Created by Dan and J.M. in the fall of 2013. A rich, buttery blend of black and cavendish, reminiscent of fresh baked cupcakes and sweet butter cream frosting.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
Blended ByBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
FlavoringButter, Caramel, Cream, Sweet / Sugar
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium

Hanzy4200 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hanzy4200 (12)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

If you're a sweet aromatic smoker, this is a must have. Absolutely delicious. I've worked my way through most all of Boswells blends, and they just seem to get better every time. This is definitely a full aromatic. This is not one for those who like light casings. Whenever I'm in the mood for something sweet and rich, this is the one I grab.

Pipe Used: Magic Inch

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)
Very Mild Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am thoroughly impressed with the Boswells - their customer service is superb (very rare these days) and their aromatic blends are quite well done. I'm not an avid aromatic smoker, but their blends tend to be light enough in casing that the tobacco flavors show through. Their choice of foundation tobaccos seem to be of high quality - a true testimony to the integrity of their house. Having said all of that, "Cupcake" is essentially just as described - very, very "cupcakey". The person who won the 'Name that Blend' contest for this one hit it right on the nose. To the blenders credit, there is no dishonesty in the name. The blend smells and tastes exactly like a child's buttercream topped cupcake. It reminded me of those sweet pink, green, yellow and blue frosting covered cupcakes I used to help my children make for bake sale day in elementary school. While those are fond memories, they aren't so cherished that I want to smoke them. Cupcake is simply too sweet and heavily flavored for me. It's a little sticky and gummy in hand, and without any real robust tobacco base at all, at least for my taste. Make no mistake, I am still an ardent fan of Boswell's tobacco blends and pipes. This particular blend is just not for me. I recommend it for those who have a serious 'sweet tooth' when it comes to their tobacco.

Pipe Used: Brebbia Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Freshly blended

Purchased From: Boswells Pipes

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28783)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

The taste, the smell... It's all there. It lives up to the name. Highly recommended for anyone with a sweet tooth. Surprisingly I found that the sweetness is enhanced towards the end of the bowl. Another win for Boswell.

Pipe Used: 1960 stanwell nosewarmer

Purchased From: JM Boswell & Son

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I received a sample of this with my last order and was invited to give it a name as a contest to win a pound of it. My submission was not chosen but none the less this is a great blend. I smoked the whole 1 oz sample before i really even tried the others i had ordered. I am glad they finally named it because now i can order some, which i just did a few days ago and should be here very shortly. I can't wait to thoroughly enjoy another sit down with this blend. It is smooth, sweet, and cool burning. Not too wet but i find that all Boswell blends are of good moisture content. This blend also has a wonderful room note that is often REQUESTED in my household. A must try for any aromatic enthusiast, and another home run by Boswell's.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320 KS

Age When Smoked: Fresh, new

Purchased From: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Boswells cupcake was certainly just that. This sweet aromatic takes on a flavor of just pure dessert. Another aromatic by Boswells that just smells edible and smokes how it smells it all matches up. I absolutely enjoyed this tobacco as it does provide for my occasional sweet tooth. The tobacco was easy to work with and burned well I didn't really need to dry this out a bit. The smoke was very enjoyable and the room note was superb. I would def. recommend this and I plan on buying more of this treat.

Pipe Used: Sharrow bulldog

Purchased From: Www.boswellpipes.com

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)

A winner for sure... this blend lives up to it's name... it's sweet before it's lit, it's sweet while it burns and it's even sweet at the bottom of the bowl. It's not just sweet- it's sugary sweet. A lot of sweet aromatics lose their sweetness at the end, often the base tobacco shines through, and sometimes the horrible bottom of the bowl sneaks up on you. In this case the sweetness mellowed but didn't ever drop out and the base blend of tobacco come on stronger - huge plus for me. I honestly thought this was TOO sweet for me when I opened the pouch, but I am very pleasantly surprised at the bottom of bowl #1 that I want more. Boswells high quality tobaccos and subtle hand on casings shows through with this blend.

I was a little disappointed by how mellow the start of the bowl was but it got better and better as it went along... I HIGHLY recommend this blend to anyone who likes sweetness. Mild, warm burning (but NOT hot), and a very nice room note. I am going to give this a rare 4 star review... and again- I wasn't impressed when I started...

Pipe Used: Grabow Color Duke Bent Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: Boswell's B+M visit

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (207)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A year ago I ran into someone with Boswell's Pipers Pleasure, it was pleasant, so I become curious about their other concoctions, especially one as delicious as a cupcake! I ordered 5 of their Aromatics and a few days later a box came in the mail with a nasty toner ink smell (possibly from the bag labels), but still they had an overpowering stench.

Inside was a syrupy Cavendish, topped beyond recognition (in fact all of their other pouches had the same treatment). It was certainly cased with vanilla, likely caramel, possibly maple syrup, or any sugar product really. Imagine walking into a Gloria Jeans (or some heavy syrup using coffee shop), where the air hangs of artificial sweeteners. You know your teeth are about to ache.

Packing was a bit sticky, but the match loved the contents. The smoke tasted much as the contents smelled, an amalgam of sugary things. It was all too much and performed much like a flavored Hookah.

I asked the misses about the room note, and she correctly guessed it was a cake/frosting smell or something caramel, so to this blend's credit it is accurate on the nose. I can't say it was bad, but I just felt duped for paying twice as much for what likely a bulk Lane product with even more artificial seasoning.

Purchased From: boswellpipes.com

Michel1988 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michel1988 (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

WOOOOOOOOOWWW that all i can say basically !! This Tobacco is sooooo good it smells Amazing better than every room freshener !! It smokes cold no tongue burn the taste is very good low nicotine level tobacco perfect for a whole day smoke!!

Pipe Used: Peterson XL60

Age When Smoked: 29

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is probably the sweetest of the Boswell blends. The caramel and sugar pulls through giving you a sweet treat on each pull. It is definitely a sweet aro lovers dream. With that said, as sweet as it is, it isn't all artificial and over the top like so many aros wanting to be sweet. It is a little toward the moist side but there's no relight issues and it burns straight through nicely. The flavor and sweetness is also consistent from beginning to end. It is smooth and creamy on the palate. Boswell seems to find balance so well in their blends and this blend is no different. A fine balanced sweet delivery. If you want a good even sweet offering, this is it. Truly a dessert. Nicely done. It's cavendish and smooth at that. No other tobaccos to give you varying tobacco nuances. With that said, knowing that up front you know what you should be getting on that front. Great room note. The smoke and the note are a match (great taste and a great note that matches what you are enjoying).

Pipe Used: Rossi, Red Point, La Strada, Cob

Age When Smoked: 3-6 mos

CorneyStools Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CorneyStools (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As a relatively new pipe smoker, I love this blend. Having tried over 50 different aromatic blends, I think this one rates among the best. It's extremely smooth and mellow and has a very satisfying taste to it. Absolutely no bite. I've recently discovered Boswell tobacco blends, and am very glad I did. The tobacco they use is obviously top shelf. I just ordered a pipe from them and can't wait to try it out.

Pipe Used: Lorenzetti Tempesta

Purchased From: Boswell's Pipe and Tobacco

Country Bladesmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Bladesmith (5)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Smells like buttercream frosting when you open the pouch. I usually scrape frosting off of cake before I eat it because it’s too sweet for me, so when I first bought this (on someone else’s recommendation) I didn’t think I would like this tobacco. I was wrong. It is definitely an aromatic smoker’s tobacco, as is all the other Boswell’s aromatics I’ve tried. Heavy on the topping, and definitely on the sweet side. I usually hate tobacco that is heavily cased and topped, because it tastes artificial, but Boswell’s aromatics (all the ones I’ve tried so far anyway) have very natural-tasting toppings, so I don’t mind. Upon lighting, you get an immediate vanilla buttercream smell/taste and a light toastiness, and the taste and smell remain pretty much the same throughout the bowl. All of these Boswell aromatics smoke a little wet, and need some drying time. I will say, it seems to me that the storage life of the topping is more short-lived on the Cupcake than it is for some of the other blends they make. It dissipates quite a bit for me after a couple months or so in a Mason jar, and without the topping, the tobacco is rather boring, so I only order this one a couple of ounces at a time. That being said, this is one of my favorite aromatics, and the room note is fantastic.

Pipe Used: Briar, cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh to three months

Purchased From: Boswell’s

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (176)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Tin aroma is about as it gets! This smells like a bake shop, sweet cake batter vanilla and caramel. If I had my eyes closed, I would believe this was a confection and not tobacco...not a hint of leaf in the tin aroma. The flavor very enjoyable and the room note is very good...wife approved. Boswell aromatics are the only aromatics that actually smell and taste similar. This one starts sweet and the vanilla cupcake is easily detectable right out of the gate. The Cavendish is sweet and you get some grass and toasty notes from the VA's. As you get past the half way point the tobacco flavors become more pronounced, some citrus notes mix with the vanilla topping and there is some dry, woody and nutty flavors from the burley that is certainly in here. Not a gloopy mess like most aromatics with this type of strong aroma and flavor. I gave this 45 minutes of dry time and suggest that with all of the aromatics from Boswell. Great with a cup of coffee in the a.m.

Pipe Used: briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin and 1 year

Purchased From: Boswell

LSUTigersFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSUTigersFan (5)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I am still developing my ability to detect flavors, but this tobacco is very easy to describe; although, it may be an odd description. The girlfriend makes a "toffee cookie." It's like a crunchy sugar cookie with toffee pieces in it. They are insanely good, and my waist line appreciates that she rarely makes them (for that reason). If that cookie could be make into a pipe tobacco, this would be it. I get a smokey, creamy, butterscotch type taste on the top of my mouth. It's amazing if you are in to aromatics.

Pipe Used: Savinelli: Severe Rusticated (614)

Purchased From: Boswell

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have only smoked two bowls of this blend but after reading all these reviews I was expecting a bit more flavor. It is usual for Boswell a nice blend but I was looking for much more flavor. I will let dry more to see if I can get more flavor out of it. Nice room note and burns nice and cool without bite.

Follow up: Well I tried different pipes and let dry out for several days. I just could not get a large amount of taste from this blend. What taste I could get was very good but it was not very dominant nor did it last through the entire bowl. I think I will Celler this for a while. I have not given up on it yet. The taste when it is there is outstanding. Baked bread a little General sweetness and some passing honey at times. It is a great taste I just can't seem to pull enough out nor continue that taste through the entire bowl.

Pipe Used: Vauen/Turkish Meerschaum

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (51)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a very tasty blend, don't seem to get the "cupcake" thing, only a sweet aromatic (i wish there is a blender that could make something like cupcakes). Now, I will say this, the tobacco does have some kind of a pastry quality, and the smoke is rather sweet, smokes clean, no bite, but not as sweet as Sutliff's "Vanilla Custard", this one is still the winner hands down. I short, I would highly recommend this for any aromatic fan, ya' cant go wrong with this one! BTW, this is my first Boswell blend, and I will be trying others.

Pipe Used: Ropp Briar