Notes: Founded by Jim and Gwen Reeves in August of 1970, The Country Squire has been a Mississippi fixture and mainstay for over 40 years. As Mississippi's oldest tobacconist, we feature over 20 unique and interesting house pipe tobacco blends

BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Walnut
Strength
Taste

3.8
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is mildly grassy with some tangy citrus as the lead component. The burley is nutty, a little toasty and woody, a bit earthy with a drop or two of molasses as a secondary player. The black cavendish adds a little brown sugar. The chocolate topping has a nice richness that plays well with the lightly applied, nutty walnut. They say only a hint of walnut is present, but it’s rich, much more so than many blends that have it as a topping in a higher quantity. The topping do tone down the tobaccos, but you will get the basic qualities of what they have to offer. The strength is mild, while the taste is in the center of mild to medium. Has little nicotine. No chance of bite. It’s a little moist, but doesn’t need dry time. The burn rate is slow to moderate, and requires a few relights, but not too many. Burns very cool, clean, creamy, almost silky smooth with a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no goop or dottle. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. A very easy going all day smoke.

-JimInks

Shiloh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shiloh (4)

From the Mountain Rambling Rusticator:

Nutty, Woodsy, Cocoa... this is a very accurate description by the blender. The first time I smoked this I kept saying, "Oh, Wow!," out loud, over and over. Like the House of Elrond itself, this smoke is a respite full of ancient wonder. This is by far and away the best Lord of the Rings inspired blend I have tried from any tobacconist. Top Shelf all the way.

Pipe Used: Various Briars

Age When Smoked: Newly acquired from the tobacconist

Purchased From: The Country Squire, Jackson, MS

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (96)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is going to be a first impression review. I’ll try to come back after a quarter pound or so and do it real justice...but the first thing many of you that order this will experience is that first bowl. What’s it like? Well, it’s like this...it’s comforting in times like these that have so much meanness, strife and unpleasantness to find something that soothes, where simple efforts are rewarded with significant pleasure. This blend, as others have described, is a melding of walnut & cocoa with a tinge of vanilla and a fair amount of tobacco shining through. It’s past a semi-aromatic in which flavors are there just enough to compliment the tobacco flavors that are still the main focus. Here, the cocoa and walnut play the main roll...but gently...so gently. Instead of being bludgeoned with flavor one is lovingly caressed with the various aromas playing in and out. Of note are the ease of control. If the flavors subside it’s likely too hot...ease back and they come right back. Smooth? Yup. The aroma of the ample smoke off the bowl is a delight - as I imagine is the room note. But I’m an outside smoker, sooo...it’s only a prediction. I’ve been a pipe guy for about fifty years and have smoked darn near everything, or at least every genre. I love Sweet VA flakes, Burley blends with Turkish and Cigar Leaf, nasty stinky Lakeland twists and plugs...you name it. But few aromomatics are in my top picks. But this one is. I’d pick this joyfull, subtle, flavorful blend over 99% of the other aromatics out there. Very highly recommended.

Edit 1: Here I am, back again after that quarter pound line I mentioned. I recently went through a period of “aromatic tests & trials” in which I looked up the top rated ten or fifteen blends for personal testing...rated tops by about three guys with whom I usually agree and have never steered me wrong. Guess which blend came out on top...the best of the best of the best? Well DUH. I wouldn’t be yakking about it here if it wasn’t this one. Yup...this Rivendell is HANDS DOWN the top dog. It beat a few by just a fair bit, but it beat the great majority by a country mile. Now all of us here know that in this world most “likes” are pretty subjective. We all like different things. It’s one of those...you can please some of the people all of the time...all of the people some of the time...etc. things. But with this blend I’d be surprised if it doesn’t please all the people all of the time. Well, enough of that. I gotta go order more.

Pipe Used: RD Pipes Custom Snake Head Dog + various cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh as a Daisy & 6 months old

Purchased From: The geniuses at The Country Squire

Similar Blends: A good many in the same general genre but none anywhere close to this..

Mork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mork (68)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Rivendell, The Country Squire

Description: One of our "Middle Earth" Series tobaccos, dedicated to the works of Tolkien. Rivendell is woodsy and earthy. Mildly sweet with a hint of walnut.

Discussion:

Well, unsurprisingly, it tastes like chocolate and walnuts. The smell and the taste match rather well and this is a rather sweet blend with some depth. Not a lick of tobacco taste to be found, but I’m OK with it at this point.

I think I’m going to do a bit of a story/sense memory to accompany this blend.

When I was probably 15 I was in Paris. I had spent a fair amount of time there growing up, nothing extreme, but for an American kid in the 90s, it was a bunch. Two or three months a year probably. Never learned enough French to actually function properly, which was my own fault.

In any case, I became infatuated with a girl who worked in a bakery there. Every day that trip I’d walk over and do my broken French version of flirting with a girl who, in hindsight, was definitely not going to be into a slightly younger American kid. At least not in any way I might have, uh, hoped. But, being young and full of myself, I kept at it. I’d ask for things for takeaway and try to talk to her. One day she handed me some chocolate covered walnuts which had a serious dusting of dark chocolate powder on the outside. She blushed a bit and tried to speak English to me. She told me she had made them for me. That was a pretty formative moment. A pretty blond french girl blushing and giving me some delicate chocolate she had made while trying to speak my language after I had spent weeks butchering hers. The whole thing was rather innocent and sweet. But it felt like a moment of elated victory, as much of one as I could have reasonably expected anyway. A nice memory.

That’s what this blend makes me think of.

I’m not going to rate aromatics with my normal scale anymore unless they fall into the slightly enhanced natural tobacco sphere. There isn’t much point when they’re carriers for a specific direct and topped taste profile. There’s only so many ways one can say this tastes like caramel or this tastes like cherries and rank them numerically. So I’ll just do this: Good or Bad. If it’s a Good it gets 3 stars on TR. If it’s a bad it gets 1. Simple enough.

Rating: Good.

TGatewood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TGatewood (4)

I'm a big fan of all of the Squire's Tolkien blends, but Rivendell is by far my favorite. It's nutty taste provides a great, cool smoke. No tongue bite or rough smokes from this blend, even if you tend to puff deep and quickly like I do. A great blend to accompany you when you're outdoors camping, or just when you need to "get away" from the monotony of the daily grind. This natural, earthy blend is a great way to escape. I'm not a huge fan of churchwardens, but I feel like it may be the most appropriate way to enjoy this blend designed for hobbits. Great blend that I highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bing's Favorite and MT Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Freshly Mixed

Purchased From: The Country Squire; Jackson, MS, USA

RandallMorgan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RandallMorgan (1)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is my first review. The slight cocoa note is nice, very subtle not a cocoa forward blend at all. The woody/nutty/toasted flavor is absolutely great. It has a nice creamy mouth feel with beautiful ivory smoke. The "aromatic" flavors of this blend to not overwhelm the taste of the actual tobacco. What else can I say? I've read the reviews and heard about this tobacco for a while and my expectations were high. I would highly recommend this blend from the Squire.

Pipe Used: MM Cobbit Shire

Purchased From: The Country Squire

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (43)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An interesting blend if I do say so. Very tasty, nutty and woodsy with wisps of cocoa and a cloying hint of what I guess would be vanilla.If one sips slowly, a tobacco taste will come through revealing the excellent tobacco used in this blend. A brilliant aromatic without an overly heavy casing. If you are not sure whether you like aromatics or not, give this blend a go. It might possible convert you. Cheers.

Pipe Used: Comoy's of London Zulu

Age When Smoked: Used over several months

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: American Style Aromatic.

AceFour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AceFour (2)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is extremely enjoyable smoke. Not wet, easy to light.

Cocoa is the predominate aroma and my wife loves the room note. Cocoa is the predominate flavor and is slightly sweet. There is a nutty background that works well in this blend. It is never harsh and does not burn hot.

It has been reported that some folks do a 50/50 with Green Dragon and call it Weathertop. I have tried this and conclude this is very enjoyable blend as well.

Anyone could enjoy this blend. Highly recommended

Pipe Used: T. Christano

Purchased From: https://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/product/rivendell-nutty-woody-cocoa/

J. Alton Carter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Alton Carter (5)
Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

The Country Squire has been serving the pipe smoking community locally, nationally, and even internationally for 50 Years! They are well known for their finely crafted and hand-blended tobaccos that are sure to enable every pipe smoker the opportunity to discover blends that will provide them with their own “Perfect Smoke”! So, Let’s chat about one of their Middle Earth series of tobaccos....RIVENDELL. If you are fortunate enough to have read J.R.R. Tolkien’s writings then you are already going to be drawn to this series of smoking blends. If you have read the books or seen the movies.... then pause and ponder....what things remind YOU of Imladris the Last Homely House East of the sea? Maybe things like happiness, sweet smells of fine foods and the never ending blossoms of spring — gentle Elven songs and strong bardic Tales of war and peace, love.....and loss. Like the famous haven of Rivendell, that provided so many weary travelers with a place of protection, rest, and learning....this aromatic blend of tobacco binds together a panoply of smells and tastes that brings the smoker to think of one word.....COMFORT! The cocoa is most forward here, accompanied by aromas of loamy earth mixed with essences of dried fig and walnuts. Deftly, underneath all, flows a subtle hint of petrichor, that smell wafting in on a summer breeze filled with smells of grassy organic essential oils blended gently with the falling rain. Deeper still — there is that scent of when a spring shower softly caresses the thirsty earth and quenches the firm hard rocks underneath. Yes, this beautifully smelling blend is on the wetter side as many aromatic blends are want to be. However, don’t let that put you off. Moist aromatic tobaccos are meant to be just that.....wet....and if you asked the blender that created it, they would most likely tell you not to dry it out very much. He or she would also probably tell you to smoke it moist as it’s tobacco-components and the flavor and burn properties of those tobaccos and casings are best enjoyed when having a higher moisture content. When smoked, this tobacco provides a luxuriant thick smoke and burns consistently to a fine ash. Remember though that wetter aromatics are best enjoyed through the slow patient stride of a pipe-smoker that understands the true Contemplative nature of our art. “Haste makes waste” and this old saying holds very true for this exquisite blend known as RIVENDELL!!!

Pipe Used: Full-Bent briar & meerschaum calabash

Age When Smoked: Freshly hand-blended by tobacconist.

Purchased From: The Country Squire, Jackson Mississippi, https://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/

Similar Blends: Reminiscent of Sutliff’s Molto Dolce Or Cream Brûlée. Also reminds me of “Just For Him’s” Middle Earth blend Treebeard sans the Perique..

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (131)

Nutty, chocolate and semi sweet with enough earthiness from the burley and citrus from the Virginias to let you know it is tobacco you are smoking. Another excellent blend from The Country Squire. Not overly strong, won’t bite or become goopy. Overall well behaved in the bowl. Tin note and taste are spot on as well. Room note of this one will bring compliments as well. Will definitely keep this on hand here at the creek!