A blend we have made up specially for smokers who have desired a rich, smooth, rum-cured tobacco. Its unique flavor and pleasant aroma have made it a favorite.

BrandPeretti
Blended ByL.J. Peretti
Manufactured ByL.J. Peretti
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley
FlavoringRum
CutCube
Strength
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium

There is a slight soapiness on the char light, but it mostly disappears after a few puffs. I imagine that comes from the rum topping, which is mild and fairly flavorful, and doesn't interfere much with the tobacco taste. There's a light spice note that comes either from the rum or a pinch of perique; I can't quite determine its origin. The burleys have a little molasses hit with some nuttiness, toast, wood and earth with a little cocoa. Some of that cocoa likely comes from a topping. The lightly sugary black cavendish helps tame potential rough and harsh spots. Smoking this, I get the sense of the good old fashioned OTC burleys from past days - not too sweet with enough burley flavor to please. It's similar in strength with a little less sweetness than Carter Hall, SWR, and Half&Half with some of the same sweet notes, and the amount of cocoa almost reminds me of Prince Albert. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. The strength is in the center of mild to medium, while the taste is a couple of steps past that mark. Burns cool and a little slow with a mostly consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke.

-JimInks

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (107)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

First off, let me say for the record, B-94 sank my battleship in 1989 and I have never been the same since.

This is an American burley based blend so lovers of burley will probably like it more than I do. I have really enjoyed whiskey-cured tobaccos but this rum cured blend is not doing it for me.

It smells a bit sweet in the bag. I am still giving the 2 oz I bought a chance but 6 bowls in, the rum flavor translates to a fine hint of soap after-taste for me.

Pipeologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeologist (22)

This is not Burley in your face as are many Piretti offerings.I get the slight rum hit at the commencement,but it ain’t a double Bacardi on the rocks.I have tried many Piretti Burleys.I like this one as it’s very easy to smoke.Not that much complexity,which,for me,makes a pleasant change,as mostly everything I smoke these days seems to have that much sought after quality about it.Good to have an easy going smoke in my rotation.No bite at all,just like a curry with no extra chillies.Tends to burn a tad fast,but,hey,I just use my largest pipe! Will buy again,next time I’m in Boston.

Pipe Used: Dunhill and cob

Age When Smoked: 66

Purchased From: Peretti

StogieBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StogieBear (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good burley blend that burns well and won’t bite. Peretti uses quality ingredients and it shows - their burley blends are a cut above the usual stuff that comes in small boxes.

My only complaint is with the flavors added - this has a rum note that’s good and also a bit of a floral character that’s like a very mild lakeland. I don’t know how that got in there, but in an otherwise subtle blend it’s not really what I’m looking for. This isn’t enough to keep me from recommending the blend, but if lakeland ruins your day, look to some other Peretti blend.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: LJ Peretti

buroak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
buroak (16)

The nuttiness of the Burley is the lead flavor, with just the barest earthy note. The added rum flavoring is very mild. I pick it up mostly as a sweetening, smoothing element, but it is noticeable. My experience with the soap flavor noted by other reviewers is most similar to JimInks's; all traces were gone before the first quarter of the bowl was smoked.

This blend packs and burns well, with fewer relights than my usual high average. I got no bite from this cool-burning tobacco. The strength in terms of nicotine content is mild. The taste is also mild. Despite its mildness this is not a boring smoke. I would describe it as pleasantly unobtrusive to the smoker (and bystanders). This is not a world-beater, but I do recommend it.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (24)

I had never been to Boston, but I had heard of Peretti's. Reviewed their tobacco selection online and made some notes. As a burley smoker, I knew I was going to enjoy my Peretti journey. Stuck my nose in every house burley and ending up trying 8 of them. 8 x 2 oz bags. My tastes are simple, I smoke SWR and Prince Albert. With the exception of two of the blends, I found most had too many additives, to my taste. B-94 & BPC made the cut. Light rum flavoring & burley....burns easy...two lights and you are off and cruising. The aroma received a nod from my spouse. Not overly perfumed, as some aromatics are. I could taste the sweetness of the burley. I finished the both bags while fly fishing in Vermont. Bottom line...this is good, not an all time favorite, but good...perfect when casting to a brown with a bamboo rod.

Pipe Used: Dunhill