Peterson Irish Cask

(2.92)
A rich blend of cavendish, Zimbabwean, orange Virginia, Thailand burley & black perique, matured in oak sherry barrels. New Tin Description (Irish Cask): A blend of Virginia leaves from Eastern Carolina, Malawi and Brazil is mixed with a dark brown Cavendish tobacco.
Notes: Previously know as Irish Oak.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.92 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 101 - 110 of 253 Reviews
Aug 21, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Peterson is known for quality tobacco and this blend definitely does the brand justice. Vinegar and pepper greet the nasal passages upon opening the tin. It is a very user-friendly product as it packs, lights and stays lit easily. As I smoked through several bowls, I detected none of the flavor from the sherry casks; I did, however, taste cigarette. Frankly, I find the taste nauseating, but keep in mind I have never been a cigarette smoker. The nicotine is also a bit high for my liking, but to some it may be just right. I also find, as the bowl progresses, it begins to give me a slightly scratchy sensation in the back of my throat. Despite my experience over several bowls, I will purchase this product again, but I'll probaly cellar it for a year or two before opening. We must keep in mind our tastes change and aging may mellow the scratchiness it tends to produce in my throat. On the bright side, it smokes absolutely smooth and I would recommend this product to anyone transitioning from cigarettes to pipes or someone who enjoys both.
Dec 14, 2013 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
I picked up a 50g tin from my local B&M just to give it a try. This seems to be a middle of the road aromatic in taste and room note. Not a bad blend, just not something that strikes my fancy very hard. YMMV on this of course. I would say I recommend this at least to give it a go and see if it is for you.
Jul 31, 2013 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I can't give a review on consistency because I gave my tin of this to a friend for Christmas so I only smoked one bowl of this when I helped him "christen" it.

I must say though, it was perhaps one of the best smokes I ever had. I think it was the perique in this blend that did it for me. Not too strong but it added a pungency to it that made for a very interesting smoke.

I have since bought a tin of Haddo's Delight by G.L. Pease and while enjoyable, it seems to have too much perique for my taste.

If you want to try a blend with a bit of perique, I would highly recommend Irish Oak.
Mar 10, 2013 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I am new to the pipe but have been buying way too much tobacco lately, trying to see what is out there. Irish Oak has not disappointed me so far. Initial tin notes were a very sour fruit smell, along with some virginia sweetness. I felt that the tobacco came pretty dry, and it seemed to burn the fastest of all the other tobaccos I have tried. It was a nicely balanced mix overall, and definitely had some notes of wood while smoking. I did notice the burning sensation along the back and top of the mouth that some have described...I suppose the was the perique pepper taste? It was interesting but went away within minutes of stopping smoking, so I knew it wasn't the tobacco biting. I have two other blends that have perique in them but have not felt this same peppery burn in them. Aftertaste was rather pleasant as well, with notes of apple and wood. Overall I am happy with this blend, and being my first offering from Peterson, I hope to try more.
Jan 17, 2013 Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
Wanting to get a pure taste from this Peterson blend I smoked a bowl in a new corncob.. From the start it was a promising tobacco, the blend smelt nice, a wood / oak aroma and when lit didn't really change.. It was ok, fairly pleasant, but to be honest boring. With very little perique, a subtle monotone flavour (that doesn't really change), a very slight sweet flavour (I guessing naturally occurring from the Virginia's) and low nicotine, this blend wasn't anything special. This blend simply doesn't excite me and make me want to go any buy more, If offered it I'd say ok, but defiantly not going to purchase any more any time soon!
Apr 25, 2012 Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Reminds me very much of Dunhill's Royal Yacht which is a similarly nicotine-driven tobacco. The Perique in here doesn't play a big role; I suppose there is really just a pinch added. Not a bad tobacco at all, quite untouched, original flavour. Hard to say who will like it - maybe those who like Peterson's Irish Whiskey (depth) and Sherlock Holmes (purity), or aforementioned Royal Yacht (punch)
Jan 27, 2012 Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong
This was my first experience with perique, and I can't see myself becoming a perique guy. I didn't really like the smell from the tin.

Smoking it gave me spicy feel in my mouth, like eating pepper food. It also gave me a mild short lasting buzz.

I think I'm going to prefer the sweeter aromatics over this blend. I wouldn't recommend this to new pipe smokers. Maybe cig smokers might like it.

I'll probably finish the tin but only because it cost me 50 bucks.
Jan 11, 2012 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I think this is a very unique blend. I'm curently smoking only my second bowl, but it is great. Imagine a backbone of a vaper, then a little nuttiness from the burley. The virginia sweetness is always there, but not dominating. The perique lingers in the background, but is always noticeable. Then the odd oaky taste, which really is good.

The blend in the tin smells like sour fruits, not in an aromatic candy sort of way, but like real natural fruits.

honestly, the blend taste like vaper if you add the taste of the way a walk through damp, spring time woods smells. odd description, but great blend
Jan 11, 2012 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Subject to change, but this is currently my favorite smoke. Packs nicely, lights easily, burns evenly all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The flavors are subtle, but they are most definitely there. Took me two tins to fully appreciate this blend. Its not a sweet blend, but there is a sweetness to it. The best way for me to describe the sweetness is to imagine having a regular cup of tea then adding a spoonful of honey. The honey doesn't make the tea sweet, but you can detect the honey's sweetness. This is what I mean by it having a sweetness. I try to always have a couple of tins on hand and think this is a great smoke that can be enjoyed all day.
Nov 23, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Strange stuff…I smoked a couple of tins but I couldn't decide yet if it's one of my favorites or not, probably not. Sometimes I like it very much, sometimes I don't!

Opening the tin you can smell very weak aroma, mainly hay and dry grass, in background some sweet note of honey. You don't need to dry it out, coming out of the tin is ready to smoke.

It burns very easily, a bit too quickly in my opinion. The first puffs are almost without any taste; going through the bowl you can taste sweet VA and cavendish (both not so sweet in this case), peppery PE, wood and hay notes, with a good load of vitamin N.

Despite the number of tobaccos used in this blend it's a quite flat smoke, from the beginning to the end of the bowl, no surprise.

This is a very simple and sincere blend, not for the ones who love complex and round taste: no frills, only pure and monochromatic tobacco taste.

target="_blank"