Peterson Irish Cask

(2.92)
A rich blend of cavendish, Zimbabwean, orange Virginia, Thailand burley & black perique, matured in oak sherry barrels. New Tin Description (Irish Cask): A blend of Virginia leaves from Eastern Carolina, Malawi and Brazil is mixed with a dark brown Cavendish tobacco.
Notes: Previously know as Irish Oak.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.92 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 121 - 130 of 253 Reviews
Feb 08, 2011 Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable
Wonderful. Expected to be overwhelmed, but wasn't. Did feel the nicotine noticeably, but not unpleasantly (and I don't have a very strong head). The taste is very full, not completely smooth but not at all scratchy. It reminds me of the woods. Wilderness. The smell of timber and a sort of rugged communion with nature. Or lumberjacks. Definitely a favourite.
Jan 28, 2011 Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
This is a great smoke, but don't light it on an empty stomach! That is the best advice I can give in regards to this blend! It is a kicker when it comes to the nic hit, probably one of the highest nic content blends I've ever tried. With that said, I really enjoy the flavor of this blend, when I smoke it I feel like I'm smoking the pages out of an old paper back. You know that smell, don't tell me you don't. It is such a manly and old timey smoke, I just love the scent and the taste. It reminds me of what I'd imagine scrolls and old documents to smell like. Best enjoyed after a big meal with a glass of wine IMO. If your a seasoned smoker, give this one a shot, otherwise, may want to hold out till your ready for a good dose of nicotine.
Dec 22, 2010 Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong
Thats amazing tobacco. I smoke it for some years and it is never annoyed. For me at cold times it is often became everyday smoke. It is not aromatic at all. It have strong taste and aroma...mmm...like your are walking at summer forest. Burns well and cool, became spicy at the end. I recommend it after good dinner. And i doesnt find analog to this tobacco. It is uniqe.
Oct 18, 2010 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable
One of my favorite tobaccos. Great woodish taste,you can almost taste oak barrells in which it was curd. Just perfect.
Sep 23, 2010 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable
first time I tried irish oak, I was amazed. but that was before I tired some other perique containing offerings --minus burley-- . I'm not absolutely sure if it's the burley causing my distaste for Peterson's irish oak, or because if it tastes downright a cigar/cigarette-like blend. whatever it is I'm looking forward to finishing what's remaining so I can keep the empty tin as a reminder of "not to buy again". Anyhow I believe it's a decent blend with quality content for those who seek for some strength without any complexity but oak(y) flavor.
Aug 04, 2010 Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
I bought a tin of this back in 2006, smoked a few bowls, and jarred the rest.

I opened it back up last week and have had a few more bolw fulls of this, and I just don't think I care for it too much.

I am a nicotine wimp. If I break out into a sweat, get dizzy, and feel nauseas, then it is NOT a good experience!

That being said, I DO like some vitamin "N" and prefer a medium strength blend.

This tobacco is just too strong for me! I don't know if its the Burley or the Perique, but my oh my did this stuff hit me like a freight train!

Don't get me wrong:

This is high quality, well blended tobacco! As far as taste went, it was good, but nothing that made me yell with joy. It was easy to pack, aged well, and would probably please anyone looking for a good VaPer with a little extra fan out there.

Just not my cup of tea, but a good quality tobacco nonetheless.
May 25, 2010 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Oaky would be the main theme of this tobacco. Well balanced and pleasant I didn't find it strong all. Easy to smoke and friendly burning (no tongue bite at all).

Tips: Let it dry a little

It inspired me to make a mixture of my own, witch I call "Danish Pepper" = 3 parts WO Larsen Vintage Mixture + 1 Part Cornell&Diehl Bayou Night (let them mary for a while).
Apr 10, 2010 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Ok, first off I'll admit, the only reason I bought this blend was for the Perique. Now this is a blend I might say is a little too contradictory. The Cavendish is almost non-existant, the Zimbabwean, Orange, and Burley's would have made a fine Burley mixture on there own but Peterson decided to finish this off with the spicy robustness of Perique?!?! Don't get me wrong this is not a blend you toss away, nor is it too complex, I like complex blends. But something or other 'seemed' to be fighting eachother with this one, like salt and sugar. The Perique is supported by the small amount of Cavendish. Setting the two apart from the Burley and Zimbabwean which are fine bedfellows. The Oak flavour is slight but definately there, but also not really melding with the ingrediants. I will give this blend a good rating on the quality of the ingredients alone but it's as if you let a couple of children throw a bunch of highend ingrediants into an all-sorts barrel. My only suggestion is perhaps with age it will refine a little. This blend puffs the same in all my pipes. Upon rereading this I decided to get a pipefull going. The Burley is there, the Perique builds to a crescendo like ussual. But the Oak and the Cavendish don't really fit into the picture well. If you like Burley's but want a small taste war to be waged on your tongue then this might be just the thing for you.
Feb 28, 2010 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Upon opening the tin, one is greeted with a very plain tobacco aroma, very little else is notable in the nose, apart perhaps from a slight hay/straw aroma. The tobacco looks quite attractive, with the dark tobaccos dominating the image, complamented by pleasing streaks of bright yellow. The tobacco is slightly moist to the touch (as is usual), but despite this, packs well & burns easily. The smoke starts off as a fairly straight, plain smoke, which I think is probably what has led to reviews stating that it is redolent of cigarettes. As the bowl progresses, however, the spicy pepperiness of the Perique advances steadily to the forefront. The burn is steady & easy. Many have stated that this needs to be smoked slowly, but I think that as long as it is timed well enough to keep the perique in check, I noticed no need to slow down excessively. I smoked this in a vintage Peterson pot with the p-lip mouthpiece. The toabacco is by no means a masterpiece, but is a pleasant enough smoke. I find this suits a weekend morning, when no work needs to be done, after a leisurely breakfast. Tasty, with just enough bite to wake the senses without knocking one over with it's nicotine. The room note is fairly neutral, & not too heavy (although I do live in a house with cigarette smokers). I will definately keep some around & I am ageing some tins as well. Recommended for those looking for a middle of the road smoke with a little extra.
Jan 19, 2010 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
This is a terrific blend especially for Virginia lovers. it's gentle yet satisfying. The balance of different tobaccos and the wood aging just causes you to smile. It's 2010 try a can and you too can smile.

target="_blank"