Peterson Irish Cask

(2.92)
A rich blend of cavendish, Zimbabwean, orange Virginia, Thailand burley & black perique, matured in oak sherry barrels. New Tin Description (Irish Cask): A blend of Virginia leaves from Eastern Carolina, Malawi and Brazil is mixed with a dark brown Cavendish tobacco.
Notes: Previously know as Irish Oak.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.92 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 131 - 140 of 253 Reviews
Dec 08, 2009 Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
The smell and the taste doesn't come instantly when you lit it. But later you begin to feel oak aromats and that begins to recall echoes of your ancessors voices, that worships ancient gods in the sacred groves. Actualy burns a little too hot, but with some efforts to keep your patience to puff slowly, you are rewarded with a nice taste. This tobacco is not for beginner for sure!
Aug 16, 2009 Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant
If you like VA/Per mixes you'll love this one. The nicotine level is high, right where I like it. When the bowl hits its sweet spot the tastes are complex and almost winey. Lights easily and stays lit. Perique can change Virginia into something etherial, but this mix is beyond words. Sip it else Mistress Nicotine kicks your butt (I kinda like when she does).
May 28, 2009 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I tried a tin of this for the first time today. So don't take my review as gospel. I'm in love! This is a very good tobacco and suits my bias for non-aromatics very well. The aroma is dreamy for non-aromatic followers, and a non-aromatic does not necessarily stink! Taste is quite satisfying. Strength is very good; you can feel it in your gut. Burns very dry and to a white powder all the way down. Does bite if stoked too harshly. This one is a winner. Oh, yea, baby. I'll be buying more of this.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
May 12, 2009 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is very good pipe tobacco. It is flavorful, very Virginian and an excellent smoke. One needs to be cautious, and sip this stuff, like most Virginians, it can bite. I really enjoyed it and will return to it often.
Mar 17, 2009 Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant
I definitely recommend Irish Oak to anyone looking for an aromatic tobacco that still retains its natural tobacco flavors. I absolutely love this one.
mo
Dec 31, 2008 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
11/28/2007UPDATE. I have decided to re-write my review on this blend that would include a comparison between the 'old' and 'new' tins.

Besides the obvious change to the label, as well as the fact that the label announces a different list of ingredients between new and old, the tobacco looks and smells different. The new blend is much lighter in colour and the smell is delicious.

The aroma coming from the tin reminded me of Escudo, a rich smell of ripe fruit and dark chocolate. My initial impressions were that this blend has evolved from what it was ( do not really know) into a classic Va/Per ( which we all LOVE)

I was very eager to try it and after about 5 hours of drying time on a baking sheet, decided to have a bowl. In a blind taste, i would have NEVER been able to identify this as IO. I then sealed the tobacco and after a brief rest in the tin of around 12 hours, had another bowl 5 minutes ago in a clean, well rested, picture perfect, straight grain Design Berlin bent apple with the most marvellous staight grain.

I find that this blend has really impressed me and have placed an order for 10 tins that i will be collecting later this afternoon from my tobacconist. The taste is a very delicious Virgina with a lovely Perique tang and the Cavendish providing a nice sweetness to the composition. I cannot help but comparing it to Escudo with a bit more Perique. The ribbon cut is perfect for loading and burn rate. This blend does NOT bite after it has been dried out.

This is all Va/Per and i applaud Peterson(?) for blending it. I do however feel that people who enjoyed the previous version will be seeking the origional version that was left in the Sherry Oaks to flavour(?) Pete should have named this differently because i find NO similarities between new and old.

As for the VitN content, it went from a 'strong' to a 'medium to strong' the only thing i am not happy about. There is a lot of Perique here but is buffered somewhat by the Cavendish.

I apologise for the very long review but i feel that a detailed comparison was not easy to come by on the internet and it was my responsibility to inform everyone.

I liked the old version. I LOVE the new one.

Mo, South Africa

Happy New Year to all the Pipers in the world
Dec 20, 2008 Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Virginia and Perique are always considered as great match and this blend is no exception,,yet the sweetness of cavendish give it a mild peterson touch which always have tendency to aromatics(except for old dublin)however its not overwhelming,, the tobacco is rich with perique and full bodied, it burns perfectly and have wounderful after taste,,for perique and full bodied blends, defiantly not to amuse your surroundings.
Nov 16, 2008 Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
This is the first blend from Peterson I have tried. When I opened the tin,(w/green lid) I was greeted with an eye opening aroma of prune/grape. The cut was rather thin, almost shag like. It appeared very moist, but dryed within a 1/2 hour. It packs great and lights and smokes with ease. I loved the taste, and room note it created was enjoyed by all who smelled it. The nicotine is fantastic due to the robust jolt that can be achieved. A very dry, cool smoke that will not bite, but will satisfy your needs. I would recomend it to those who are looking for a great and differant blend.
Aug 14, 2008 Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
great tobacco, strong but with a very good bite (the right kind).tastes somewhat like some vintage tobaccos from the 50's.i did not detect any 'mouth coating' or find much similarity to cigarettes.i would in no way call this an aromatic,if you did, what would you call haddo's (which i like),which has far more flavouring than this.a good blend for late at night,after your taste buds have been blunted by daytime smokes.
Feb 14, 2008 Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I picked this up at one of the few remaining old-fashioned real tobacconists in the UK. I am glad I did. What an enjoyable smoke!

The tin presentation is of good quality plain tobacco. The blend is complex but I found the tin aroma typical of a great Virginia - hay/earth/spice. Lots of promise.

I have not had any lighting/pacing problems with this. Starts up well and stays at my pace without any excessive heat or bite. The flavours are just great. Complex and slightly surprising as you stroll through the bowl. Predominantly Virginias, but the Perique pops up in the front with the Cavendish providing a smooth background. I do not notice the 'coats your mouth' experience of earlier reviews. This is surprisingly strong stuff. I can forget how strong it is as I dwell on the flavours. It is certainly a satisfying smoke.

A regular for me. 4 stars.

target="_blank"