Orlik Tobacco Company A/S Dark Strong Kentucky

(3.26)
Virginias with dark fired Kentucky tobacco. Tobacco selection: Blending fine black cavendish with the irresistible qualities of Kentucky burley gives this flake a look, taste and feel uniquely its own.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.26 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 71 - 80 of 159 Reviews
Aug 01, 2020 Mild to Medium Strong Full Tolerable
3rdguy

Just finished my 1st full tin. It had 5 years and 5 months of age on it. I like the short flakes, makes it easy to prep by simply tearing it in half twice. Heavy licorice tin note and that note is present throughout the smoke. Lights pretty easily and once it is going no relights. Occasionally some gurgle but not to where I would find it distracting. Burns to a nice white ash. No bite but did leave me some coating on the tongue chemical wise every smoke.

After the first few bowls I did not really care for it but after staying with the entire tin for a week or so I can say it grew on me.I could see reaching for it at times because I knew what I was getting each bowl and it never wavered. I would call it a licorice then burley forward blend. Which is not a bad thing when I want to mix it up. A nice blend but I will not cellar it too hard.
Pipe Used: Cobs
Age When Smoked: Tin date of 2/10/2015
Aug 16, 2019 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
Gorgeously presented striped flakes that took several relights initially. Rubbing out and giving a brief dry time is all that was needed. The smell was dark fruit and spice which tasted much the same add molasses. The smoke is thick, fairly cool and with a pleasant mouthfeel. A little restraint was required as I did warm up the pipe excitingly puffing away on this. Everything came together well on this one and I will be buying more to both cellar and keep in the rotation.
Pipe Used: Ed Burke Cherrywood, Lanza Dublin
PurchasedFrom: P&C
Age When Smoked: Freshly opened
Jul 12, 2019 Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
When opening the tin, you are greeted with 3 neat stacks of nearly 2" long bacon-strip looking pieces of flake with dark edges and a bright Virginia center. The flakes are very hard to separate and like to break apart at the meeting of the VA's and the outer Dark Fired/Cavendish strips... often leaving you with Trident Gum sized pieces of either the edges or center of the flake. This is fine but a pain when trying to put some in a pouch etc. I found it easier to just rub out a whole stack at a time and put it in my pouch. The flakes rub out fairly easily.. not dissimilar to Golden Sliced.

I don't understand the reviews stating that this is all burley.. it most certainly is not as the description states as well as the bright yellow VA you can see in the center strip.

The tin note to me is of molasses, with a sour note given from the Virginias and a tang from the dark tobaccos as well. I get a very slight licorice note but not as much as molasses, and I have an inkling that the licorice note is actually from the cavendish and dark fired and that there is not an anise topping, (though there could be a slight one). The flakes are decently moist from the tin and can stand some age or dry time, though it's not 100% necessary.

When lighting you are hit with a sweetness you don't expect, and a mild smoke counter to the name "Strong". It has a piquant deliciousness that keeps you puffing away... it made me want to smoke it a bit too hard to be sure to take it slow. It smokes cool and has a pretty decently sweet room note, although not light due to the Kentucky. The flavor profile reminds me a lot of Mac Baren Stockton Roll Cake... which isn't available here in the US anymore. 🙁

I didn't have any problem keeping it lit and it doesn't get harsh at the bottom of the bowl, though it does lose a little bit of the sweetness found at the beginning. It can leave a bit of dottle if you don't dry it... but rubbing it out and letting it sit for 15-30 minutes or so does the trick. I will say I found it to work and taste best in a very small pipe... which belies the fact that it is not that strong in nicotine to me.

This is one that truly surprised me and I will certainly be buying more to cellar. I can only imagine it will improve over time. Like Golden Sliced, my wife didn't even complain of the room note.
Pipe Used: Petersons (System 317 was best!)
PurchasedFrom: received in trade!
Age When Smoked: direct from tin, broken up into pouch
Apr 13, 2019 Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I admit, I'm surprised how much I liked this. I find Dark Fired to be something best used in minute quantities, so a flake that purports to have a high percentage of it as a main ingredient gave me pause. But then again, I was leery of 35% perique in a blend, and that has become my all-time favorite (Chenet's Cake). Imagine my surprise when I opened the tin to find three very tidy stacks of scientifically-precise striped flakes and a tin note primarily of brown sugar and dark fruit, with just a hint of smoke. This characteristic carried over into the smoke, which was surprisingly quite sweet. Sweet enough that my brain said "There be a healthy dose of Cavendish in there". Checking here after the fact, it seems I was correct. The smoke is sweet, buttery, darkly fruity,and oy slightly Smoky. A true delight.
Pipe Used: Big Ben Pipo, Peterson 999
PurchasedFrom: S.G Roi Tobacconist (B&M)
Jan 19, 2019 Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
A
. Dark Strong Kentucky is among my top five favorite tobaccos. I had the misfortune, as I wanted to try it, to see it become discontinued back in 2005 before I could place an order for it. When it as reintroduced a few years back, I was extremely enthusiastic and quickly proceeded to acquire a reassuring quantity. I have not regretted this decision. DSK is visually pleasant. The molasses, brown sugar and licorice casings smell so good and promise nothing less than a delightful smoking experience. And delightful it is. The casings do not sublimate the tobacco taste and DSK offers a deep, rich and creamy smoke dominated by outstanding Burleys that make me crave, every time, for more. The nicotine level is just right (medium) and, surprisingly, it leaves no ghost in the tobacco chamber. DSK, once rubbed out, smokes easily and leaves a dry bowl. I do not see this tobacco discussed much on the forums and find it regrettable for it is, for all Burley lovers, a bucket list tobacco. You must try it!
Pipe Used: Various
Age When Smoked: 1 Y
Aug 08, 2018 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
The flakes were all fragmented into strips, but that made them easier to fold and stuff. Mild flavored tobaccos, mostly regular VAs and some Kentucky, Licorice and Molasses toppings almost equaling the mild blend. Also a mild (and fairly pleasant) smoke, but it does smell very nice. I think most would find this an easy-going blend; some might like it part of a regular rotation. For me, right on the borderline C+/B-. I'll likely smoke it again.
Pipe Used: meers, cobs, & a yellow-bole
PurchasedFrom: 4 noggins
May 16, 2017 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
My tin presented a rectangular cake like bar with the flakes layered oblong. Very nice and easy to separate the flakes. I took two rubbed them out and they loaded nicely. The tin note is appealing with a hint of sweetness. Not overpowering but pleasant. I did not get the iicorice as many have noted but there is a sweetness that may be a result of a mild topping. The topping does not hamper the natural flavor profile of the Virginia and burley leaf and I found the taste of the tobacco to be full and satisfying. It lit well and smoked nicely. Needed some relights toward the end of the bowl. I enjoyed the full bowl and look forward to the next. I do believe age would enhance the flavor profile but I cannot testify to that at this point. I will check back later and report any improvement. A nice tobacco at a reasonable price. Orlik continues to demonstrate quality and value with this fine blend.
Pipe Used: Castello bent billiard
PurchasedFrom: Cigars international
Age When Smoked: Freshly opened tin
Nov 03, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Aesthetically exquisite. Might as well call it Zebra or Ambidextrous flake. This is the tobacco that sold me the capacity of burley. Just when I thought it was English vs. Virginia, the tertium quid appears. Like discovering a third pro baseball league you didn't know about. Don't be deceived by the name - not too strong. This will remain the burley stand by for me, until I get a hold of some Old Joe Krantz to see if it can unseat this sure winner.
Pipe Used: Oom Paul
Jun 08, 2015 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
I am quite happy that this classic is back on the shelves. I had tried Heinrich's version and was not crazy about it as I find the black licorice casing was too present and the strenght of the tobacco mild to medium. Orlik presents us with, yes, some kind of black licorice casing, but I find it's more of molasses. I wasn't quite sure if there was really some DFK in there as I could not identify it by nose. But when I lit up, the molasses casing had a quasi burnt taste to it and that's when I realized the DFK is quite present. I believe there might be some Black CA as well, which softens the spicy, fired qualities of the DFK. The virginias bring an unsweetened, "breadish" taste that balance out the blend's sweetness. Lighting up is super easy and the tobacco burns beautifully well. The casing is present throughout but does not hinder on the tobacco taste, especially when the DFK kicks in. DSK is not a complex tobacco but it's never boring. What makes it fun lies in the fact that, from one pipeful to another its strenght will vary, depending on the proportion of DFK that ends up in the bowl. Nicotine is more than medium on average, and less than strong. So, medium strong. I would not tend to make this an everyday smoke. However, I would open a tin every couple months to enjoy with genuine pleasure. Overall it's a tobacco much different than what I'm used to smoke. And, having 9 tins in my cellar, I will buy more.

Pipe Used: Ashton Pebble Grain XX; Cygne
May 05, 2015 Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant
Love the smoky taste of this blend. I ordered five cans from Pipes and Cigars and will only smoke the first can to allow for cellaring. I love the aroma of this blend and enjoy the taste considerably.
Pipe Used: Dagner Holligan, Savinelli Second, Peterson x106