One of our "Middle Earth" Series tobaccos, dedicated to the works of Tolkien. Rivendell is woodsy and earthy. Mildly sweet with a hint of walnut.

Notes: Founded by Jim and Gwen Reeves in August of 1970, The Country Squire has been a Mississippi fixture and mainstay for over 40 years. As Mississippi's oldest tobacconist, we feature over 20 unique and interesting house pipe tobacco blends

BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Walnut
Strength
Taste

3.9
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is mildly grassy with some citrus. The burley is nutty, a little toasty and woody, a bit earthy with a drop or two of molasses as a secondary player. The black cavendish has a little vanilla. The chocolate topping has a nice richness that plays well with the lightly applied, nutty walnut. They say only a hint of walnut is present, but it’s rich, much more so than many blends that have it as a topping in a higher quantity. The topping do tone down the tobaccos, but you will get the basic qualities of what they have to offer. Has little nicotine. No chance of bite. It’s a little moist, but doesn’t need dry time. The burn rate is slow to moderate, and requires a few relights, but not too many. Burns very cool, creamy, almost silky smooth with a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no goop or dottle. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note. A very easy going all day smoke.

-JimInks

Shiloh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shiloh (4)

From the Mountain Rambling Rusticator:

Nutty, Woodsy, Cocoa... this is a very accurate description by the blender. The first time I smoked this I kept saying, "Oh, Wow!," out loud, over and over. Like the House of Elrond itself, this smoke is a respite full of ancient wonder. This is by far and away the best Lord of the Rings inspired blend I have tried from any tobacconist. Top Shelf all the way.

Pipe Used: Various Briars

Age When Smoked: Newly acquired from the tobacconist

Purchased From: The Country Squire, Jackson, MS

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (96)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is going to be a first impression review. I’ll try to come back after a quarter pound or so and do it real justice...but the first thing many of you that order this will experience is that first bowl. What’s it like? Well, it’s like this...it’s comforting in times like these that have so much meanness, strife and unpleasantness to find something that soothes, where simple efforts are rewarded with significant pleasure. This blend, as others have described, is a melding of walnut & cocoa with a tinge of vanilla and a fair amount of tobacco shining through. It’s past a semi-aromatic in which flavors are there just enough to compliment the tobacco flavors that are still the main focus. Here, the cocoa and walnut play the main roll...but gently...so gently. Instead of being bludgeoned with flavor one is lovingly caressed with the various aromas playing in and out. Of note are the ease of control. If the flavors subside it’s likely too hot...ease back and they come right back. Smooth? Yup. The aroma of the ample smoke off the bowl is a delight - as I imagine is the room note. But I’m an outside smoker, sooo...it’s only a prediction. I’ve been a pipe guy for about fifty years and have smoked darn near everything, or at least every genre. I love Sweet VA flakes, Burley blends with Turkish and Cigar Leaf, nasty stinky Lakeland twists and plugs...you name it. But few aromomatics are in my top picks. But this one is. I’d pick this joyfull, subtle, flavorful blend over 99% of the other aromatics out there. Very highly recommended.

Edit 1: Here I am, back again after that quarter pound line I mentioned. I recently went through a period of “aromatic tests & trials” in which I looked up the top rated ten or fifteen blends for personal testing...rated tops by about three guys with whom I usually agree and have never steered me wrong. Guess which blend came out on top...the best of the best of the best? Well DUH. I wouldn’t be yakking about it here if it wasn’t this one. Yup...this Rivendell is HANDS DOWN the top dog. It beat a few by just a fair bit, but it beat the great majority by a country mile. Now all of us here know that in this world most “likes” are pretty subjective. We all like different things. It’s one of those...you can please some of the people all of the time...all of the people some of the time...etc. things. But with this blend I’d be surprised if it doesn’t please all the people all of the time. Well, enough of that. I gotta go order more.

Pipe Used: RD Pipes Custom Snake Head Dog + various cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh as a Daisy & 6 months old

Purchased From: The geniuses at The Country Squire

Similar Blends: A good many in the same general genre but none anywhere close to this..

TGatewood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TGatewood (4)

I'm a big fan of all of the Squire's Tolkien blends, but Rivendell is by far my favorite. It's nutty taste provides a great, cool smoke. No tongue bite or rough smokes from this blend, even if you tend to puff deep and quickly like I do. A great blend to accompany you when you're outdoors camping, or just when you need to "get away" from the monotony of the daily grind. This natural, earthy blend is a great way to escape. I'm not a huge fan of churchwardens, but I feel like it may be the most appropriate way to enjoy this blend designed for hobbits. Great blend that I highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bing's Favorite and MT Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Freshly Mixed

Purchased From: The Country Squire; Jackson, MS, USA

RandallMorgan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RandallMorgan (1)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is my first review. The slight cocoa note is nice, very subtle not a cocoa forward blend at all. The woody/nutty/toasted flavor is absolutely great. It has a nice creamy mouth feel with beautiful ivory smoke. The "aromatic" flavors of this blend to not overwhelm the taste of the actual tobacco. What else can I say? I've read the reviews and heard about this tobacco for a while and my expectations were high. I would highly recommend this blend from the Squire.

Pipe Used: MM Cobbit Shire

Purchased From: The Country Squire

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (43)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An interesting blend if I do say so. Very tasty, nutty and woodsy with wisps of cocoa and a cloying hint of what I guess would be vanilla.If one sips slowly, a tobacco taste will come through revealing the excellent tobacco used in this blend. A brilliant aromatic without an overly heavy casing. If you are not sure whether you like aromatics or not, give this blend a go. It might possible convert you. Cheers.

Pipe Used: Comoy's of London Zulu

Age When Smoked: Used over several months

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: American Style Aromatic.

AceFour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AceFour (2)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is extremely enjoyable smoke. Not wet, easy to light.

Cocoa is the predominate aroma and my wife loves the room note. Cocoa is the predominate flavor and is slightly sweet. There is a nutty background that works well in this blend. It is never harsh and does not burn hot.

It has been reported that some folks do a 50/50 with Green Dragon and call it Weathertop. I have tried this and conclude this is very enjoyable blend as well.

Anyone could enjoy this blend. Highly recommended

Pipe Used: T. Christano

Purchased From: https://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/product/rivendell-nutty-woody-cocoa/