Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Rum Flake

(3.03)
The 'Christmas cake' of all our tobaccos. A very rich, sweet fully flavoured blend. The main feature is the high proportion of naturally sweet sun-cured tobaccos in the blend - over 40%. Only 30% Virginia leaf, with the rest of the blend coming from burleys and dark-air cured contribute to a strong, but rewarding smoke. The whole blend is cased in maple sugars to further enhance the natural sweetness of the sun cured leaf and then rounded off with a dash of rum.
Notes: Due to EU regulations, this is now sold in those countries as "Jamaican Flake". Since 2016 and perhaps earlier, the tin label on the back states ”Virginias and burley with flavors of rum, licorice and vanilla”.

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Aromatic

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.03 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 12 of 12 Reviews
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Jun 09, 2004 Very Strong Extra Strong Extra Full Pleasant
When I went looking for a Rum Flake, I went looking for Rum and good Virginia. What I found was a Virginia seemingly cased with Anise/Licorice. This in no way even approximates it's advertised casing of "maple sugars" and "rum". In it's totality, it tastes like fine orange Virginia and Burley cased with Pernod Liqueur and sprinkled with Pepper. Beyond it's flavor, it seemed to have a prickly, bite. Not tongue bite, but the chemically induced little bites of black pepper.

I can relate and adjust to some of the soapy, florid blends from England. However, this was not one of those tobaccos. This was nothing short of an assault on the tongue. I had tried this the first time in a pipe in which I had smoked English, so I switched to a new corncob to be quite sure. I am quite sure that this is not for me. My wife, seated next to me in our car commented on the reasonable room note, however (which is impressive if you know my wife).

At another time, with different expectations, I might try it again. This just did not come close to what it bills itself.
Please login to upvote this review.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Oct 19, 2001 Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong
I found this one to be too strong for my taste. It was very heavy and the strength of the tobacco over powered the flavour for me.
Please login to upvote this review.

target="_blank"