Sutliff's match of John Middleton's Walnut blend. Walnut was a classic American-style English blend made of burley, Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Turkish and latakia. It dated back to the 1800s but recently vanished. The legacy of this all-day type of blend lives on with this Match.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

3.6

As many smokers know, Walnut is comprised of many different varieties of tobaccos. So is the Match. In it, I get a light taste of nutty, woody Kentucky, grassy, citrusy Virginia (it forms the base of the blend), some nuttiness and molasses from the burley in a support role, a touch of honey from the cavendish, a slight woody note from the Oriental/Turkish. The Cyprian latakia is a minor addition, but gives a very mild smokey, woody push to the other components. I know Maryland is in here, but I can’t taste it. The topping is mildly sweet. Overall, it has nice subtlety of flavors that meld well together for a mild to medium smoke. Burns at a reasonable pace, cool, clean and dry to the finish with a consistent flavor. Both have a mild nic-hit, and won't bite. Both leave little moisture in the bowl, and need an average number of relights. This has a little better after taste as there's nothing to distract what you taste. Both are all day smokes.

What’s the differences between the Match and the original? The original sometimes has a little chemical taste from the topping that the Match does not, and gets a little bitter near the end. The original is a shade sweeter, and a tiny bit nuttier, while the Match has just a smidgen more latakia. Otherwise, I can’t tell the difference.

I rated it at four stars even though I rated the original at three. As a Match, it's four stars for how close it is to the original.

-JimInks

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just superb. Nutty, spicy, sweet, earthy, smoky, and mildly fruity and sour. A little bit of everything making it very complex. I think my favorite part of this is the way the black pepper-like spiciness contrasts with the sweetness. I never tire of that. Really wish I could have tried the original. That must have been something.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. The spice gives it a little edge, otherwise very smooth. Burns great.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: http://wvsmokeshop.com/

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (16)

While I never had the pleasure of smoking the original Walnut... I can say I have enjoyed Walnut Match very much. The pouch note is natural and yes you can sense the walnut in the background. Packs well, lights well and offers a very good natural tobacco flavor again with a slight nutty flavor in the background. I enjoy this as my first pipe of the day and also is a good offering as the sun is going down. No bite... burns well to a nice ash in the bottom of the bowl. This one is in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega & MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (77)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

John Middleton’s Walnut was once one of my regular tobaccos. I usually enjoyed it in the morning, as it was tasty and easy to smoke. I was disappointed when it was discontinued. So how does the Sutliff version compare? Well, it’s similar and it's better.

The original was more like a drug store blend, with the vanilla-flavored cavendish in the foreground most of the time and all of the other leafs playing, at most. a supporting role. One would only occasionally taste the Virginias and burleys, and only very occasionally get a hint of Latakia. Sutliff Match Walnut, on the other hand, does a much better job of showcasing the other tobaccos. The cavendish is there alright, but the Virginias are much more noticeable, as are the burley and dark-fired Kentucky tobaccos. SMW is also sweeter, which I attribute to the use of higher quality cavendish and Virginia tobaccos. Another indication of the greater emphasis on the Virginias in SMW is a bit of citrus flavor and grassiness that I don’t recall ever tasting in John Middletons’s Walnut. On the negative side, the Latakia is a little less noticeable in SMW than it was in the John Middleton version -- I couldn't taste it at all.

I enjoyed the original Walnut mostly because it tasted good, was easy to smoke and was inexpensive. I like Sutliff Match Walnut better because it tastes even better, is just as easy to smoke and is equally economical. Kudos to Sutliff for bringing back a great old-time tobacco and doing it even better. Whether you’ve ever smoked John MIddleton’s Walnut or not, if you're in the market for a mild, sweet American take on an English style blend, I suggest you try Sutliff Match Walnut.

Pipe Used: Luciano briar

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Grayskwerl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grayskwerl (8)

Hats off to Carl McAllister for this fine blend. With all the different tobaccos in this, I have to imagine it wasn't easy to make. I can't understand why the original manufacturer stopped making this! I never had the original, so I can only talk about the match. It is medium-mild, in a good way. Understated, nuanced, and delicious. None of the many players in this blend really dominate, but all are present. Latakia is definitely a condiment here (good thing for this blend). For me, seems like a mild 'Scottish' at the top, then more 'burley-american' in the middle, then more oriental-kentucky-spice at the end (YMMV). Puffing cadence can be a taste-factor as well. Good through the whole bowl. Lights easy, just a few re-lights. I like the aroma. The balance is superb. Well done Carl, thank you! I can't compare to H&H Chestnut as I haven't had that yet (Hard to commit to a whole tub of something you may or may not like). I'll be ordering more of this. Can certainly be 'an all' day smoke.

Pipe Used: cob, briar

Purchased From: p&c

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (131)

Had this one adding for a good while, 5 years plus. Popped it open the other day to work on my last ounce or so, and man was I glad. Mixture of many components that work well together. Nutty, sweet, Smokey and a bit sour all rolled up in one. The main players for me are the burley and the Kentucky with the Virginia coming in third. The Latakia, and other orientals are only supporting cast members. The use of the Maryland simply tones down the whole mix and allows them to line up. Overall a fine tobacco. Will have more to age in a mason jar for sure.

Age When Smoked: Aged 5+ years

archaeodane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
archaeodane (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

To begin, I should say that I've never had a chance to try the original Middleton's Walnut. This review is just a review for this blend and not a comparison.

Sutliff's Match Walnut is an interesting blend to me. When I originally tried it about a year ago, it seemed to me that it had a fair, but definitely not a very high, latakia content. Recently I got more and have been smoking it regularly, but I don't taste much latakia at all; just a whisper of smokiness now and again let's me know it's there. When I first tried this blend, it was the first tobacco I had smoked in about a month with any latakia in it, so maybe my senses were keener from going without one of my favorite flavors for a while-- or maybe there was just more in it that time. Reading through the other reviews here, I'm inclined to think that the latakia content rises and falls with each batch Sutliff produces.

Now, what I do taste is the cavendish. Despite having many components, the cavendish really seems to take the lead. I've noticed this before with other Sutliff English/American blends, but it is more pronounced in this blend than in the others I've tried. That said, I don't think it's because the cavendish overpowers the other tobaccos. Instead, I'm inclined to think they're all working together very well to create a smooth, sweet, but simple smoke. Match Walnut is easy to smoke while you're busy working or reading, and I think that is really the best thing about it. It's pleasant enough that you won't forget about it, but unobtrusive enough that it won't distract you from whatever else it is you're doing. It's also become a go-to tobacco for when I'm in a contemplative mood and need something to keep my body busy with while I think through a problem or idea.

Match Walnut is low on nicotine, which is another thing that keeps it from being distracting; sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a nicotine buzz while I work. It has a mild taste that is sweet without being cloyingly sweet like some other cavendish-forward blends. I think there may be an additional sweetness topping added, but I couldn't say what it is. And the room note is "light" according to my wife (a current vaper and former cigarette smoker). Finally, it doesn't seem to ghost a pipe at all (which I was worried about after having other, similarly cavendish-forward blends do). Tastes great is all pipes, but I found it to be best in a cob, followed closely by briar.

All in all, I think very highly of this tobacco and would recommend it to anyone who wants a simple, unobtrusive, and pleasant blend to smoke while they go about their day-to-day business. A 3 star tobacco for me.

Pipe Used: Basket briar, MM Morgan cob, and a meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh from supplier

Wally Frank Collector Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wally Frank Collector (34)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was looking forward to trying Match Walnut, a old favorite OTC blend that has the following tobacco listed in the blend; American Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia. Should prove to be interesting.

Upon opening the package I was greeted by Nutty aroma with Light smoke and wood, slightly grassy and citrusy with a touch of fruitiness. The tobacco was a touch moist so I sat it on a paper towel for about an hour. This is a very, very long ribbon cut and I broke all the ribbons into smaller pieces and selected my Weber Shellbrooke with the lower, wider bowl for it would be the easiest for this type of cut. It took a bit to get this tobacco lit but once lit it burned along at a medium pace, with average amount of re-lights, with a very consistent flavor that saw very little of the flavors dancing and supplanting one another with only a couple exceptions. This burned down to a white ash, left a little bit of moisture, and had a pleasant to tolerable room note that was sweet with peppery overtones. Lots of ppl claim this doesnt bite but I found if pushed, especially at trying to get it lit it can do a very mild bite. It felt dry enough to smoke after a hour of sitting on paper towel. Perhaps another hour may have helped the lighting, During the smoke this left a slightly sweet, slightly tangy aftertaste that was then overcome with a mild peppery aftertaste that was not overwhelming and if you like pepper would be very pleasant. The smoke was medium and seemed to disappear quickly and not linger around like many other blends do. After the smoke was done the aftertaste for around a half hour was one mild sweetness and a slight tang. The pepper was there but faded quickly.

Upon lighting I was met by the main player a Nutty flavor which does indeed taste much like Walnut. In the background were all the different flavors of around equal strength with a pleasant slight smoky flavor with a light woody, slightly grass, a light tangy citrus, a touch of honey, a light touch of fruit, and a pleasant sweetness and a touch of pepper. However, once in a while the honey would strengthen and for a sip move into the second place of flavors. But, the pepper flavor would shortly share the spotlight with all the flavors each sip and then as the sip ended rush to the forefront almost but not quite drowning out all the other flavors. Now the pepper was mild but it just would dominate the end of the sip. These flavors stayed amazingly consistent to the end of the smoke which left a bit of moisture at the end. No bitter end or dropping off of flavors towards the end.

This is a very fine tobacco. I liked the flavors and the pepper would've been fine if it hadn't rushed in every sip at the end of the sip and dominated. Having stated this let me state I like pepper, just not too much and this for me personally was a bit too much. I do, however, have friends who would love this because they like more pepper than I do in all their selections. So, this is a fine blend that everyone should give a try for I can see why this is easily liked. I give this a 3.2 out of 4 stars. The pepper factor keeps it out of my rotation but I might partake once in a while for it is well put together and of fine quality.

Pipe Used: Weber Shellbrooke