Orlik Tobacco Company A/S Dark Strong Kentucky

(3.26)
Virginias with dark fired Kentucky tobacco. Tobacco selection: Blending fine black cavendish with the irresistible qualities of Kentucky burley gives this flake a look, taste and feel uniquely its own.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.26 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 91 - 100 of 159 Reviews
Feb 10, 2004 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
I got my first bit of DSK from Mars as a sample and immediately fell in love. It is everything I could want in a tobacco. Full flavored yet mild, slightly sweet, and cool smoking. I've purchased several tins now and dedicated one pipe to it.

The tin aroma is very inviting (strong tobacco smell with hints of fig and raisn), and the tobacco is packaged in conveniently sized flakes. They are the same hight as the bowl I smoke DSK in, so I don't rub them out, just lay them in vertically until the pipe is full.

DSK burns cooly. The flavor is strong but not overwhelming. With a name like Dark Strong Kentucky, I was expecting something overwhelming, but it is a nice balanced smoke. IT has plenty of flavor to let you know it is there, but no bit. It is very smooth, almost creamy.
Jan 13, 2004 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Another positive review for Dark Strong Kentucky. I've worked my way through a whole tin, in all kinds of pipes. It's delicious.

Yes, it does have a fairly high dose of nicotine.

Smoke it slowly and you will be rewarded.
Jan 01, 2004 Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Outstanding five star Burley blend here! I haven't smoked this in a while because my tobacconist no longer carries it. But friends don't let the label on the tin scare you away from this most excellent blend. The burley is Kentucky's finest, Green River fire cured. It is laced with just enough Virginia to balance it out. Pressed into blocks and cut into thin strips, this is spicey BURLEY. Nicotene heaven, robust,a manly smoke,puts hair on your chest,spicey,nutty,mellow,good all the way to the bottom of the bowl.
Dec 03, 2003 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable
This is how a premium Burley blend should be! I find this blend to be rich and dark, just like I imagined when I first heard the name. The only flavoring I picked up on was a bit of sweetness that seemed to be added. This tobacco burned well and was slightly dry in the tin. There really isn't much else to say, It's very fullfilling when you're looking for something to satisfy after a hearty meal!
Oct 03, 2003 Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable
During my most recent trip home to Canada, a friend presented me with a Brigham pipe (Canadian made) and a tin of Dark Strong Kentucky. As we sat on his balcony, I decided to break in my new pipe with a bowl of my new tobacco. The pipe, by the way, is an incredible smoker that utilizes Brigham's surprisingly effective filter system. I received a wonderful surprise. The tobacco was incredible. This is everything its name implies. There is nothing subtle here, just a dark, rich, strong tobacco flavour. These irregular flakes smoke best when chopped finely. This tobacco then provides very interesting flavour variations, shifting from a hearty caramel to roasted coffee beans. Wonderful, wonderful tobacco that reminds me why I smoke a pipe.
Update, 3 October 2003 Dear Brethren of the Briar. I have just received great news. I will be starting a new job in Japan in mid-October. This comes after three very rocky months of upheaval. Of all the tobaccos I have on the shelf, which bowl will I reach for to celebrate? Why Dark Strong Kentucky, of course. Cheers to all.
Jul 22, 2003 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
I bought this tobacco on the recommendations of fellow pipe smokers.

At first I was a little leery of this tobacco from the name alone, opening the tin I noticed the two tone tobacco Flake with a mildness of fresh tobacco. I rubbed some of the tobacco out and packed it in my Bjarne Brandy Glass, the tobacco was a little moist, but not to the point I could not light it up. The first few drags were very strong but they began mellowing out as I smoked it towards the half way mark of the bowl. Towards the bottom of the bowl the tobacco was as good as it was after the first half on the bowl.

I was not over-powered by the harshness I was expecting to find with the Virginia tobacco, but found it to be a very pleasant smoke with no tongue bite. One could smoke this as an all day tobacco if they so desired

This will become one of my favorites to smoke
Jun 18, 2003 Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
This a very peculiar looking tobacco. It comes in a 100g tin consisting of small thin flakes, 1&1/2 x 3/4 inches in size, jumbled about. Half the flake is medium brown tobacco and half is dark tobacco. It smells like like a chocolate cake topped with vanilla and cherry cream. My first thought was, "Oh, oh, not one of these again. I can't put this stuff in a briar. Better get the corn cobs." The flake is nice and pliable, rubs easily into whatever form you would prefer to pack it. It lights quickly and burns nicely all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Thank goodness, very little of the casing comes through in the smoke. In fact, the smoke has a lightly sweetened Virginia and burley flavor. This is a good smoke if you appreciate burly. I am told the room note is a smooth vanilla with a chocolate edge. The burly has strength in that you get the strong burly sensation on the tongue, but you do not get the cheap burly taste. I continue to smoke this in corn cobs, although I do not think it would infest a pipe. Just not willing to take the chance. This should be enjoyed by the burly lover and as a very big step up for the aromatic lover. I would rank this right behind Sweet Vanilla Honeydew Flake. Recommended. Paddy.
Mar 20, 2003 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is probably my favorite tobacco. The layered slices look really cool, and it rubs out quite easily. It's got a nice full but not overwhelming flavor and aroma, toasty and caramel-like. It's not really all that powerful as far as I'm concerned, but it's not light at all.
Oct 02, 2002 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Dark Strong Kentucky is an interesting bird to look at. The flakes seems to be composed of half golden tobacco and half a dark tobacco. The taste of this tobacco changes if you don't try to keep equal proportions of the lighter and darker tobaccos in your rubbing.

DSK is a rich smoke and you think it is going to make you turn green when you start smoking it. Have no fear - I have never experienced turning green with this one thankfully. There is a certain cigar tobacco smell and taste with this tobacco, and leaves a simular room note. This tobacco is very full tasting and burns clean.
Jun 25, 2001 Strong Mild Full Tolerable
The tobacco is a small, finely sliced flake, usually broken. Each flake consists of some medium mottled leaf (looks like red and golden virginia), and some very dark leaf (probably dark fired burley). There is a sweet aroma which seems to be a light casing in the Danish style, and a pungency (but not the ketchup/vinegar aroma found in many McClelland blends). The moisture level is about average, which is much moister than I like it, and needs to be aired out for 15 - 30 minutes before lighting. Others may find it ideal in this regard.

The flakes rub out easily to any desired degree, and I prefer to rub them out some rather than use the "roll" method. The unlit flavor is rich, slightly sweet, and very pleasant. Lighting is average, and yielda a good quantity of dense, creamy smoke. The sweetness is barely noticable as it burns, but there is a surprising fullness to the smoke and a good strength from the dark burley.

Mid bowl is still cool and very tasty with only a slight trace of moisture in the stem. The flavor and strength remains constant. There does not seem to be any "layering" or complexity to the smoke, as in an all va. or va/perique, but the taste is satisfying.

The bottom of the bowl is still pleasant, and the ash is a fine dark gray which coats the pipe well. The room note is not remarkable in ant way.

My LSW claims that it makes my breath awful, even compared to latakia blends or other burleys. Curious, but I have no way to check it out.

target="_blank"