Peterson Irish Cask

(2.92)
A rich blend of cavendish, Zimbabwean, orange Virginia, Thailand burley & black perique, matured in oak sherry barrels. New Tin Description (Irish Cask): A blend of Virginia leaves from Eastern Carolina, Malawi and Brazil is mixed with a dark brown Cavendish tobacco.
Notes: Previously know as Irish Oak.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.92 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 111 - 120 of 253 Reviews
Nov 03, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
This is outstanding. I am SO happy that I purchased this. Very smooth taste: slightly sweet, somewhat tangy, and the Perique is not over-the-top. The nic from this one is fairly stout. I smoke OJK, and this blend has at least as much nic as OJK. I would add that this blend is smoother than OJK. Sometimes I want smooth and sometimes I want a little "grit". This is for a smooth, nutty, tangy Nic-loaded smoke.

Tin moisture upon opening was actually perfect. Absolutely NO bite and no gurgling. I loved the taste. I loved the vitamin N. I will definitely keep this in stock.
Oct 19, 2011 Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable
I am new to pipe smoking. I bought this because of the name. The aroma upon opening the tin is a slight sour note. When smoked at first it seems very mild but then it burns the mouth not just the tongue but the top and sides with a peppery kind of burn. I do not get any flavouring from this tobacco. It does seem to give a kind of buzz of sorts...giving a boost of energy along with the sparks of pepper in the mouth. The burn lasts about an hour or a bit longer after smoking. I probably would not buy this again. I am going to try to age it a bit and come back to it. I can however see that it would be appealing to some. I however will be checking closely to make sure I go on more than just the name in future.
Oct 03, 2011 Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong
When I decided to move away from flavoured tobaccos and onto something stronger I chose Irish Oak because, to be frankly honest, I liked the name. So after a browse through some reviews I decided to part with a tenner and order a tin.

First impression when I opened the tin was something along the lines of "I think I should have gone for something less potent". The aroma from the tin however after the initial surprise was actually really enjoyable, strong but still enjoyable.

Smoking wise I found it a very full smoke; you can certainly taste the perique and it bites a little, not enough to cause discomfort but just enough to keep you on your toes which is something I enjoy about Irish Oak.

For me I find Irish Oak a great afternoon and evening smoke as it leaves one feeling most satisfied and very relaxed to the point of a slight light headedness.

Overall it's a great tobacco: strong but not overpowering and that cheeky little bit of bite to it.

I feel I shall be happily smoking this for a long time.
Sep 02, 2011 Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
To establish my credentials such as they are, I adore Nightcap and Condor so I am no stranger to strong tobaccos.

I bought this stuff on the back of favourable reviews on here and opened my tin, delivered today, with great anticipation. Great disappointment followed. No really discernible smell to the tobacco, just a generic mild tobacco aroma, maybe hay as others have said, and a slight sherry/cognac whiff.

On lighting the tobacco and exhaling it through my nose (I don't inhale) I immediately received a fizzing burning sensation in my nostrils, with no discernible taste whatsoever. None of the oaky/sherry nuances that others have described. The nasal fizzing overwhelmed every taste there might be. If this is Perique, it's not for me.

More of the same until my small bowl was emptied, half-unsmoked, 20 minutes later.

Undeterred, I took another bowlful out of the tin and set it aside to dry out. I returned to it 3 hours later having drunk a couple of pints of best bitter (which I find enhances my enjotment of tobacco) and tried again, with the same result. No nuances of sherry, and the oak I was getting might as well have been oak shavings. Horrible, rough, bad cigarette flavour.

Maybe that's what Perique lovers look for, but I'd be very surprised. I am about to re-align my tastebuds with a blast of Nightcap.

I will age this in the tin and see if it improves.

Update: Well, a fair time has passed since I first reviewed this 'baccy, and my opinion has changed favourably. I have decided that the secret to this stuff is to smoke it very gently and wait for the taste to show about 1/3 of the way down the bowl, when by taking small sips of smoke, rolling ot around your tongue and exhaling gently through the nose you can actually taste oak, and sherry and cognac hints.

I have this baccy reserved for occasions when I want a taste-blast after a couple of bowls of aromatic baccy (my usual being Erinmore Mixture with a pinch or two of a black cherry/vanilla shag incorporated as spice).

Uprated from one star to three.
Aug 26, 2011 Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
This is very, very nice tobacco perhaps too nice. I find I reach for this one way to often and I live in fear that one day I won't be able to get my hands on it. It has such a lovely balance of flavors with just a hint of tasty perique. The cavendish bring a dry sweet honey character all the way to the finish. I always get a whiff of Latakia strangely, though it isn't mentioned as an addition. I have wanted to review this for a long time but I was afraid I could never do this superb blend justice. I agree that it needs to be dry but then again I have never purchased an overly wet tin. Do yourself a great favor and buy this tobacco.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Aug 19, 2011 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is an unusually tobacco as I've noticed the mixed reviews. I think I know why. If you smoke this straight out of the tin then I was not impressed, simply because it seemed too mediocre and I can understand comparisons made to cigarette tobaccos - (cigarettes... I just don't enjoy anyway). However, I beg you to leave the tobacco in the tin to dry out and...wow! what a difference! You'd think smoking this completely dry would be like smoking hot coals, but not at all. The flavor is not so hay-like, more woody, rugged perhaps. So my love hate relationship has been borne through patience. I enjoy this from time to time and the strength of baccy is quite strong. Avoid if you're not tolerant of a strong tobacco kick. This is nice stuff then. I recommend - but try drying in the tin for while and I'm sure you'll get the enjoyment. Ideal to take on a country early evening outing with a good coffee or single malt.
Jun 11, 2011 Strong Medium Medium Strong
This is awesome, the way tobacco was meant to taste. Marked improvement in taste by smoking slower, tastes like the wilderness. The perique burns my nose, badly. Other than that, it's a winner. Pretty heavy on the nicotine, good first thing in the morning. Buy more.
May 19, 2011 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
Perfectly sorted tobaccos, great ratio, my general wine tasting baccy, with its genial woody-oaky taste i recommend it highly.
Apr 04, 2011 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
I have made a few different notes on this regular purchase on separate occasions and times apart,,i cant be bothered to edit them together and i copy them here as i wrote them;they more or less say the same thing ,and together give the total picture;it shows my tasting judgement was consistant each time..

1ST NOTES:

Colour evoked:the green on the tin says it all.

Mental scene:outside in the country,sun behind the bare trees,autumn season beginning,,;get the feel of a season and save it for autumn it really works!

Great outdoor smoke.

Better when left for a day before smoking,,;complimentary drink;"newcastle brown ale" or jack daniels on crushed ice.

Damp bracken tin aroma,,earthy,,natural,,bonfire jacket potato's,,,mildly of beadies(indian herbal cigarettes)

Aroma acceptable or tolerated,,but it is not offensive,,its just a dry pipe smell..

Dry,,,mature,,,cool,,,strengthy,,,oak smoked,,,potato and oakleaf,,,jack daniels,,,jacket potato skins,,,white pepper hint,,,starchy room note,,,bitter raw potato after taste(but not unpleasing),,,savoury,,dry burner,leaves no real dottle and you can smoke it till it self extinguishes.

2ND NOTES:

Irish oak 2nd tin;probably not on the shelf long as no stain to paper lid.. Not as aromasome as first tin,,almost odourless,,,-taste not as strong either..

Its basically there though and reminds me of cigarettes slightly..

Smoked in a clay this time instead of my briars to bring out more flavour;which it does..

Not my best smoke but definately worthy enough to be in my circulation.. (i ended up jarring this tin and returned to it later;it basically needs a bit of age or drying out time because although it smokes well strait out of the tin it is quite steamy like boiling potatos to make mash,,;drying it makes it more spicy and seasoned.)

3RD NOTES:

50g round tin with a really nice shade of green label on tin(couldn't think of a more complimentary colour to describe the vibes of the contents;oak leaf green)

Open Tin Apperance: Tan and dark brown ribbons.

Taste: Mainly like the seasoning on dry roasted peanuts and raw potato peel/new potato's/white peper,,sometimes i taste oakwood/leaves on an autumn fire,,,sometimes parmesan or smoked cheese,,or cheese buscuits(must be the oak smoked association creating illusions on my pallet,,,;it does not smell like cheese in the room note you will be pleased to know)

Room Note: mild,innofensive,,,neither a pleasure or displeasure,,neutral mild tobacco smoke,,peppery up the nose close up, but ok on the eyes.

Slightly cigarettish - closest comparison to cigarettes would be "lucky strike reds"

No sherry detected in flavour - - absolutely no fruit memory whatsoever,but there is perhaps a sensation on par with the aftertaste of swallowing a paracetamol(trying to find adjectives)if you have drank sherry you will know what i mean:its probably the corky oak of the barrel that this stuff is stored in adding its flavour actually..

Burns to a white grey ash with no real dottle..

Pipe used:6" georgian clay.

Only a ghost hint of sherry aroma like when you smell an empty glass that has had sherry in it the morning after the night before(smelt from a distance),,,if i did not know this had been in a sherry barrel,i would not think of even identifying this....

Oak is my favourite tree of beauty,,,;this conjours up youth memories of climbing trees and burning holes in leaves with a magnifying glass using the solar rays and smelling the aroma..

Quite a unique flavour for a non aromatic;i would compare this baccy to the beer equivalent of "newcastle brown ale",,;it has a starchy, earthy,mineral soil bitter bite which becomes an aquired taste(like tonic water)

Nicoteen hit is above medium but not strong(for me)and i could make this an alldayer...

It doesn't ruin my pallet if i stick with it;but like "newcastle brown ale"(alegorical comparison);making a transition from something else like an aromatic onto this requires a bit of patient reaquaintence time...

I buy this again because of its no nonsence personality factor.. Its neither soft in an aromatic sence or haughty and sophisticated like an english..(me talking shit and getting carried away with the pen in my hand;)Its a charge hand smoke"the gaffer";it knows its purpose,doesn't say much but what it says is to the point,,,"no bullshit"(i know that probably doesn't sound like a lot of peoples gaffers,so i will take that back and call it "self employed",,,;its a good unique stand alone blend)

Like rollup cigarettes you have to keep it busyish or it will need a relight,but it relights easy..(it doesn't have much sugar content to self combust)

PRO's: It doesn't seem too tarish on my pipe cleaners,so you can get a few bowls in before giving a swab..

No tongue bite;if left open for an hour to dry its perfect.. Consistant flavour through the tin and bowl..

UPDATE 04/06/2012. Recently i have aquired a selection of old nylon and aluminium vintage system pipes on ebay because i wanted to know if i could bring anymore taste out of my baccy collection beyond my previous standard clay pipe tobacco taste trials,which were to know what a good baccy is like in the first place beyond owning and commiting to more expensive pipes.

This next phase is really for fine tuning to bring out the best of what i consider to be already good baccies, and having a selection of pipes with varing diameter draught hole smoke tubes and certain gimmicks has really let me expore the capabilities and augment and diminish certain nuances.

I have just smoked this Irish Oak in a Duncan Delta aluminium shank pipe with a moisture trap, and a single exhaust port bowl(some of these bowls have 4 extra satelite holes).. For the first time i can actually taste the perique rather than just sence its peppery presence up my nose. I have been smoking some orlik bullseye recently to aquaint myself with a VaPer archetype,and also some Dunhill Night Cap which contains a pinch so i know what i am definately identifying.

A good smoke has just got better because a peviously hidden nuance has come out,i can taste a ketchup spirit sweet and sour plum factor which goes well with the already present salt and pepper within,and can also get a certain amount of the aged sherry barrel factor this time.

I still stand by my previous review comments because they are relevant to the pipe i was smoking at the time and i have found that the pipe is a real time contributive variable that determines what gets tasted in the final exhaust delivery in my mouth.

This Duncan Delta pipe has a 3mm draught tube in the stem which makes it wider than my tighter 6"inch clays and narrower and more concentrate than my regular saddle pot briar and it lets the perique show itself. The clay concentrates the bitter potato of the virginia/earthy burly so much that the perique was only felt but not actually tasted(it was ok in the clay and the taste was definately amplified compared to my first regular briar trials).

This is now a more balanced smoke and sits between the two draught diameters of my clay and saddle pot. It really goes to show whats hidden under your nose when swapping pipes around. I used to judge tobacco too early, and even some that i wrote off i have since re-explored with my new pipes to find that they were ok afterall and it was just that i was smoking out of an unsympathetic draught of pipe.Its definately a 50/50 always,and i recon as long as i get the pipe end sorted i will get better results even from mediocre rated baccies which makes them taste like better brands when smoked in an average or random selected but not necessarilly the most sympathetic pipe.

A three star tobacco has become a 3.5,i could and may give it a 4 in the future.
Feb 27, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant
All I can say is this tobacco reminds me of a fig newton cookie. Good in a big bowl sweet and I do detect an oak note which I enjoy. Good baccy all around.

target="_blank"