Peterson Irish Cask

(2.92)
A rich blend of cavendish, Zimbabwean, orange Virginia, Thailand burley & black perique, matured in oak sherry barrels. New Tin Description (Irish Cask): A blend of Virginia leaves from Eastern Carolina, Malawi and Brazil is mixed with a dark brown Cavendish tobacco.
Notes: Previously know as Irish Oak.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.92 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 141 - 150 of 253 Reviews
Jan 17, 2008 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
This will put hair on your chest!....don't fear ladies, it's just an expression. This blend has put me in the enviable position of needing another new pipe(darn) as it really shouldn't be allowed to play with others. I'd describe this as a full bodied, slightly rustic smoke. Upon opening the tin I think of woodsy earthen smells, like damp moss, old pine needles under foot, and a distant fire in a fireplace. When first opened new you can find more of the sherry cask conditioning on the nose than later. It is not especially finicky about what you smoke it in, but a larger bowl and healthy filling to the top does help it become more complex. Big, unhindered tobacco flavors are what come up on the palate, along with faint wood or peat smoke, and just a hint of far away citrus and the oaky goodness of a fine aged sherry. I guess that means they got the name right.

This stuff does its best work when allowed to condition a pipe to this and only this blend. I have not had it smoke too hot, or have a tendency to gurgle at me, but it can bite if you get too excited and try to suck it down like a big gulp from 7-11.

If you like robust tobaccos, with out lots that oriental bite, give this one a shot. Also goes well with Dalmore Cigar Malt Scotch.

August 2014 update: Still a unique, well made, finely balanced blend. But now that I revisit it with many more blends under my belt, I wonder if I will come back again after this tin. Not for any fault of this blends flavor(wonderful), aroma(rich and cloying), and quality(top notch). But more for the fact that after being away from the vitamin N intentionally for a couple years, I find it leaving me tired and physically worn out after a big bowl full. Maybe my tolerance is flagging, or maybe this batch is more sodden with ol' nic than what I had previously, but I need to move the strength up to "strong"
Oct 30, 2007 Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant
I don't know what this is, but I love it. This makes a good all day smoke.
Aug 23, 2007 Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
I was pleasantly surprised to find this was a "natural" tobacco and not some cased goop. To me, this is perhaps what an old time tobacco would have tasted like. The perique adds a nice peppery/spicey element and the African/Asian tobaccos give it quite a unique flavor and aroma. There is nothing that is prominent about the Oak Sherry casks but it may lend to some of the slight acidity of this blend. I really like perique and added an additional .25 ounces which really got things going. I can definitely feel the nicotine in this blend but I dont think this tastes anything like cigarettes, maybe a little like some fuller bodied cigars though. The tin aroma was nice...raisins/figs, or some other non-citrus dried fruit...no casing here. This is NOT a fruity tasting baccy...just so you know. This is a great blend and could be used as a blending base with which one can get creative. This isn't an overly complex blend but it is relaxing in its strength that gathers as the bowl burns. Very nice burn. Lots of smoke after just a little drying time.
May 30, 2007 Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable
The only bit which I do not care for about this blend is the smell which one gets upon opening the tin. However, once one gets past that, it is quite an enjoyable smoke. Better suited for a walk, or a park bench than an easy chair at home. The room note I like. However, other non smokers are not of the same mind as I. So this blend is reserved for walks in the surrounding areas, and is quite happy there. One other thing I should add. If one buys this, they should also get some mints. The after taste is quite horrid, if you let it sit in your mouth for the length of a day.
Aug 24, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
I don't smoke this often and am currently out of stock. But I usually buy this this when I see it. It is like no other blend I've smoked. Don't let the description of contents, with cavendish and burley, mislead you. This is a full flavored, well rounded tobacco. The addition of perique was a great choice.

So, what's the taste like? Well, there is and Orientalishness to Irish Oak, even if there are no Orientals in it. It's in the high end of the flavor spectrum, though not sweet. Reading the reviews likening this to cigarettes, well, I don't see that connection. Nor is it a typical VaPer. It is unique. So unique, there are really no good comparisons to make. It is spicey and somehow yellow tasing. If that's not good enough, try it yourself. Be warned, the perique sneeks up as the bowl burns down. Good stuff, Peterson.
Aug 04, 2006 Medium Mild Medium Tolerable
This is one of two oferrings I have tried from Petersons, the other being Old Dublin. Although they are two different types of blends, this one blows Old Dublin out of the water. And this is not because I do not like Englishes. In fact, the only reason this doesn't reach a 4 is because it lacks latakia's richness.

That said, this is a great tobacco. I won't even bother talking about the mechanics... it lights well and smokes cool, usually with only a few relights at most. What I enjoy most is the flavor. There is such a great interplay of tastes that enter and leave, and although I am not experienced enough yet to distinguish all the tobaccos separately, I can say that they all work together well. There are rich, nutty flavors, and deeper undertones, accompanied by an occasional sweetness and spiciness... very satisfying. When first lit there is an alcohol-like flavor, but nothing too strong, and it goes away quickly, or else plays some beneficial part in the flavor as the bowl progresses. It goes GREAT with any darker drink, especially coffee. I smoked this in the morning and found it perked me up without knocking me out... the perfect amount of nicotine. Therefore I could see it as an all day type of smoke... mild enough without a bad aftertaste so that other tobaccos could be enjoyed. Even with the last little bits in the bowl very dried, I lit it up and the flavor was still there, lacking the subtlety of a fresh tin but making up for it in richness and strength.

I will be buying more of this soon to balance out my routine. 3.5 of 4 stars

UPDATE 8/14/09

After a long smoking hiatus, I opened this to find it had dried out significantly. My fear is that room temps have degraded this tobacco, but I haven't had the same problem with other tobaccos. The tin can just keeps rotating when twisted, though I may have opened it too hastily when I bought it, damaging the can. I smoked it out of a new corn cob, so my impressions concerning taste should be accurate, though it burns hot when this dry. The perique stung my nose and by the bottom of the bowl it was somewhat "musty" and "tangy." I'm lowering my rating because there are far more "tasty" tobaccos out there. Went well with a cup of yerba mate which even out the harsher flavors. Will attempt to rehydrate using pease's method.

8/16/09

Rehydrated very well but found what seems to be a piece of plastic cut in ribbon form in the tin. Really hesitant to smoke this anymore. Losing patience with this tobacco.

Smoking the properly and slightly rehydrated bowl of Irish Oak, I find it "chemically" and "airy" flavored as a I did Old Dublin. Don't know what happened. I don't think anything happened to the tin. I think it's a combination changing taste and low quality finally making itself known to me. Started to get somewhat interesting mid to 3/4 of the way down but with an added bite and musty flavor, then went out. Thin smoke. I wanted to try other Peterson's and give them another chance, but now I am not so sure.

At some point you have to be honest with yourself: There is nothing otherworldly or too intriguing about this tobacco, so why spend your time and money on it when there are so many others that are?
May 21, 2006 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant
I find Irish Oak to be more than just an enjoyable tobacco. From charring light to the last puff, Irish Oak is pure ambrosia (IMHO). I received my first tin of it earlier today, and will be ordering more. Irish Oak is the perfect moisture level for easy packing, and easy smoking. I experienced a cool smoking blend with no tongue bite at all. When I finished the bowl, I had a clean, dry pipe, and after a few minutes to cool down, loaded the same pipe up with more Irish Oak. This blend has made me search the reviews for more non-aromatic tobaccos that I might enjoy ( and I do smoke a lot of aromatics, or, at least, I did). I would recommend Irish Oak to the new pipe smoker, the aromatic lover looking for a non aromatic tobacco, and to the English blend lover for a change of pace smoke.
Jan 12, 2006 Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable
Opening the tin, a discreet smell of fermentation. Nice mix of ochre and brown ribbons, some black ones. The taste is complex and evolving in mouth and nose from neutral and cool to a full taste of sherry-like fermantation with spicy undertones. I appreciate the combination of these sensations. The aftertaste (wood/spice) is very good. A unique blend with quite some nicotine. Recommended, but not as an all-day smoke.... three and al half stars.

By this I also like to express my appreciation for the several tips I got via this website (like using the cutter (Pipestud) - the way of filling my pipe (by gravity and massaging; I no longer push the tobacco with the finger in the bowl and the effect is remarkable....)
Aug 31, 2005 Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable
This is a tin which has been in my basement for a number of years. The tobacco is quite moist and the paper cover is damp and stained. In the tin it has a faint, sweet aroma probably from the perique and cavendish. I allowed the tobacco to dry for about a half hour and then smoked two bowls back to back in pipes dedicated to Va./perique blends; it was that good. At the match it is sharp and tingly and awakens every sensor in the mouth. In the nose it zings like a strong Cuban cigar. Almost immediately it begins to settle down. This is spicey, almost peppery, and might just make a tyro's eyes water. It is quite warm on the tongue, but has no bite. This is a tobacco for those who like a strong, assertive tobacco with plenty of Va. tang and perique zip. I have always thought that whoever put this blend together knew exactly what he was doing. This is a tobacco for the experienced pipe smoker who enjoys Virginia and perique and occasionally likes to step right up to the edge. There is some sweetness, perhaps from the cavendish and it carries some very elusive, almost neutral flavor that complements the Virginia. I sense the burley more than taste it. Half way down the bowl the smoke becomes warm, flavorful, mellow and luscious but still mainains its spiciness. This blend puts me more in mind of Three Nuns rather than Escudo or Elizabethan Mixture which are my perique preferences. I regard this blend as a fine perique blend to be enjoyed occasionally rather than on a regular basis. Highly recommended. Paddy.
Apr 10, 2005 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
This is a very unique and appealing blend that is difficult to define and somewhat elusive in characteristic. It makes a refreshing change from heavy English blends and yet does not fall squarely into any particular camp, either latakia orientated or aromatic.

What typifies this blend for me is the strength of the Perique. I say strength in the sense that the underlying spiciness of this blend just gets stronger through the smoke. Rich and peppery, this is evocative of the great outdoors, maybe a windy autumnal night huddled around a campfire.

I really cannot distinguish many complicated flavours in this mixture other than a general woody saltiness underpinned by the peppery tones of the Perique. It gets very strong by the bottom of the bowl, and the smoker needs to take frequent breaks, but this mix is never harsh or sour no matter how hard it is smoked and I have yet to experience any tongue-bite from smoking in any of my pipes.

The contents of the tin were dryish and the aroma salty and elusive. The tobacco burns consistently, although I have found a tightly packed pipe to be particularly unforgiving with this blend. The tobacco burns right down to a light grey ash.

Overall this is a tobacco I can thoroughly recommend when the mood is right. I cannot imagine this ever becoming my "desert island" blend but it is a lovely change for the late afternoon or for a day when the air is chilly and the leaves are starting to lie on the ground.

target="_blank"