Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bright CR Flake

(3.45)
100% pure virginia leaf with no additional flavours made from a blend of Brazilian, Zimbabwe and Malawi bright Virginia leaf. The pressed tobacco as with all flakes, is left to mature before cutting into flakes, to allow for the best combination of flavours.

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Straight Virginia

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.45 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 51 - 60 of 75 Reviews
Oct 22, 2010 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant
An excellent tobacco. Highly Recommended. ***** 5 star.
Apr 19, 2010 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a first class Virginia flake for those who prefer a good sweet and true tobacco taste. It is a nice blend of dark and light Virginias and offers a very nice combination of flavors. It burns slow and cool giving a full satisfaction. However it may be light for nicotine kick lovers. For me it is an all day and any time smoke.

If you look for some complexity this might not fit to your needings. But for sure it will satisfy you with nice and remarkable flavorful smoke. I highly recommend it for pure and sweet Virginia smokers.
Mar 10, 2010 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A wonderful virginia-blend and a great introduction to the Floral-lakeland-tobacco-world. It has a very light floral taste/aroma...NOT soapy or perfumy. Once lit up you'll bring spring to life.

Fantastic natural sweetness. Indeed a great allday smoke.

It's really one of my favourites. Preferably smoked in a smaller to medium sized bowl.
Jul 01, 2009 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
Bulk: Looks identical to SG's FVF, black-brown tobacco pressed then cut into 6x1x1/16" sheets, maybe with slightly more mottling of blonde. Bright CR Flake is lighter, compared to SG's FVF's much deeper and resinous smell. Bright CR does have a very vague Kendal floral fragrance. The supply I was sent is almost dry but the pressed cut sheet is pliable.

Packing & Burning: It is folded in half and twisted into smaller flakes or splinters. The rubbed out flake is just dumped into the bowl and lightly tamped. Stays lit if the puffing rate is controlled. Takes one or two relights down the bowl. Being a hard, rubbed out flake, BCRF burns for a long time.

Taste & Aroma: A light smoke, smooth, mild, slightly sweet lemon, a slight floral note, with a very light grassiness. A mild oily, nutty flavor develops around mid bowl.

Nicotine: medium and lingering

Room Note: Quite mild for a VA, a light VA fragrance

Overall: SG's FVF has a competitor. BCRF is slightly more complex due to the vague citrus component and the slight transition down the bowl.

Orlik's Golden Slice has a similar texture, a strip of VA, but is substantially milder. Another good comparison is McClelland's No. 27 Virginia.
Jan 22, 2007 Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant
Pretty much what OSR said. It's a quality tobacco, but it's so mild that it borders on bland. For now I'll stay with Orlik's Golden Slices.
Jan 01, 2006 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant
This was the very first G H flake that I tried, and while there are many VA's I have not yet had the chance to smoke, I am certain Bright CR will remain a favorite. I loved this one from the first time I smoked it and was inspired to try more of the G H VA's. This is just a smooth, mild, slightly sweet VA. More full-bodied but not so sweet as something such as Orlik Golden Sliced, it leaves me feeling quite satisfied. I have not been bitten by it and think it could be an all-day smoke if one were so inclined. I keep a ridiculous amount of tobaccos in circulation but this is one that I find myself craving to smoke on a regular basis.
OSR
Apr 14, 2005 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable
I like virginia flake and prefer the blends that have some nicotine to them; F&T Cut Plug is one of my favorites.

Bright CR is (as always from G&H) quality virginia but is a little flat when it comes to the body I get from other flakes.

For those who like a mild VA this is a good one and has absolutely no bite. For me, I'll have to stick with flakes with a little more body.

Excellent quality! Low on taste.
Feb 09, 2005 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Virginia tobaccos from Africa and South America. Blended stacked pressed and sliced into long leathery bright flakes. Is this good? Absolutely, it's good. It is, as someone else has noted, very earthy,and tastes like tobacco. The room note is alomost cigarette like but sweeter. The taste is round and full, but in a sence mild as well. It does have a slight floral note,but it's restrained,and delicious.

Most highly recomended
JB
Apr 14, 2004 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
This blend DOES have a "bright" taste to it. This in contrast to Brown Flake which is earthy and medieval. CR Flake has a lively taste and a beautiful room smell.

I go through this stuff very quickly because it is an easy blend to smoke and is consistently good.

I think CR Flake would be a good tobacco for aromatic smokers to jump over to. Your pipes will thank you, trust me! 😉
Sep 25, 2002 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I have smoked about 10 bowls of this and think that I finally have it figured out enough to report what I?m seeing w/this blend.

I am not a regular flake smoker, but have tried various techniques over the years. After trying multiple times to use very lightly rubbed flakes, folding, rolling, what have you, I have finally settled on just rubbing it out, and this is now working for me.

This comes in a long, six inch or so, flake that is sometimes cut in half by tobacconists for the convenience of packaging. The flake is a mix of light and dark browns, with some bird?s eye showing. Flakes are thin, perhaps 2mm thick. The unsmoked scent is lightly floral and grassy.

This is a very nice flake. The initial flavor on first and on relights after a rested palate displate a floral scent that is pleasant and not overwhelming. It rapidly retreats to the background. I have noted a similar flavor in Sherlock Holmes. Both tobaccos are described as unflavored and natural by others; I do not know if this is due to limited familiarity with British Commonwealth VAs by me, or if the scent is natural and mischaracterized by me. The early flavors are very much in line with the unsmoked scent, dominated by a fairly light grassiness. I have not experienced any episode of ashy taste or bitterness, even with the 2-10 day periods that I use to smoke flakes at times.

All in all, a nice, light smoke that is not overwhelming on the palate.

September, 2002.