Orlik Tobacco Company A/S Golden Sliced (Red Tin)

(3.33)
A blend of golden, fully ripe Virginia leaves from the traditional districts of the United States and a smidgen of perique. Natural sweetness and freshness with hints of citrus.
Notes: Previous edits to this blend have averred that a dispute exists whether or not Golden Sliced contains perique. It does. Please note that the website stglanepipe.com states on its Orlik page that certain of its blends (including Golden Sliced) contain "fully ripe Virginia and a little perique." Moderator.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.33 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 241 - 250 of 496 Reviews
Oct 19, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
A very straightforward flake with a rather simple and consistent flavor profile from first puff to last. Lightly sweet virginia hay, a bit of peppery spice, and subtle but bright citrus notes. The flake is of a perfect moisture and consistency to rub and smoke immediately. Very impressed with the effortless preparation needed. I am half through my first tin and at this point I am unsure if I will order again...not because I disliked it...but because there are so many others ahead of it on the list. Enjoyable...but nothing earth-shattering about this variety.
Oct 19, 2013 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
This flake really does it for me. It is cool and it is sweet. I taste hints of sweetened, baked bread. It is a reliable, no nonsense smoke.

Oct 16, 2013 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant
Just recieved the parcel today, smoked a pipe for the first time and I chose this blend to be my first tobacco. Having been a long time cigarette smoker , i find this blend to be too weak in nicotine as well as taste for me., The more i smoked this blend the more i want to light up a cigarette, however, although the taste and strength was not as strong as i thought, it was pleasant, and i can understand why other people may like it. Overall, I dont dislike it, its just too weak for me.
Sep 25, 2013 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Orlik Golden Sliced offers a lot to the Virginia lover. Has a natural sweetness and quality that appeals to a more seasoned, or mature pipe smoker, so sensitive tongues need not seek anything here. The quality presents itself initially by the flake. Check out the grain and variation in color. Not a super complex tobacco, but excellent at the one or two flavours that exemplify a good Virginia blend. It's like peppery tobacco! that's the only way of summing it up, and that's all it needs to be.

Update since original review is that I, like many, don't believe there is any perique in this blend. ( Why would they continue with the mis-print on the label?) It just doesn't have the perfumey aspect. I think that is a good thing. I was going to take my rating down a star because I haven't been reaching for it all that much lately, but ehh, I've got good memories!
Sep 20, 2013 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
Golden Sliced isn't a bad smoke. There isn't anything about it that I truly dislike, but there is nothing I find special about it either. I average one bowl per day so I want that bowl to count.

Updated 2014-04-03 I gave this another try and my opinion hasn't changed. I do however want to note that I tried this tobacco as a VaPer and truly enjoy Perique. If there is Perique in this at all, it's not enough to give me the flavor I so enjoy. I imagine this tobacco would be more appealing to the straight VA smokers.
Sep 16, 2013 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Orlik is a must for any Virginia lover. The flakes are beautiful with a light tin note. I feel it's necessary to let it dry for a bit once you rub it out to ensure a good burn. Once lit it has a great flavor. A small taste of hay but for me it had a very pleasant lemon flavor to the tobacco strong in the forefront. I enjoyed this tobacco very much and for the price it's hard to beat. Like other reviews, I didn't pick up any of the Perique but it's a good quality smoke regardless.

UPDATE:I watched a YouTube video that talked about there being a misprint on the Orlik tin. It was supposed to say Burley not Perique so I guess that would explain the lack of Perique in everybody's reviews. Just an FYI!
Aug 13, 2013 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant
I have to somewhat agree with the review stating that there may be no perique in this. I have been smoking it a while now and had it pegged as a VA with a small amount of burley. In fact, I'd have to say it is pretty obvious to most who smoke it without first looking at Orlik's description. I'm puzzled as to why they would first say it was Burley ... and now change it to perique ... unless it was for marketing purposes. For years, as I understand it, it was described as VA with a touch of burley. Interesting.

As to the tobacco, it is a pretty straight forward VA w a touch of Burley ... as far as I can tell. I did not detect any Perique though I did detect the smallest amount of flavoring which I suppose "could" be a truffle sort of aroma. Truthfully I believe it to be the VA and burley combo .. with a small amount of flavoring on the burley side. My tins are aged a min of two years and the tobacco burns near perfectly. Can't speak to fresh tins, but these flakes are not overly moist and burn right out of the tin. Fresh cut hay aroma with a touch of dried fruit, tiny bit of nuttiness, with the hint of pepper. No bite as far as I can tell, but again, my tins are aged. Combined with the price makes this tobacco a 3 star for sure. Recommend stocking up at current prices.
Jun 28, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I have only been smoking about a few months, this was my favorite at first because it was nice and the first I kept lit without any trouble. It burns quick and kinda hot, don't stoke it. After trying some plain Virginia's I realize I don't think I like the perique in this. It is quite sour and biting as the bowl goes on. I like it but I pry won't buy it again in favor of non perique blends. It could just be the blend though, I've tried plain Virginia's and found no sourness which is supposed to be periques thing so I assume its that. Could be wrong. Great value.
Jun 15, 2013 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
this has never, not even once, been disappointing. it's consistently great!

upon opening, there's a citrusy, damp hay-like aroma which is pleasant. the one long strip of flake looks great, too. the moisture level is perfect out of the tin (and pouch...)

rip off a piece, fold and stuff, light, tamp, light, enjoy!

the flavor is quite high-noted at the beginning, cvan be sharp if puffed too hard, but if smoked slowly, yhis is awesome. smoke slowly for full flavor range.

it gets citrusy, earthy, sweet, raisiny, plum-like at times, spicy, it's all there if smoked the right way. I love it and always will have some on hand!

tip: if you reserve a pipe for just OGS, it will be divine...
Jun 08, 2013 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant
Light enough to be an all day smoke, enough perique to keep it interesting for sure. More success rubbed out but good either way. My first foray into this type of primarily Virginian and I am very satisfied.

The reviews seem mostly accurate to me. Doesn't matter which pipe I use, it burns nice and cool, nice and slow and now I'm quite curious as to how the other flakes I've ordered will stand up to this one. Cus this one works quite well.

If I were a store owner and NooB came in asking for a bunch of aros, I'd say, "Ok, here are some aromatics for you, but you might want to give this one a shot." Seems like all newcomers to the Men of Briar start out this way; too many aromatics. I'm guilty. Now I don't ever go to an aromatic anymore and I'm going to go back and redo my aro reviews.

It is what it is and this all quite subjective. But Orlik, it seems to me, represents what pipe tobacco should be: pipe tobacco and NOT perfume.

Each bowl gets better and better. This one makes my top five. Might not be that way in a year from now but certainly worth keeping a few tins in the cellar.

target="_blank"