Traditional, smoky and very English. Syrian latakia rounded off with various Virginia leafs and a touch of full bodied Java tobaccos. Blended by hand.

BrandPlanta
Manufactured ByPlanta
ContentsJava Leaf, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.7

The Java cigar leaf really makes this blend. It has a nice sweetness and a Perique-like spiciness to it. It also adds a great deal of body to the blend. You can taste cigar like notes on occasion. The Virginias add their own sweetness, but not much flavor. The Syrian Latakia seems to have been only lightly smoked allowing some of the character of the Oriental leaf to come through. It gives a mild smokiness and sometimes you can taste the sour, buttery notes of the leaf. This is an outstanding smoke. Medium to full in body and flavor. Very highly recommended.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

Planta - Full English

This is a superb blend that I like a lot because it's just sweet enough but not too sweet, and unlike some other englishes I've experienced the latakia component doesn't knock me over.  Sure the latakia is there but as Mr. Gentleman Zombie commented something to the effect of, it wasn't heavily smoked such that the basic oriental nature of the leaf comes through also. Pretty clever.

Another benefit of this is that the latakia doesn't knock over the cigar leaf either.  In some cigar leaf blends I've tried the cigar leaf gets lost behind the latakia, while others I've tried that do not have latakia felt, ah...empty you know?  This one gets it right.

So I'm sitting here right now on my front porch with a light rain falling, smoking a bowl of this blend over a glass of pinot grigio and I'm thinking it's all quite nice.  This has recently become not only my favorite english blend but also my favorite cigar leaf blend as well.

DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (32)

The Latakia is definitely there but it's not a Lat Bomb. The description of the tobacco doesn't include any Oriental or Turkish leaf but, if I didn't know that, I would swear that it is there. There is a distinctly sour note, but not unpleasantly so, that is usually associated with Orientals/Turkish. Perhaps that comes from the type of cigar leaf used... The Virginias are sweet, with a bit of fresh bread flavor.

StevieB (1902)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Planta - Full English.

It's a coarse ribbon, a mixture of browns (some medium, some dark), and mine was too dry. However, that's entirely my fault as this is one of the few blends I cellared without checking the seal first!

So, it's quite a tasty blend. I find it slightly milder tasting with Latakia than is often the case with an English. The Latakia adds rich flavour, albeit not a strong smoky quality. The Virginias do nothing spectacular, but sweeten the smoke slightly. At first the Java acts as more of a topping, rather than a structural leaf; a cigar 'twang', but not any bitterness from it. After halfway the Java develops more strength of flavour, becoming more certain a taste. I can't pass comment on the standard of burn as I allowed it to become dry!

The room-note isn't my thing, and it has a healthy amount of nicotine.

I'll rate this as if I hadn't let it become bone dry: recommended.

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: One month

SCPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SCPipe (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Delicious blend with wonderful latakia flavor. Long lasting finish - I smoked a bowl last night before dinner and could still taste it after dinner and a glass of wine! My only dislike is that it is fairly dry out of the pouch and even filling a little tighter, it does seem to have some burn issues but it does smoke cool, which is nice.

Marios Georgiou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marios Georgiou (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Excellent tobacco, very spicy, satisfactory with pure tobacco taste tha reminds you a good cigar. The latakia is not dominant, only gives to the blend and extra push...recommended for experienced pipe smokers and smoked in a small bawl preferably.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerchaum

Purchased From: Katsafados limassol

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (196)

This is definite staple in my cellar! A great choice for the first pipe of the day with your morning Joe, and also a great all day blend that won't weigh heavy on you.

Pouch aroma/appearance:

3 distinct tobaccos in the pouch, the bright Va, the medium brown Java and the dark Latakia. The Latakia comes into this blend in hard chunks, at first I thought it was all stem pieces. They can easily rub out into finer pieces to ease packing. Moisture content on point here. Aroma is a fig like sweetness, with just enough light smokiness to know there is Latakia mixed in. The Java leaf really stands out in the aroma, lending only what I can describe as a slight chocolate aroma. From the initial pipe I packed with this blend, I knew I would be hooked.

Packing/Lighting/smoking:

Packing is plain and simple. The moisture content and uniform cut makes it a breeze. Initial light comes easy, just a light, tamp, light. Burns cool and even, not many relights needed.

The flavors are delicious. The Java leaf has a perfectly balanced sweetness to the Latakia, adding that sweet cocoa note to the mix. The Va adds a bit of spiciness and tang, which gets a bit more intense into the bowl. Yes, Java is used as a fine cigar wrapper, but this doesn't have the room note or flavor of a cigar, so do not let that dissuade you from trying this blend. In fact, I think it has a pleasant room note, and so did the wife. Nicotine is middle of the road. Its not light, but It doesn't set you on your butt neither.

This gets a full 4 star rating from me. Superb blend that will always be in my rotation as long as they keep blending it.

Planta