Mac Baren Golden Blend

(3.01)
Since Golden Blend was introduced back in 1952 it has gained many, many fans all over the world – rightly so. The special selected brown burley tobaccos, mixed with just a touch of golden Virginia, are carefully pressed and stored. The large slices are cut and partly rubbed up, which makes this blend easy to fill into your pipe. This slowly burning burley based blend is very satisfying and you will enjoy the slight note of chocolate – a note that all good burley tobacco produces naturally.
Notes: American pipe smokers will find this blend under the name of Golden Extra.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.01 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 30 of 31 Reviews
Apr 18, 2006 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Golden [extra] blend is one of the best burley blends on the planet!Again,you guys that smoke heavy latakia stuff won't like this.For the rest of us who like burley .... wow !
Jul 18, 2020 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
This is very good burley. The craftsmanship of this blend is really superb: both the quantity and the flavour of the chocolatey toppings/casings perfectly match the tobacco, resulting in an overall great taste. I would describe this taste as very refined. It has the usual burley earthy/slightly astringent notes with some nuttiness. There is also a bit of some subdued sweetness that could be the result of the Virginia leaf. It is somehow similar to Prince Albert and Carter Hall, but not as nutty nor sweet. Another difference with the latter is that there´s no trace of that plastic like taste that some people attribute to humectants like propylene glycol. You could say that this is like the premium counterpart of PA and CH, like regular chocolate and a fancy chocolate. It is somehow similar to other Mac Baren traditional blends (e.g. Mixture, Navy Flake), but this one is better, in my opinion. Not as aromatic, less sweet, and more elegant. It is very closed to London Burley Blend, although this one was bolder than GB: more earthiness and even more austere. Burns well but can bite if pushed. The room note is nice.
Pipe Used: Blakemar Bullcap
Jan 24, 2019 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
This is my everyday, go to smoke as such gets my highest rating. MacBaren's Golden Blend (or Golden Extra in the US) is a great burley based blend. As a committed Burley smoker, it is mild, tasty blend with a pleasant room note. It has a slight hint of fermenation/topping to give it a more pleasant flavor and smoothness than domestic drug store burleys such as Prince Albert or Red Cap.
Pipe Used: Briar, Olive, Corncob, Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars; originally from a small shop in Amsterdam
Jul 01, 2018 Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant
This is the taste I expected and was looking for when I started smoking a pipe. I wish somebody had pointed me to this one in those days. It's very easy to smoke, burn well, doensn't smoke hot. The taste may not be very complex, but it's very good. Something between the ideal taste of a cigarette and the ideal taste of chocolate. That said, I once had a pouch of this that bit no matter how slowly I smoked it. I had to throw it away in the end.
Dec 20, 2015 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
I have been smoking Golden Blend- Golden extra for many years. Moisture level is perfect for me, packed and lit easily. There was no problem keeping this one lit. There is no typical honey casing as with many of Mac's offerings. What I detect is the very mild presence of chocolate, and bittersweet. Slow smoking reveals a mildly sweet tasting Burley.

Golden Extra (sold as Golden Blend in EU) is perfect in a small corn cob (pride, legend, filtered with white elephant or Denicotea 6mm filter). It provides simple, almost mono dimensional pleasure of Burley's mild but honest tobacco flavor, and is buttery and nutty with an occasional hint of sweetness. It's really the perfect all-day, anytime smoke.

Relights are minimal to non-existent, and I regularly smoke this to ash in one go. The flavor is deep enough to reward you for slow, attentive puffing, but it is mild (mild to medium) enough to smoke all day! Being a Burley based tobacco, I find that this burns substantially faster than Virginias or English-style blends.

My favourite blend from MacBaren line! Its a straight on burley flavor that is milder than most with the added chocolate/cocoa topping. It's a burley that anyone can smoke . The quality of leaf is excellent. The room note is indeed pleasant. An classic all day smoker!

As far as Burley blends go , it's top quality! An all day- everyday blend . 5 STARS !!!
Pipe Used: missouri meerschaum corn cob/ pride, legend
PurchasedFrom: https://www.pipe-shop.net
Feb 06, 2011 Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
This was my first pipe tobacco, and what a nice introduction to pipe smoking it was... The tobacco comes in a coarsely ready-rubbed form, sometimes with a few intact flakes on top (I wish it came in a flake version!), which is very easy to pack and light. Tin aroma is very pleasant, a nice burley with fig, raisin, date, hazelnut, almond and cocoa notes with a slight sweetness. Flavour comes through from first light and is very true to tin aroma, with addition of a distinct biscuit note and a very pleasant, discrete sweetness. The flavour develops a cocoa-like bitterness and that Mac Baren maltiness as I go through the bowl. Room note is a pleasant, slightly sweet note of slightly burned biscuits, almost no hint of smokiness. This tobacco burns incredibly cool. Nicotine content is quite low. All in all a straight forward, excellent burley. Mac Baren really hit gold with this blend.
Jun 10, 2009 Mild Mild Medium Pleasant
I'll make this review rather brief. Let me say that Pipe4ever's review is absolutely on the money. This is indeed one of the best burley blends on the market. The aroma in the pouch is outstanding. Chocolatey, nutty, and a slight hint of honey. Just superb. Practically no bite ( unusual for a Mac Baren blend ), easy to keep lit, consistent pouch after pouch, and the room note is enticing.

The only drawback so to speak is that it is very light and one dimensional. Albeit, it would make a fantastic after breakfast smoke. Very well done Mac Baren.
Dec 17, 2008 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I'm thinking that Golden Blend is now labeled Golden Extra under Mac's logo. I've tried to submit a review before but must have done something wrong. (Big surprise!) But what ever I might have said then I need to tell you now I'm starting to understand the term "all day smoke". It's a little difficult to deal with out of the tin but in bulk it performs GREAT. No need to rub it out any more than it is. You'll be tempted to rub it down because it seems a little to course to pack but go for it. In a medium to large bowl I use the simple 1/3-2/3-3/3 easy draw pack and often never have to tamp or re lite and taken slow and easy my pipe never gets hot to my hand nor the smoke to my mouth. True, it's not an exciting smoke or a "complex" smoke with flavors bouncing off of every corner of your tongue but it's my first comfortable "all day smoke". Not quite enough to make me turn my back on the rest of the cellar but close.
Oct 08, 2007 Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
I got me a tin of this a few days ago. Enjoying a bowl in my GBD Rockroot with a big smile:-). It reminds me of Mac Baren's Harmony, but with a little bit more personality. The room aroma is pretty good in my opinion.

If you are exculively a fan of majorly sweet aromatics and HATE anything else, You may as well reach for the can of Blue Note on the next shelf. If you want to try something different, with flavor, grab a tin. Don't smoke it out of the same pipe as you do your Cpt. Black (if you smoke it like me).

I am a fan of both Aromatics and non aromatics. Aromatics such as Blue note is like having a chocolate sundae, Blends like Mac Baren is like having a steak. (not literally, but figuratively). Either one should be savored and enjoyed depending on mood and personal taste.
Apr 16, 2007 Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable
Opening the tin, as typical with MacBaren, the tobacco is well presented; aroma, appearance, moisture content. Having smoked Golden Extra in smaller pipes, today I decided to try it in my Ardor Sherlock. Although I found it to be a good smoke in standard size pipes, I must say that in the larger bowl this blend is much more satisfying.

It is labeled as ?ready rubbed?, I?m not sure of the origin of that term but felt it worth noting that I found this to be partially rubbed rather than fully rubbed. Without any further rubbing I lightly loaded a wad into my pipes leaving an air gap at the bottom of the bowl. That with a light, and an enjoyable smoke ensued (no tamping required).

Observations include: a very pleasant room note through the entire bowl, that being a subtle aroma of a "chocolate cake baking" and "coffee brewing" on the fringe of a tonic leathery bass note. Flavors were also of the same notes.

This blend does contain some Virginia leaf. That Virginian sweetness peaks through midway through the bowl (if one is puffing gently) and like a child wanting attention, keeps coming around time and again, giving a little nudge to the Burley.

Having acclimated my technique with MacBaren Blends, I experienced absolutely no tongue bite. A slight gurgling, once or twice through the bowl reminded me to lighten up my draw and my pace. MacBaren tobaccos are excellent if you know how to draw out their best behaviour.

I give this tobacco four stars, it?s a masterful blend and a high quality product. I believe it to be best in a larger pipe, but find it enjoyable in the standards too.

target="_blank"