Peterson Balkan Delight

(3.16)
A traditional mixture comprising the finest of Virginia tobaccos plus a hint of Louisiana perique and a generous proportion of Cyprus Latakia. A delight for the seasoned pipe smoker.
Notes: Due to EU regulations, this is renamed and sold in those countries as "Balkan Mixture".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.16 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 30 of 67 Reviews
Jul 03, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Many people seem to really enjoy this tobacco blend. I am not one of them. The tin opening note was good and heavy--filled with the promise of a satisfying smoke. My first visual observation was that the blending was rough--meaning that the majority of the Latakia was over to one side of the can. Very odd, and had not ever seen anything quite similar before.

So I mix it up a bit and let enough for a bowl dry out for about half an hour. The charring light caused the tobacco to present quickly, requiring a very quick tamp to contain tobacco that was falling out the top. On the smoking light, my disappointment began.

First, the Lat made itself known. Cyprian is a bit more forward than the Syrian I usually smoke--but this is the sort of Cyprian that has notes of burning rubber in the leading edge. Before this really sunk in the Perique showed up and in an unhappy, bitey manner. This all tamed down in a bit to a fairly tame smoke. But it seems rather muddled and to be missing 'something.'

Not to judge any tobacco on first blush, I am now almost through an entire tin. Smoked in different pipes with different chamber sizes and geometries. My opinion has not changed. To me this tobacco misses the satisfaction mark and is something that others will will need to find a liking for.
Pipe Used: Pete 8S and various others
PurchasedFrom: SmokingPipes
Age When Smoked: New Tin
Oct 20, 2013 Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
Having a scotch with the wife- I lit up a bowl & half way through she retired for the night- but I stuck around to finish the tasty, smoky, lat-filled treat. I probably should have went to bed when she did- as when I was finished- I got the spins from the nic. I haven't felt that way since last year when I puffed hard on some OJK. Crazy thing is that when I woke up this morning- I went right back to the Balkan for another pipeful- just more cautious this time. It's good stuff, not for the faint of heart- but complex & nothing similar to their other offerings in round tins (Nutty Cut, etc). The lat is superb & the perique in the background, as it should be IMO. Similar to Nightcap- but different. I won't have any issues finishing the tin, provided I respect the strength. Good job Mr. Pete!
Oct 31, 2020 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Ok, so is it a Balkan? Who knows and what's in a name anyway. My tin says Balkan mixture and by definition this isn't, but I digress. The Perique is a nose tickler and to me not overly done. The Virginia is layered in along with Latakia in equal amounts. Nicotine level is a notch above medium. I smoke my tins fresh and then with some age after opening as I find the intro of air can change the flavors and remove sharp edges.This lights and packs well, smokes with no bite, and leaves no moisture. Smoke it slow and it's wonderful, push it and it will flatten. Not an all day smoke, but it does go great with a nice lager or stout. If your sensitive to Nicotine be cautious. Recommend

Lager
Pipe Used: Savs, Petersons
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes
Age When Smoked: New to 3 months
Feb 07, 2020 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I agree for the most with the description above, this blend is tasty yet smooth and gentle. However, I cannot distinguish what here is described as "tranquil peppery bitterness". The first third or so is dominated by Virginia sweetness and Latakia smokiness/woodiness, then the smoke becomes more earthy, robust, cigarish and creamy, which means that Perique takes over from Virginia I suppose, leading the dance together with Latakia. I don't know why there is always this reference to pepper when describing Perique tobacco, this really puzzles me. Anyway, this is a top-notch mixture. It doesn't bite a bit, it's tasty without being overwhelming, requires an average number of relights. I wouldn't smoke this inside though. Definitely Balkan in character, even without Orientals. Brought me back to the good ol' days of Sobranie, for a few seconds!
Pipe Used: Various
PurchasedFrom: Private retailer
Dec 31, 2018 Strong Strong Full Pleasant
I am a dedicated non-aromatic guy who has for over 50 years smoked Dunhill 965. (See my other review. Alas, Dunhill is no longer making pipe tobacco, and in anticipation I bought 5-years'-worth of tins. My wife wasn't thrilled. But I digress.) I was trying other tobaccos, figuring it was a fool's errand. But just as I was about to give up my quest, OMG, I tried Balkan Delight! Maybe it's just the right amount of perique, who knows? I don't buy tobacco to analyze it -- only to smoke it. It's absolutely delicious and has such a such a great nutty aroma. It's so good that I puff slower to savor it, and so a bowl will last longer.
If you are a non-aromatic tobacco lover, you owe it to yourself to try it. And hopefully Peterson will continue making it along with their pipes so you don't have to mourn it's loss.
Age When Smoked: 70
Nov 02, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Sand to black colored ribbons and clumps with a tin nose of latakia and a breadish Virginia. I really didn't whiff any perique. Clumpy stuff tended to clog a couple of my pipes but I was eventually able to work around this annoyance.

Unfortunate name aside... as I classify a "Balkan" as a blend heavy on orientals... this reminded me of one or two of the Sam Gawith latakia-no oriental blends I've smoked. And it suffered the same fate, which I hasten to add is a personal preference. To my tastebuds, orientals make latakia snap into focus, and this blend never really did. It started as latakia forward and the lat was always prevalent. The perique picked up relatively quickly and replaced the Virginia as 2nd lead. By the time this blend settled in, it was the usual smoke and spice of latakia with a mild pepper from the perique. The Virginias lacked the sweetness I prefer and mostly acted as a base for the two condiments to rule. There was a slight bready quality to the VA but this was a "spice forward" blend. To my mind, condiments are supposed to be just that, and asking them to take this much of a lead provided a bitter smoke that was very dry and murky. Very one-dimensional. As a test, I smoked it while I was outside in the fall air raking leaves and it performed best in that capacity. It was problematic as a sit-down contemplative smoke - just too much jumping about with the smoke and pepper. If you like this type of thing, however, give this a whirl. K&K does a very credible job of recreating blends and I have no reason to doubt the quality of the leaf. This one was just not for me. I need those orientals with latakia to provide depth and focus.
Oct 20, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
The blend name and several reviews here tempted me to purchase a tin.from the tin discription i realized that this is no balkan blend but an english/perique one.once the tin opens a nice smell comes out.lots of pepper notes accompanied from some smokey and citrusy notes prepares you for a unique smoking experience.the blend is dry and the ribbon cut makes it easy to pack,light and hold the burning without lots of relights.while burning the flavours are complex and very natural.latakias are smokey,sweet,woodsy and coaly.perique is the star here adding lots of peppery notes and spices with some plumy notes.rarelly some sour notes pop up.finally the virginias offer mostly citruses and fruits making the experience complete and wonderfull.generally the flavours combine perfect to a nice and natural result.burns somewhat qiuck and very cool to pefect ash with a few moisture left at the filter.nicotine level is medium and the aftertaste is nice.room note is unpleasant and heavy.no tongue bite appeared to me.though i do not prefer smoking latakia blends all day this can be an all day blend.generally this blend is kinda unique and left me only positive feedback.totally recommended!
Mar 02, 2018 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
The best descriptor I can apply to this blend is "imported drugstore tobacco."

The complexity is quite low and only perceptible with restrained sipping. Push this blend and the complexity disappears completely, leaving a hot acrid mess. The laudable qualities of this mixture don't survive long, and no matter how carefully you sip it, it never survives the half-bowl mark.

It's not terrible. A little more depth in the Virginia department would have improved this mixture dramatically. And the Latakia appears to be "bargain-basement," sufficing to do what it must to fulfill its condimental role, without contributing character or depth whatsoever.

It could be a workaday, all-day blend, especially for some of the less contemplative activities of the day.

This was my first Peterson blend. I'm curious about the plugs and flakes, but frankly this blend has scared me off trying any of the others.

***UPDATE 6 March 2018

My sense of smell was a little more acute yesterday, due to a tin of palate-cleaning mild ale. I was able to detect a pleasant complexity to the aroma of this blend that I hadn't noticed earlier. A natural Virginia sweetness similar to blueberries. A delicious but very fragile aroma. In agreement with my earlier evaluation, this blend has no body to hold any complexity and all of these pleasantries vanish somewhere around the half-bowl point.
Oct 05, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
It was the first blend I tried moving away from aromatics, after reading good reviews here. Now I'm no expert, I didn't know the difference between perique and latakia, but at once I found that this blend is delicious. A certain spiciness and sweetness that isn't really present in other blends that I've tried, and so far not something that most can compare to.

All in all, a delightful smoke.
Pipe Used: Peterson Billiard
Mar 18, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Balkan Delight’s tin note is smoky with a little bit our sour. I prefer my tobacco a little drier than this is out of the tin, so I did allow for a little bit of dry time. In the pipe it is a “woody,” smoky, slightly sweet blend that burns cool and without a bite. The Perique is very noticeable, but I wouldn’t call it overwhelming. It offers a pepper quality to the blend although I didn’t find it too spicy. The flavor is pretty rich and deep with moderate complexity. As each bowl progressed, I taste the Perique more and the spice does increase, but again, not over the top. The mild sweetness does diminish on the later stages of the bowl, but I really didn’t get the bitterness described in the notes. The ample amount of Latakia plays a leading role, but leaves enough room for the other component tobaccos. Peterson has their blends produced by more than one manufacturer and I am not sure who make this blend, but my guess is that it is German. Although very different blends, I enjoy this more than Old Dublin, although neither would be a four star blend for me.

target="_blank"