is on the stronger side, but quite tolerable for any regular pipe smoker. I'd compare this to Elizabethan Mixture, but with sweeter, more enjoyable flavor. Age improves this tobacco quite a bit. I like it enough to always keep a jar of it on the shelf. I'd give it 3.5 stars.
Pipe Used: Briar, cob