Castello Fiammata

(2.89)
A Virginia flake with just the right amount of Perique added to deliver the ideal complement to an afternoon or evening cappuccino.
Notes: 2013 IPCPR release

Strength

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste
Full

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.89 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 Reviews
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
May 05, 2017 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Castello - Fiammata.

I've had this in my cellar for about four months now, and was in the mood for a new VaPer to start the day with. The tin description concurred with my wants, but puzzlement ensued after flicking through the reviews earlier to find a few Burley comments. But as I'd already popped it I carried on and filled my morning bowl!

First thing: my blend looks NOTHING like the one pictured here. Alright, it's the same colour, but that's like saying because I have a head I'm Frank Sinatra's double! This is a very broken flake, to the point of being more like really thick ribbons. I doubt even the most arduous journey would turn the flake that's pictured into what I have. But, I guess that's not really a 'fault'.

Perfectly moist, so this enables easy ignition. Now, as good as the burn is it's too fast; my Friday Altinok Lee Van Cleef meerschaum could do with having a larger bowl to get more tobacco in! On to the flavour: having read the few Burley comments it had me looking very deeply. There's a very slight rustic note, but not enough to suggest an addition of the leaf. The Virginia comes across the strongest for the initial part, but this is quickly caught up by the Perique. After the first quarter I find the Perique the more formidable of the two, developing more spice. With the burn, I also find it too hot, and the smoke becomes quite bitey.

I don't find the room note that unbearable, and the nicotine's above medium.

This isn't bad, but has a few too many faults to get any higher than two stars.

Somewhat recommended.
Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef friday pipe
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: Four months
Please login to upvote this review.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Oct 08, 2013 Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong
UPDATE 1/12/15

This one still hasn't settled down. Very strong burley-ish, which C&D is known for, but the base is supposed to be Virginia. A very earthy Virginia, apparently. I've known VA's to show some earthiness but never to this extent. Two stars is still the best I can muster for this one.

UPDATE 10/22/13

Received a new tin, dated September 8. The bad news is that this tin tastes like the first batch I got. Heavy on the burley-ish taste, extremely limited sweetness from the VA that I'm told is in there but can't confirm through smoking. The perique is present but pretty subdued. This is a raggedy blend, very rough, and not just around the edges. Nothing like C&D is capable of with respect to their VaPers. I smoke and enjoy a lot of their stronger blends such as Kajun Kake and BF #3, and this leans heavily in that direction. Not a bad blend, but I think I was just expecting something more of a traditional VaPer with a C&D flair, and this one fails in that attempt. I'm wondering if Fiammata just needs some aging time in the cellar. I'm putting this away for at least six months to give it time to settle down. As of now, my "somewhat recommended" rating is more than enough. But there may be a good blend in there somewhere - crossing fingers!

ORIGINAL REVIEW 10/8/13

Sometimes I think that the reason I stink at blind tobacco taste tests is that I've smoked so many different tobaccos and I get confused and pick the wrong one when guessing the mystery blend. However, this one was so decidedly C&D-ish that I was surprised when I was told it was a Castello blend. Didn't know Castello blended tobacco and if it were sourced out, I'd assume Orlik or K&K or some Euroblender. Now I come here and find out that C&D did indeed blend this one. Maybe I don't stink as much as I thought.

The trouble is that I guessed this one first as Burley Flake #1 and then backed off and said Bayou Night. Oops - I guess I do stink as bad as I thought. Unfortunately, this one, as a VaPer, is so rough that it makes Bayou Night seem like a pussycat. There was an underlying sweetness but it had to be coaxed out. Mostly what I tasted was burley, and it makes me wonder if C&D didn't put BF #1 in my tin by mistake. Or at least a very young version of Bayou Night. This blend was deeply earthy, hardly sweet at all and showed only a whisp of perique saltiness (no plums, raisins or even pepper - just salt). The "burley" that apparently doesn't exist in this one was 85% of the flavor. Makes me think they plopped the wrong blend in the wrong tin. If not, this is a very temperamental VaPer that shows nothing of the excellence that C&D is capable of - witness their Bayou Morning blend, which is sweeter and gentler than Bayou Night but with tons of flavor. I may buy a tin of this to see if what I got was the real deal. This wasn't bad as it was but as a true VaPer, no thanks. I'll update this review when I buy myself a tin and finish it.
Please login to upvote this review.

target="_blank"