Mac Baren Golden Blend

(3.01)
Since Golden Blend was introduced back in 1952 it has gained many, many fans all over the world – rightly so. The special selected brown burley tobaccos, mixed with just a touch of golden Virginia, are carefully pressed and stored. The large slices are cut and partly rubbed up, which makes this blend easy to fill into your pipe. This slowly burning burley based blend is very satisfying and you will enjoy the slight note of chocolate – a note that all good burley tobacco produces naturally.
Notes: American pipe smokers will find this blend under the name of Golden Extra.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.01 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 20 of 31 Reviews
Apr 30, 2017 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
For Burley ‘s lovers. Folks, if you want to taste an excellent Burley, with just a hint of natural sweetness, try this one and you won’t be disappointed. This mixture consists of Burley and a little bit of Virginia. There is no casing and no top dressing (both extremely mild). We can consider it a top natural mixture (an unflavored blend of high quality). So, if you like tasting a natural Burley, this is certainly for you. Great Mac Baren. In my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 10 and four stars. N.B For the American pipe smokers the name of the blend is Golden Extra.
May 26, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant
it's the most humble and elegant tobacco that i've ever smoked... it wants nothing, but gives you a LOT! a simple tobacco for simple smokers, that have touched me with it's simplicity... like a sage one said: "i think that some types of tobacco disapear because some types of smokers disappear..."
Jun 12, 2005 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
What a great way to start the day! A one-note performance but very enjoyable. It is hard to believe this is just Burley it is so tasty. If you normally avoid Burley tobacs, give this a try.
Gae
Jan 24, 2003 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
For a Burley blend this is "delicious".It has just the right amount of sweetness & creaminess to it,without being boring!Doesn't bite the tongue & make's a good all day smoke.I smoke this alot when I can get it in Australia.The tin aroma is superb & it's easy to light & smoke.Leave's a nice clean grey ash & doesn't leave any goop.I consider this to be one of Mac Baren's finest.It can be smoked straight out of the tin.In it's class-I'll give it a strong 3 out of 4 star's.
Nov 02, 2022 Medium None Detected Full Pleasant
I'm a smoker now since 3 months. I started, as usual for beginners, with several aromatics, but I soon found out, that I get only a chemical taste of what they promise. Trying pure tobaccos with several Virginias, also Blends with Lakatia, I was not so happy. I was close before to stop smoking. Then I found Mac Barens - Golden Blend. Giving the first time fire to the tobacco, I knew at once, thats my new favourite. The mouth was full of smooth and well tasty smoke. Nothing was biting with the first heat. The taste was like toasted walnuts. This natural taste was kept upto the end, because it was really natural. The room note contains also this walnut taste and is very pleasant. The tobacco was easy to smoke upto the bottom without additional firing and does not punish you for a hot pipe (as a beginner does sometimes). This is a great tobacco and I can only recommend to try it. I will have a look to other blends and want also mix up pure tobaccos by my own (such pure tobaccos are offered by e.g. Dan Pipe). But I'm not sure, if another one can win this competiton.
Pipe Used: Vauen Deluxe DL 066 N
PurchasedFrom: Internetshop
Age When Smoked: When smoked fresh
Apr 14, 2020 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Mac Baren Golden Blend/Extra Review

I was born thirty years after the release of Golden Blend (Extra here in the states). Being a pipe smoker for only just shy of three years I have been fortunate enough to have collected over three hundred different prepared tobaccos. If I was forced to guess in my short time being a pipe smoking, I have been able to try around five hundred different blends. Due to such variety I have never set myself in a specific rotation. I found it unnecessary and a bit silly. I would simply choose what I wanted at that that particular point and time or something I haven’t smoked in a while if I was feeling a bit indecisive. I never understood the reasoning behind smoking the same old stuff when you can always mix things up.

Starting out I was an English smoker. I know most people start as aromatic smokers. I personally never had a taste for them, although I can admit they are nice every now and then to break up the monotony of Latakia forward blends. After trying my hand at blending, disaster struck. I burnt out my palate. I simply couldn’t enjoy Latakia as much as I used to. I am thankful for this partly because I was able create something that I can be proud of. An English blend that I named 2B. But I am really thankful because it forced me into the realm of Virginias . . . and eventually to Burleys.

Fast forward a year or so and my Tobacco Acquisition Disorder caused me to randomly order a tin of Mac Baren’s Golden Extra. The very first time I opened the tin I smelled a bit of vinegar, bread, and a very mild sweetness. My first smoke of the tobacco was in my favorite Kirsten. A first-generation M with a modified valve to accept o-rings, a slightly bent stem with a broken ramrod from a second-generation C, a “Get Bent” adapter made by Doug Bisbee, as well as a Briar bowl made by Mike Brissett. I will never forget that day. It was the day that I genuinely fell in love with a tobacco.

When you smoke Golden Extra you are greeted with that almost herbal note (for lack of a better way to describe it) of the Burley tobaccos. The Virginias are always in the back seat throwing a little sugar on top of the Burley as well as adding some hay and citrus. Every now and then you will get a touch of chocolate from the Burley and/or possible toppings. It is a very straightforward blend unless you have mastered your smoking cadence. If so, then she opens up like a willing virgin on Prom night and will give you the most sublime of smoking pleasures. The Burleys will then offer a bit of nuttiness, earth, and a touch of wood. The Virginias will give a bit bread and grass and possibly even some honey. When you taste those notes from this blend . . . you know you have reached smoking bliss.

As I have previously mentioned, I never once understood the reasoning behind a blend rotation. But I would absolutely scoff at those old men that would come in to my local tobacconist and buy a pound of 1Q, BCA, or Vanilla Custard. I would watch them and wonder what type of simple life they must live that they only smoke the same blend over and over and over again. I now understand that I was a fool and that their wisdom is in their simplicity. I have purchased a couple more tins and three pounds of bulk Golden Extra and told my local tobacconist to keep it stocked. For the past six months I have smoked Golden Extra every single day. I simply cannot stop myself.

Earlier I used an analogy of a virgin on prom night so I will continue that mildly sexist trend with comparing tobaccos to women in general: Sure. It’s nice to get ahold of the most beautiful girl in your area and take her out every once in a while. But she is expensive and not readily available (like some of the blends that we all know and love). But there is that more modest girl around the corner that is always there for you and will never let you down. Rarely bites you and always comforts you when you need her. That girl for me is Golden Extra. And I think I am ready to settle down and enjoy the rest of my life with her.

Thank you Mac Baren for making this fine tobacco. It has not only brought me endless hours of comfort and enjoyment, but also taught me a life lesson or two along the way!

~ Barry
Pipe Used: Multiple
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars, Local B&M
Age When Smoked: Fresh to 6 months (Tin and Bulk)
Feb 09, 2015 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Golden Blend...one of the regulars.Mild easy to smoke Burley based:The taste is little bit nutty...sometimes you'll get the cocoa flavor too.Personally I get the taste of cocoa when I'm using old MM Diplomat(around 4 years old).Smoked in briars and meers too.The pouch version can be sometimes too dry so smoke the tin stuff if you had to possibility to choose.Perhaps if you're new smoker or aromatics are more your cup of tea the bite might come to visit...I never had a problem on that field.Nice all day tobacco with decent prize tag on it.

Smoked three years aged Golden Blend ana I must say it was marvelous. Stout burley taste had more chocolate taste and slight sweetness came more forward.A quality blend.
Pipe Used: Briars,cobs and meers
PurchasedFrom: Local tobacco store
Age When Smoked: Straight from tin
Sep 22, 2013 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I give four stars if smoked in corncob pipe and three in briar pipe.

An oldtimes and simple Burley based tobacco and unusual to be a Mac Baren it is completely unflavoured
Apr 03, 2010 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable
My first Mc Baren product was plumcake, which I needed to get used to and learn to appreciate. Now I like it a lot. This blend is less complicated but absolutely delicious Burley. The broken flake cut is excellent, the moisture content out of the package is perfect. Stuffed loosely in the pipe it starts off at first light. The taste is a lightly sweet, toasty, chocolate high quality Burley. Top product and a delicious no-nonsense tobacco. My go-to blend at the moment.
Mar 16, 2009 Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I am very much a burley lover so when I received this tin I could not wait to dig in and try a bowl. I packed it lightly into a large pot that I just smoke burleys in. The tobacco smelled sweet and natural upon opening the tin. It is ready rubbed and looks liked it was a slice upon manufactuer and then rubbed out. Reminded me of what Amphora Brown used to look like and feel. It lit very well on first light and I settled in with it as it's a slow burning tobacco and was very mild and tasty. I never had to light it again and it vurned down to a grey and white ash. It had the flavor a a nutty burley but no harshness or bite at all. Very enjoyable and burned all the way to the bottom without changing it's charactor. Only when I got almost to the bottom did it get stronger but was never harsh. I like this alot and will smoke all ot with pleasure and I do see buying more of this.

target="_blank"